Charging at Condos & Apartments

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mal,
Are there any parking spots near the (electrical :) ) meters?

Or, possibly parking near the PU's service transformer (possibly "hidden" and might not be near the meters, but near the spot that the "e-fuel" enters the property)?

gary, i don't know yet if I can park in a space closer to the meter. I doubt they'll let me do that though. I'll have to check on your other question, don't know about that.

I am thinking that eventually they would want an EV-parking area, and finding the easiest way to create one space (that could eventually, but easily, grow to 5 or 10 spaces), would be worth a few minutes of creative thought now.

gary, I agree with you. My landlord even said yesterday, "well, we'll probably have to eventually do it. the owner resisted on putting in cable for years and finally broke down because everyone was asking for it." But I feel like if they do it, it won't be for a couple more years. They won't even let us get satellite dishes or a/c units put in (and it was 100 degrees in Santa Monica the other day ugg).

smkettner, spots are assigned, they go in numerical order. There's only one space for each unit, no extra spots. I haven't spoken to the person who currently has that spot, but that's a good idea. I don't think that is the issue though. It sounds like they would resist on allowing me b/c if they let me do it, then they have to let everyone do it and it doesn't sound like they want to take that all on right now.

malloryk said:
They won't even let us get satellite dishes...

That is illegal. FCC has a specific order on this. Checkout out the FCC site. When I used to live in apartments, when moving I'd take a copy of the letter with me. Landlords would quickly change the tune in a hurry.

evnow, when I inquired about satellite dishes, it was like 10 years ago. I wasn't facing the right direction for a dish and they had rules about drilling into exterior walls or putting things on the roof. I'm sure the rules have changed since then. I have cable and I'm fine with it. I try to pick my battles! :)

Gary, if the forum wants to also take up a collection for me to move, then we'll talk :lol: I have rent control and love living in Santa Monica (and couldn't afford living here without the rent control).

malloryk said:
smkettner, spots are assigned, they go in numerical order. There's only one space for each unit, no extra spots. I haven't spoken to the person who currently has that spot, but that's a good idea. I don't think that is the issue though. It sounds like they would resist on allowing me b/c if they let me do it, then they have to let everyone do it and it doesn't sound like they want to take that all on right now.
Since the spaces are all reserved they must all be stipulated in the lease. Usually the spaces are assigned to give each maximum convenience of location as it pertains to the apartment. It is a hassle to make that other person swap without creating bad vibes so the LL may well hesitate and there could be other issues with that person that the LL does not want to address. Not to mention paperwork (ugg). Then again the person might be understanding and it is no big deal. It would help if you kinda broke the ice. But it is a tough balance because the LL does not want tenants making deals and running the show. So tread lightly and let the LL make the decision. If there is rent control the LL may well need to talk to their attorney as far as how this fits in with the law. That alone could take a month.
Good luck.

Landlords can still control mounting, safety, penetration of the structure, etc. A "clamp" mount might help with this issue.

Possibly "attaching" leadin wires and getting them from outside to inside could also be an issue.

However, if you can avoid all of that, and still "see" the satellites from your apartment, ... you can (most likely) use the antenna.

However many apartments either face the wrong way or are blocked by other structures.

malloryk said:
evnow, when I inquired about satellite dishes, it was like 10 years ago. I wasn't facing the right direction for a dish and they had rules about drilling into exterior walls or putting things on the roof. I'm sure the rules have changed since then. I have cable and I'm fine with it. I try to pick my battles! :)

Well, if you can't just put it in the balcony, FCC may not cover you, anyway.

BTW, did you check with the place where you work ? You may be able to get one of these charging network guys to put a charger there ...

I am working on getting chargers put in at work. Had no luck when I tried going through our facilities manager but i know through a mutual friend that the founder of our company wants to put them in. Just don't know when that will be. He owns a Tesla roadster and is also getting a Leaf (he's actually at the Test Drive event in Santa Monica today). I'm gonna try to track him down next week and broach the subject.

malloryk said:
I am working on getting chargers put in at work. Had no luck when I tried going through our facilities manager but i know through a mutual friend that the founder of our company wants to put them in. Just don't know when that will be. He owns a Tesla roadster and is also getting a Leaf (he's actually at the Test Drive event in Santa Monica today). I'm gonna try to track him down next week and broach the subject.
NEAT ! What company do you work at ?

malloryk said:

Cool - he would be really interested, I guess.

You can also talk to ChargePoint (look for that thread) - they install public chargers on a profit sharing basis ...

got my quote back today from AV for my apartment assessment: $4200! yikes! I still haven't heard back from the property manager if they'll let me install it but if they do, I probably won't because it's so expensive. If they do approve me, I'll probably look into the EVSEs for sale out there and find an electrician on my own.

What is AV suggesting that they will do for your install?

Tunnel under the sidewalk and mount an unlocked AV EVSE in your parking space?

If they are really doing what you want, and with this year's 50% tax credit on the EVSE job, it MIGHT be worth it?

Or, if the HOA approves, get another bid for basically the same work, maybe with a 240v socket in a fairly large locking cabinet (that could contain a plug-in EVSE).

Cheers, I get to LEAF-drive this morning! :)

garygid said:
What is AV suggesting that they will do for your install?

Tunnel under the sidewalk and mount an unlocked AV EVSE in your parking space?

If they are really doing what you want, and with this year's 50% tax credit on the EVSE job, it MIGHT be worth it?

Or, if the HOA approves, get another bid for basically the same work, maybe with a 240v socket in a fairly large locking cabinet (that could contain a plug-in EVSE).

Cheers, I get to LEAF-drive this morning! :)

this is what my quote said: Pull permit. Install (1) 40 Ampere 240 Volt circuit breaker in existing utility panel. Install 170 feet or less of feeder from utility panel to wall mounted Charging Dock. Feeder (Conduit or Romex wire) will be mounted to existing surfaces or run through crawl space or attic. Charging Dock will be installed on customer preferred location and will be fully tested and certified with proprietary service tool.

It's probably going to be a lot no matter who installs it. Does the tax credit cover installation too? well, I'll keep you guys posted.

Have a great time on your Leaf drive today! Hope it's all you want it to be! :)

Tax credit does include install. And the limit on the credit is much higher for a business.
In a way it makes more sense for the landlord to do the work and own the evse.
Might be prudent to install oversize conduit for future expansion etc.
Although if it were me(as a landlord) I think I would get a commercial unit with acess control.
And of course if I paid there would be an adustment to the rent (subject to rent control limits).

malloryk said:
got my quote back today from AV for my apartment assessment: $4200! yikes! I still haven't heard back from the property manager if they'll let me install it but if they do, I probably won't because it's so expensive. If they do approve me, I'll probably look into the EVSEs for sale out there and find an electrician on my own.
Ouch. Or you could try the charge-at-work alternative :p

Back