Charge Port Cover

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's very nice. Looks good and serves an important function too. I'd buy one if my employer would get off his *** and install a charger (will probably never happen).

garygid said:
If the cover will not work with some commonly-encountered J1772 plug handles, is there an "easy" to adapt it to these handles, or is it too messy to consider?

Sure, easy with a simple saw blade. I plan to make those modifications to mine.

I cant find the part #s but here are the parts

1. Front Under protector ( in black )

2. Fog ring illuminator

3.Emblem with illumination

Can do paypal

Here's some pictures with the Blink EVSE handle:

651bbc54.jpg

86f1f27a.jpg

286699a1.jpg

I think something added to the bottom that might be compatible with the Yazaki DC charger handle.

Talk of modifying or adapting the cover to accommodate the Blink EVSE handles reminds me of the charge door locking adapter that Ingineer made out of a small piece of metal. I can't seem to find the post about it though. I would think the same idea could work here in that a small piece of metal could be used to extend the locking mechanism for use with the Blink EVSE handles when needed.

FYI, We are going to Import about 10 of these..
Please PM us if your interested. We will also put them up on our sites for Sale. But if you PM me I will hold one for ya.

We will also get some of the Light Kits and LED back Lit Emblems.

garygid said:
If the cover will not work with some commonly-encountered J1772 plug handles, is there an "easy" to adapt it to these handles, or is it too messy to consider?

it really depends on the size of the Handel.. you can cut up the cover a bit.. but its not the best idea.

I am mulling a small, lightweight, collapsible and cheap way to keep a "wintery mix" of snow, ice, water, and re-frozen water out of the charge port this winter. It does not need to lock. It doesn't need to be particularly watertight. It just needs to block snow that might be blown into the charge port area from the wide-open front or from the left or right side. I would even permit the back 10% to remain open to stuff rolling off the motor's hood.

My goal is to reduce--not eliminate--the total icy burden by blocking, say, 80% of any snow/ice that would tend to blow into the charge port area, and I am picturing that the the regular (body color) nose hood is lowered to its "middle-closed" position so that rain/snow will flow frontwards, down, and off.

I was thinking of simply building a prototype out of corrugated cardboard that was as simple as:

1) A rectangular central section about 6" high 12" wide with a 1" wide slit for the cord to pass through
2) Tapered/trapezoidal wings/tabs on both sides that either
- fit/wedged within the nose door's hinges, or
- wrap around outside the hinges
3) It would be held in place by the force of the nose door's closing mechanism and by friction at its edges.
4) If that won't hold, I'd consider velcro as a fastener, with a few "hook" spots on the shield and a few fuzzy loop bits of velcro on the car

If the cardboard shape basically worked, I would then make a final version out of corrugated plastic (such as yard signs can be made of).

If it works, I'd probably make a "home" copy (I charge outside) and a "travel" copy (to keep in the car) and also post a PDF pattern here. I might even make a version that could be permanently mounted on my charger cord, but slid closer to or farther from the end, just to make handling the grip/trigger easier.

Any thoughts before I get started?

Any progress on creating a charge port cover? I spent 15 minutes trying to get the snow and ice out of the port area yesterday and I'm eager for a solution.

I attached a slice of a used Tyvek envelope to span the gap between the leading edge of the hood and the the trailing edge of the charge door.

It acts as a dam to stop snow sliding down the hood and into the port area, and ice is easily shed from the slippery, flexible Tyvek. It only spans the gap between the door's hinges, so it is more of a "diverter" than a full shield, but diversion seems to make the glaciers flowing down my hood slow and go around.

It is pre-creased so it can both expand as the door opens and self-fold as the door closes. I attached it with blue tape but will upgrade it by attaching it under the lid and radiator's black trim liners when the tape fails.

My unsolved problem is ice accumulation at the bottom/leading corners of the charge area which makes re-closing hard because the door can't quite latch. Ice in these front corners (on the "body" side of the gasket) seems hard to prevent short of a full, store-bought cover

Back