Chargepoint at LAX... the only way to fly.. almost

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KeiJidosha said:
Frustrating.

The charging options at LAX are grossly insufficient. A sobering introduction to EV ownership.

Agreed.

I hope the person in question knew to have a plan B? I think that's an important point to raise with any newbie, what with the limited infrastructure just about everywhere right now!

mwalsh said:
KeiJidosha said:
Frustrating.

The charging options at LAX are grossly insufficient. A sobering introduction to EV ownership.

Agreed.

I hope the person in question knew to have a plan B? I think that's an important point to raise with any newbie, what with the limited infrastructure just about everywhere right now!
He planned, but was not thrilled, to stop at a Nissan Dealer somewhere between LAX and where he bought the car.

KeiJidosha said:
Frustrating.

I was at LAX today to drop off my Daughter. Went to Lot 1 to check out the charging and get ~30min bump to get me over the hill to Simi (110 mile round trip). 10 LEAF, 2 RAV4, 2 MINI E, 1 Smart ED, one empty parking space near the Avcons. While I got plugged in, a fellow with a leaf was wrestling with the ChargePoint to get it started. A lady with him was also struggling to see the display, both had ChargePoint cards. They were gone by the time I found a working Avcon. ~10 minutes later the guy was back struggling with the ChargePoint.

Turns out he got his LEAF yesterday, and was here at LAX, on his first trip. The Lady helping him earlier was a LEAF driver that has charged at LAX frequently. She had made sure the LEAF was set to charge, but had gone to catch a flight after a half hour on the phone with ChargePoint. Bottom line?, we could not get the charger to work, and the other L2 and both L1’s were in use. No joy.

This is another reason to just have lots of low power (5a to 20a) dumbell charging docks.... because the network communication to start the Chargepoint is not exactly foolproof.

kevintari said:
So are we all in agreement that if a plugged in car is fully charged, it's OK to unplug it and plug yourself in?

Heading to LAX tomorrow, looking forward to trying it out.
I would prefer to charge my LEAF to 100% just as I return by using the timer. Looks like immediate charge is needed if so many want to share. LEAF has no indicator that it is fully charged or is waiting for a timer. I think if I removed a charging cord I would also replace it when done.

mwalsh said:
cdub said:
How'd you charge with the Avcon? Or are you driving a RAV4?

KJ has every adapter known to man. I'll lay odds he has Avcon to MiniE.
He does have an Avcon inlet converter box. It's cool and I've thought about getting one myself but I don't reeeally need one - it'd be more for the novelty and history factor and wouldn't get used that often.

Also, Avcons were for the Honda EV+ and Ford Ranger EV. Only the Ranger is still on streets, and I haven't seen one in years. The RAV4 EVs and Chevy S10 EVs have inductive (paddle) charger connections.

Devin said:
mwalsh said:
cdub said:
How'd you charge with the Avcon? Or are you driving a RAV4?

KJ has every adapter known to man. I'll lay odds he has Avcon to MiniE.
He does have an Avcon inlet converter box. It's cool and I've thought about getting one myself but I don't reeeally need one - it'd be more for the novelty and history factor and wouldn't get used that often.

Also, Avcons were for the Honda EV+ and Ford Ranger EV. Only the Ranger is still on streets, and I haven't seen one in years. The RAV4 EVs and Chevy S10 EVs have inductive (paddle) charger connections.

Do you know why they didn't stick with the inductive paddle chargers?

cdub said:
Is there an Avcon to Leaf adaptor?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260828908295&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNAFP:US:1123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're rare but they can be found. For that type of a kit you'd need a 14-50P adapter for the evseupgraded portable charger as well. Not really a cheap/convenient setup given that most of the public Avcons should be converted to modern J1772 connectors some time in the nearish future.

Devin said:
most of the public Avcons should be converted to modern J1772 connectors some time in the nearish future.

Just like Carwings is going to show you all of the charging stations? Or as soon as we actually have L3 in SoCal? haha

cdub said:
Devin said:
most of the public Avcons should be converted to modern J1772 connectors some time in the nearish future.

Just like Carwings is going to show you all of the charging stations? Or as soon as we actually have L3 in SoCal? haha
I'd say there's a greater likelihood of the Avcons being removed or replaced within the next year. Keep in mind that many of the Avcon chargers currently in the wild are disabled or broken due to electronics malfunction, lack of maintenance, ICE collision, or broken plastic claw plugs.

Many of the Avcons ARE getting upgraded to J1772. One near me is submitting the paperwork for the upgrade now. We should see a lot of progress on this over the next months, with most of it completed in probably 6 to 12 months.

http://i.autobloggreen.com/2010/08/16/california-spends-1-9m-to-upgrade-existing-plug-in-vehicle-char/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If there's a particular Avcon site you'd really like to see upgraded soon, you can PM me and I may be able to find out more. In general, I would say not to get the Avcon adapter but instead work to get the Avcon site upgraded to J1772. There are funds to get many of the sites upgraded for free. Too bad Costco decided to rip out there EV Chargers instead of upgrading for free....

Flying out tonight, but did not want to risk not having enough charge to get home. So instead I stopped by Santa monica place, charge up my leaf while having a nice long dinner before heading to lax. I will park there for 3 weeks though, will I lose a bar or 2?

lettcco said:
Flying out tonight.... I will park there for 3 weeks though, will I lose a bar or 2?

You tell us !!!!

I'll bet you don't lose anything. Remember, however, that you need to check the actual bars before you leave for the planeby first turning off the car, and then turning it back on. Do you have one less now?

TonyWilliams said:
lettcco said:
Flying out tonight.... I will park there for 3 weeks though, will I lose a bar or 2?

You tell us !!!!

I'll bet you don't lose anything. Remember, however, that you need to check the actual bars before you leave for the planeby first turning off the car, and then turning it back on. Do you have one less now?

Thanks for the heads up...sure enough I lost a bar just turning the car off and back on. Now I have 8 total. but now I found a parking spot in lot 6 second floor right next to the elevator with a plug! So I will be trickling away.

say there is still no rule about ev must parkin the designated spot right?

Back