Charging 220 V at RV Parks?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I suggested to Ecotality / Blink that they consider RV parks - they were very interested and are looking into it. It seems they are hitting contractual / environmental / security issues everywhere which has greatly slowed their progress. The built in infrastructure, security, and a means to charge the customer makes it attactive to them.

Hey Electricfuture, Didn't see you at our San Diego EV meeting last Saturday (April 7).

Luigi explained and demonstrated their Andromeda QC portable unit called the ORCA. sounds like it has a lot of flexibility on the electric input options as well as controllable output. Check it out. Might work well at RV Park.

http://www.andromedapower.com/uploads/ORCA-Mobile_datasheet_120111.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yesterday I decided to take another range "test run" in my spanking new Leaf, and drove over to Zion National Park. When I got to the adjacent town, I had used 6 bars of charge to travel 49.5 miles, and the GOM showed 49 miles remaining. I probably could have made it home, since I would be dropping back down in elevation on the return trip. Nonetheless, I decided to add a few electrons at an RV Park, just to be safe.

I have to say that the two women working at the Quality Inn RV Park in Springdale were shockingly cold, abrasive, and downright snotty. Even though I offered to gladly pay them to plug in for an hour or two, they flatly refused, demanding that I pay for an entire overnight stay to use one of their outlets --even though the campground was half empty. So much for pleasing the customer.

On the other end of the spectrum, the woman at the Zion River Resort RV Park further down the road in Virgin was more than helpful and accommodating. She gladly let me plug in at an empty RV space and offered to only charge me for the kWh used. I read my book for a couple of hours, and ended up putting 8 kWh back into the pack --which came to a little over $1 at their utility rate. I paid $3 to show my appreciation and thanked her profusely for her kindness. Nice!

At any rate, if any of you actually venture to Zion in an EV someday, you now know of an RV Park that deserves your business --and one that does not.

Yanquetino said:
On the other end of the spectrum, the woman at the Zion River Resort RV Park further down the road in Virgin was more than helpful and accommodating. She gladly let me plug in at an empty RV space and offered to only charge me for the kWh used. I read my book for a couple of hours, and ended up putting 8 kWh back into the pack --which came to a little over $1 at their utility rate. I paid $3 to show my appreciation and thanked her profusely for her kindness. Nice!

At any rate, if any of you actually venture to Zion in an EV someday, you now know of an RV Park that deserves your business --and one that does not.

I have used RV parks to top off before and my experience is much the same as yours. It varies a lot from place to place and may even depend on who is working that day if they are friendly or not. I always offer to pay upfront for using their outlet and that seems to help. They are in business to make money after all and I am OK with that.

If you have some extra time it would be great if you could find an EV friendly business close to the park. Any place that is close to the Zions park shuttle system would be ideal. Then a person could drive into town, plug in and do some day hikes in the park while the EV charges up. The hotels or places where you could buy lunch might be worth asking at.

A hotel would also be good for out of town tourists that might rent an EV at the airport and stay the weekend. A food service type place would be good for locals like you.

Glad to hear that you are getting good use out of your new Leaf. Have fun showing off that new car.

KJD

lkkms2 said:
Hey Electricfuture, Didn't see you at our San Diego EV meeting last Saturday (April 7).

Luigi explained and demonstrated their Andromeda QC portable unit called the ORCA. sounds like it has a lot of flexibility on the electric input options as well as controllable output. Check it out. Might work well at RV Park.

http://www.andromedapower.com/uploads/ORCA-Mobile_datasheet_120111.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have forwarded this to the "Electric Highway" development people at the Dept. of Energy - here is my email:

"David,

I have attached the technical specifications for a portable fast charger costing $25,000 that can utilize single phase, 3 phase and DC inputs plus controlling input to mitigate utility high demand charges.

If DOE purchase these units and provides them to RV park owners gratis a nation wide Electric Highway could be in place in less than 2 years. The owners would be responsible for upkeep, maintenance and security and receive payment for it's use through either the network card or credit card, which is already built into the unit.

Consider - no installation charge - just plug it in. You can also communicate with it through the internet plus as it is portable low use units could be re-located to higher use areas in a day on the back of a truck.

I sincerely hope that this development brings your efforts to fruitation as this development eliminates virtually all impediments to the programs success."

Did you ever get a response?

electricfuture said:
lkkms2 said:

I have forwarded this to the "Electric Highway" development people at the Dept. of Energy - here is my email:

"David,

I have attached the technical specifications for a portable fast charger costing $25,000 that can utilize single phase, 3 phase and DC inputs plus controlling input to mitigate utility high demand charges.

If DOE purchase these units and provides them to RV park owners gratis a nation wide Electric Highway could be in place in less than 2 years. The owners would be responsible for upkeep, maintenance and security and receive payment for it's use through either the network card or credit card, which is already built into the unit.

Consider - no installation charge - just plug it in. You can also communicate with it through the internet plus as it is portable low use units could be re-located to higher use areas in a day on the back of a truck.

I sincerely hope that this development brings your efforts to fruitation as this development eliminates virtually all impediments to the programs success."

Back