Charging at Condos & Apartments

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah I'm still trying the charge at work angle. That would work out better for me anyway because I really don't drive that much, like maybe 10 miles a day, and going through all this hassle to get one at home probably isn't cost-efficient. Although I do hope my apt. owner sees the benefits of installing it and owning it with the added benefit of charging for usage like smkettner suggested.

so on the heels of my last post in this thread, I've decided to go ahead and install a charging station at my apartment. I've gone back and forth so many times on it and I guess the impending range anxiety finally got to me. So I started back up pressuring my property owner a couple weeks ago to let me install one and they said yes yesterday! So now I'm in the process of getting the AV unit and having an electrician install it. I had the AV assessment back in Sept and they came back with a $4200 quote. The electrician today came for an assessment and they're recommending a whole other route than AV did. AV just wanted to run a circuit break (not sure if I'm explaining that correctly as I cannot access my quote right now) off of my meter outside and then run 170 feet to my parking space. The guy today said they'd have to run it from my breaker inside my apartment, drill two holes in my wall in my hallway, down through the floor, through my storage unit in my parking spot and then wall-mount the unit in front of my car. It sounds like it'll be expensive, I'm eagerly awaiting the estimate. Another hitch is the fact that I can't login to my Nissan account to order the AV unit. It's been locked since Thurs. and I contacted Live Chat today and they said give it two more days. With the holidays coming up, I'm feeling a lot of stress over it. So I'm back in hurry up and wait mode. I can't wait for the following 4 weeks to be over!

Mal,
Perhaps ...
Either call AV directly, or call Nissan CS (1-877-664-2738) and ask them to connect you to AV ... to get your "cash-n-carry" order for one of the AV EVSEs in ASAP, or at least PDQ?

Do you want the 15-foot e-hose, or the 25-foot? (probably only 15' for less cord "tangle and drag" ... unless you might back into the parking spot).

Cheers, Gary

so, the latest news, and it's good! Although my assessment with my electrician (Kim with the Electric Connection, on jpc2822's recommendation) is more complicated, it's going to be $1000 less than AV. And, according to them, to code! AV was suggesting some pretty weird stuff as it turns out. And my property manager is ok with all of it! whew! My dashboard is still locked so I can't order the AV unit through it but I just spoke with Sarah at AV (who is also awesome and very nice) and she's going to help me get one ordered today. So it looks like it's all coming together and I can stop worrying!

Mallory,

ask your electrician if there is a way to put in a 2nd meter in, without such a long run.... It might be less money to actually pay for the 2nd meter charge, and possibly also get the "EV rate", than run such huge length of copper (170'). If there is an electrical distribution room/area closer, located where the meters are, you wouldn't need to run it all the way to your existing panel/service. Also, if you ever move out, the "EV parking place" would already have a dedicated meter, not tied to any particular apartment. Just a thought.

They have a solution specifically for getting charging installed in Condo's run by HOAs and other multi-unit developments. They have a technology that enables EV charging in buildings without making the HOA to upgrade the whole building. Their service also includes a way for the HOA to recapture the electricity costs from the owner and even insurance for the equipment.

Also, you should know, it's illegal for the HOA to refuse to allow you to install charging equipement if you meet certain conditions... see CA SB209

I posted some information about the California Law here replying to a different thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9473" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back