Chargepoint at LAX... the only way to fly.. almost

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great to hear. I haven't tried the 105 route before. I'll try it the next time. I usually do the 405 to Howard Hughes but that sounds like it's actually less distance and maybe less hills.

prberg said:
My favor to ask.. if anyone is going to be at LAX, could they plug me back in? -Peter
I'm dropping off at LAX Monday at 7am. I'll stop by and see if I can plug you in. Will also PM mwalsh if I succeed.

sparky said:
prberg said:
My favor to ask.. if anyone is going to be at LAX, could they plug me back in? -Peter
I'm dropping off at LAX Monday at 7am. I'll stop by and see if I can plug you in. Will also PM mwalsh if I succeed.

You guys are the best!! sparky got me plugged in and I just checked carwings and I'm all charged up. Will get home with no problems now. If anybody needs to unplug me (the red LEAF with the NASA sticker on the back) feel free to. Thanks for offering to help mwalsh! I will have to keep campaigning LAX to add more charging points for us.

What a great community we have here. If Burbank airport adds any charging stations (I have been asking them to) I can help over on this side of town (I live pretty close to that airport). Or if Lowes or IKEA adds charging stations over here, I can help.

We are making it work! how cool.

-Peter

prberg said:
...will have to keep campaigning LAX to add more charging points for us.
Given the nature of air travel from LAX, grounded wall outlets for L1 charging are all fine for park'n'fly, since the EV is going to sitting around. Of course, for PU and DO, an L3 charger is what is required, and should be aligned with all transit corridors (which of course, is a popular sentiment around here, I think).

Glad it worked out so well for you too!

I made my first inspection of both lot 1 and lot 6 at LAX last night. I was amazed to see that with the 20 EVSE's in lot 6 and 10 in lot 1 only TWO were J1772 compatible.

As it's been mentioned here a few times, this is unacceptable! We need to strongly advocate that dozens of J1772 units be installed and for a significantly reduced cost simple access to 120volt 20amp plugs be made available.

The problem that I see as a new Leaf owner is that we do not have a unified voice to advocate these infrastructure changes. Yes we need to individually raise our voice and advocate for change but if we do so collectively we have a much better chance of success.

So who is it that is working for US with a loud voice to help advocate for the changes that EV owners need to see in the infrastructure? Simply put we need our collective voice to be heard on this issue and I'm at a loss to know who to turn to for help. Is it AAA, or Plug-in-America or some other organization?

For those that have been on this forum longer than I have, please point me in the right direction as I look for an organization that will help bring our issues forward with a collective "EV owners" voice.

Thanks!

Corey Ferguson

First time parking my Leaf at LAX this past weekend. I've never seen so many Leafs in a single location. Parked my car there Friday morning and left this Monday afternoon. I was fortunate enough to find a free plug to recharge my car while I was gone. Left a note to let others know that they could unplug me once my charging was done. We definitely need more than 2 stations!

Got a good laugh when I left. Saw an ED Smart car there! :D

CJF said:
So who is it that is working for US with a loud voice to help advocate for the changes that EV owners need to see in the infrastructure? Simply put we need our collective voice to be heard on this issue and I'm at a loss to know who to turn to for help. Is it AAA, or Plug-in-America or some other organization?
I'd expect it to be the Electric Auto Association, http://www.electricauto.org/. Quite a few of the more active and knowledgeable people on this forum have signatures indicating they are members of state EV associations.

I keep hoping they will propose and lobby for model EV charging signage and towing laws. I hope they will propose uniform public charging protocols. E.g., I read some here who assert that charging cables should be unplugged and plugged to maximize EVSE usage, and some others who assert just as strongly that when in doubt you must never touch a cable to someone else's car. I don't know which side has the better argument, but I do know there will be chaos if different people are following different rules. I'd like some driver's organization like EAA to advocate some uniform protocol, and maybe even put it into law so that new EV drivers like myself would pay attention to it. A large organization could have a strong enough voice to make airport operators realize that many L1 charging stations are needed for long term parking, and L2 and L3 are needed for short term parking. A large organization could make retail stores realize that they will win few new friends and customers with L2 charging stations that are more expensive than gasoline.

But EAA seems very quiet. I keep hoping they will have a major membership drive, and thousands of us will join, we'll see many of the leaders on this forum show up as leaders in EAA, and we'll regularly read news reports about policies adopted by EAA.

Or maybe if EAA isn't the right organization, then AAA will fill the role. But I agree with you that someone has to do it, and I'm ready to support the organization that does.

walterbays said:
CJF said:
I'd expect it to be the Electric Auto Association, http://www.electricauto.org/. Quite a few of the more active and knowledgeable people on this forum have signatures indicating they are members of state EV associations.

I keep hoping they will propose and lobby for model EV charging signage and towing laws. I hope they will propose uniform public charging protocols. E.g., I read some here who assert that charging cables should be unplugged and plugged to maximize EVSE usage, and some others who assert just as strongly that when in doubt you must never touch a cable to someone else's car. I don't know which side has the better argument, but I do know there will be chaos if different people are following different rules. I'd like some driver's organization like EAA to advocate some uniform protocol, and maybe even put it into law so that new EV drivers like myself would pay attention to it. A large organization could have a strong enough voice to make airport operators realize that many L1 charging stations are needed for long term parking, and L2 and L3 are needed for short term parking. A large organization could make retail stores realize that they will win few new friends and customers with L2 charging stations that are more expensive than gasoline.

