ChargePoint America Free Home Charging Station

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm the OP in this thread and I'm happy to report that, as of 5/15 my Chargepoint equipment is up and running. My total cost: $86.52 (permit fees-Sacramento County). Total time from application to completion: 60 days. Much of that time was spent waiting for my utility (SMUD) to install a second meter which they require in order to receive their reduced off-peak EV rate. If I had chosen to come off my existing meter at regular rates I would have shaved off about three weeks.

My install was quoted by Solarcity at $950 but Coulomb covered up to $1200 in my case. My original quote, which was for a simple install before they knew I needed the second meter, was $600.

I just received my Quote from clean fuel connections for this charger and they want over $1600 dollars to install it after the $600 discount. I have a 50 amp sub in my garage less than 20 feet away and my main is only 75 feet away. They have over $700 in permit fees and inspections in the quote. I doubt the City of Sacramento will charge that much and they are not including the smud meter in their quote. I may just order a EVSE from home depot and have a respectable contractor install it and file the permits myself.

I've heard that Sac City permits were higher than Sac County but if your Chargepoint America application has been approved the EVSE itself is free. $2200 (before rebates) for an install like that seems high. Is Clean Fuel Connections the contractor Coloumb assigned to your job? If so, maybe you could ask for a different one. I was assigned Solar City and my estimate without permits was $600 for the simple install without the second meter. That was before any rebates. County permits were $83.

I don't blame you for looking elsewhere for that price.

I highly recommend that if you get such a high quote you get a quote from a local electrician to do all the permitting and actual work. Then get the CPA assigned contractor to give you a quote for an EVSE replacement instead of a new install. Doing this dropped my quote from over 700 to under 400. Also don't be afraid to email CPA and complain.

So I complained to the company and they called to clarify my quote(apparently their own estimator was not clear enough) they lowered my quote quite a bit I still don't think it is any special deal with over $800 in labor alone in it looks to me like they are just buffering their quote to make an extra 600 on the rebate. but it may now be cheaper than buying one and having it installed. I think I may call solar city to see if they are still an authorized installer and if theycan take it over.
Thank you for all the help and advice.

For those who are this program - are the EVSEs hardwired or are they like the Blink units here in San Diego with a 240V NEMA 6-50 plug?

After going back and forth between CPA and Verdek I got mine installed for 370. I had my own electrician pre-run the wire and reuse my existing breaker.

I was able to get mine connected via a 14-50 by being very nice to the local contractor and having the cord already.

Back