Challenge - drive up Stevens Pass from West Side

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackleaf

I've seen that ChargePoint network shows a couple of operational charging stations at Steven's pass. Anyone want to try go get up there (and back) from the West side of the pass. Seems like a long way from nearest charger unless someone lives in Monroe!

I did it from the East Side--East Wenatchee that is.

58.5 miles virtually all up hill==aririved with 8 miles on the guessometer--actually 3 bars. Regenerated on the way down and arrived at home with 60 miles on guessomenter. All in all the trip began at 100% charge and ened with 50% after traveling 117 miles round trip.

The Monroe news paper had an article on L2 and L2 chargers comming soon to Route 2......this should be a doable trip in the near future.

I made it up this past week and charged at the Stevens Pass Chargepoint chargers. They worked well. It was a journey though. Drove to Duvall, charged at the fire station charger (I think this is the closest charger to the pass) for 1:45 until it was full again, then went 35-55mph until Skykomish where it starts to get steep. Went 35-40 mph up the steep portion to the pass. Arrived with sweaty palms, one bar and one mile left on the guessometer. I suspect that it could have gone further though (the estimated range dropped quickly over the last few miles). Never went into turtle mode. Also of note, I was the only person in the car (plus skis and a snowboard).

I charged from 10AM to 4PM while I went skiing and returned to a fully charged car. An interesting note... you don't really need to recharge fully at the top. I did and the car refused to regenerate during the first 10 miles of descent as the batteries were completely full. I didn't want to risk it though as I had 80 miles of mostly freeway driving ahead of me in order to get home. Made it home with "15 miles" of range left.

It can be done but it's risky... If you want to try it definitely bring your cell. Also, do it during hours when there is no rush up to Stevens Pass. I pulled over to stop and let people pass about 4-5 times (wasting energy getting going again). Other than those stops and the fact that I was going about 50mph over the flat portions of the drive, I don't think there was much more that I could have done to be more efficient.

...this was all in eco mode without climate control. Good luck if you want to try it!!

Just looked at this drive on Google Maps. From Duvall, it appears that you had to climb 3800' over 59 miles. Well done.

For comparison, I've driven 50 miles with a 5000' net climb, involving 55 mph on a freeway for over 30 miles, plus a 14 mile mountain climb at about 35 mph. I started with 100% SOC and five battery temperature bars, and got a "low battery" warning (17% SOC) just before arrival. My use of climate control was quite minimal.

How many battery temperature bars did you have when you left Duvall? Perhaps you'd have had a better margin doing that drive with a warmer battery pack.

Also, driving more slowly up the steep part of the pass might help if you can get away with it. Particularly when I'm range constrained, I try to limit motor power to about 20 kW (shown on the Energy Info screen); it seems that the car/battery is less efficient at higher power levels.

You guys need a QC partway up the hill! (We could use a few of those here in SoCal as well. :D )

jhutten21 said:
Has this skykomish qc site actually been confirmed? This would be a great location for it.

according to DOT, Feb 15th is essentially ribbon cutting day for "virtually all" of the 9 QC's they have planned, along I-5 and Rt 2 to Leavenworth. Progress is active, they are pushing and still we all need to realize this has never been done before and may involve unforeseen snags, but it's looking pretty solid and the EATON QC's are looking to be reliable so far!

jhutten21 said:
I made it up this past week and charged at the Stevens Pass Chargepoint chargers. They worked well. It was a journey though. Drove to Duvall, charged at the fire station charger (I think this is the closest charger to the pass) for 1:45 until it was full again, then went 35-55mph until Skykomish where it starts to get steep. Went 35-40 mph up the steep portion to the pass. Arrived with sweaty palms, one bar and one mile left on the guessometer. I suspect that it could have gone further though (the estimated range dropped quickly over the last few miles). Never went into turtle mode. Also of note, I was the only person in the car (plus skis and a snowboard).

I charged from 10AM to 4PM while I went skiing and returned to a fully charged car. An interesting note... you don't really need to recharge fully at the top. I did and the car refused to regenerate during the first 10 miles of descent as the batteries were completely full. I didn't want to risk it though as I had 80 miles of mostly freeway driving ahead of me in order to get home. Made it home with "15 miles" of range left.

It can be done but it's risky... If you want to try it definitely bring your cell. Also, do it during hours when there is no rush up to Stevens Pass. I pulled over to stop and let people pass about 4-5 times (wasting energy getting going again). Other than those stops and the fact that I was going about 50mph over the flat portions of the drive, I don't think there was much more that I could have done to be more efficient.

...this was all in eco mode without climate control. Good luck if you want to try it!!

Awesome Jhutten21! I appreciate your adventuresome spirit. You did it just as I was thinking I'd try, but I haven't screwed up my courage. I've had some great trips on weekend vacations to Whidbey Island and the Peninsula from Kirkland, but nothing as daring as Stevens from the west side.

Thanks for the report.

Back