But EAA seems very quiet. I keep hoping they will have a major membership drive, and thousands of us will join, we'll see many of the leaders on this forum show up as leaders in EAA, and we'll regularly read news reports about policies adopted by EAA.

Or maybe if EAA isn't the right organization, then AAA will fill the role. But I agree with you that someone has to do it, and I'm ready to support the organization that does.

Thanks for the lead to EAA....frankly I have not seen their web site in the past.

Does anyone have the contact information on the LADWP decision maker on adding more charging stations at LAX?

Going to LAX early tomorrow morning (Fri 8/12) - anyone see a problem getting a charging spot and leaving the car there until Monday?

rpmdk said:
Going to LAX early tomorrow morning (Fri 8/12) - anyone see a problem getting a charging spot and leaving the car there until Monday?
I think you will be fine, in lot one you can park inside and pull the cord over the wall if the official spots are full. I pulled in last Thursday night at 11:50 PM and was able to do this with a j1772. I got home Early Tuesday morning and someone had grabbed the cord, closed my charge hatch, and gotten themselves a charge. I was glad they did, since I was fully charged and didn't leave a note - I knew it would get to full charge in just a few hours, but I didn't want to spare the electrons on the way home so I was happy to get a charge. I also had no phone service where I went, so I didn't call the car at all.

It looks to me like you can see on the charger if a car is finished charging, so taking the cord off a fully charged car should not be an issue. With the Leaf the blue dots on the dash are easy to see as well, not sure about the VOlt and other ev's, so look on the charger to see if they are done with it, but weren't around to unplug it. I don't like the idea of a sign telling a potential thief how long you will be away from the car, so for me the rule is - if it is fully charged, unplug it, if it is still charging, leave it alone.

It was pretty cool to see the $155 charge for parking get waived, but at 2 in the morning the few minutes it took to get it waived seemed like it took forever. I did feel sorry for the ICE that pulled up behind me though. Streamlining that process would be nice, but it still took less time than waiting for a bus to take me to the other lots.

Thank you very much for replying Caracalover - Looking fwd to my 1st public charge and free LAX parking!

I was thinking I could leave a note saying unplug me anytime after 10:00AM - then people wouldn't have to know how long the car will be there.

rpmdk said:
Spots that are close enough to charge can be scarce. I'm amazed at how many LEAFs I see huddled around those two Lot 1 ChargePoint stations lately.
Having an extension cord (3-prong, 14+ gauge, outdoor) is useful in case you can't park close enough to use the L2 nor reach the 120V outlet with your L1 EVSE. When I was there Monday, there were no spots close enough to charge without an extension cord. You might also want some way to secure your L1 EVSE from theft.

Thanks Sparky that was my major concern - not being able to get a charge - I'll do 100% tonight and I should be able to make it back if I can't charge

Caracalover said:
I don't like the idea of a sign telling a potential thief how long you will be away from the car, so for me the rule is - if it is fully charged, unplug it, if it is still charging, leave it alone.
No reason to say anything on the note but that they can unplug anytime after the blue lights stop flashing if you don't want to...but the note let's them know it's OK.

So are we all in agreement that if a plugged in car is fully charged, it's OK to unplug it and plug yourself in?

Heading to LAX tomorrow, looking forward to trying it out.

I did a test run on Saturday and made it back to my house with 2 bars to spare.

Took 4 bars getting there and 6 bars getting back using the 2 to the 5 to the 110 to the 105.

There were at least 15 Leafs there, 2 RAV 4s, and 1 volt. I actually could have plugged in the the L2 if I ran a cable inside but I wanted to see if I could make it back without charging.

There were a ton of paddle chargers. UPGRADE THOSE! It's a no brainer. Or do a hybrid where it has all 3. But really there should be 2 paddle chargers and the rest all Chargepoints.

Frustrating.

I was at LAX today to drop off my Daughter. Went to Lot 1 to check out the charging and get ~30min bump to get me over the hill to Simi (110 mile round trip). 10 LEAF, 2 RAV4, 2 MINI E, 1 Smart ED, one empty parking space near the Avcons. While I got plugged in, a fellow with a leaf was wrestling with the ChargePoint to get it started. A lady with him was also struggling to see the display, both had ChargePoint cards. They were gone by the time I found a working Avcon. ~10 minutes later the guy was back struggling with the ChargePoint.

Turns out he got his LEAF yesterday, and was here at LAX, on his first trip. The Lady helping him earlier was a LEAF driver that has charged at LAX frequently. She had made sure the LEAF was set to charge, but had gone to catch a flight after a half hour on the phone with ChargePoint. Bottom line?, we could not get the charger to work, and the other L2 and both L1’s were in use. No joy.

The charging options at LAX are grossly insufficient. A sobering introduction to EV ownership.

Back