Chademo error - cannot communicate with vehicle.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkie

I've searched the forum and cannot find what is happening to my leaf. I have a 2011 with 2 bars gone. Lost second bar at 29995 miles. I'm currently at 36435 miles. I've been recently using the qc at the mall in the morning when I'm close to work. Then I use a qc when I'm close to home in the evening. Round trip is 86 miles. However yesterday when I tired to qc at the charger near the house it stated there was a communication error with the vehicle. So I checked to make sure vehicle was off which it was then I checked qc and it was seated and locked properly. I called the charger manufacturer and they tried to reset but nothing worked. I ended up charging via L2. Then this morning I tried at the qc charger near work and same thing happened. This time there was a light on instrument panel for ev issue. I also helped another leaf driver plug into the qc. She was having some issues with it. Her car charged and she was on her way. But the L2 and trickle still works. Could it be a fuse or a relay? I'm hoping this will not be a costly repair and that someone might have a clue at to what is going on. Thanks in advance.

Is the EV warning light still showing on the dash? Maybe there was a DTC set that needs to be cleared.

I've gotten the "failure to communicate" a few times but always assumed it was the charger's fault since I had had no problem charging on other QCs afterwards.

I had the same problem, it was intermittent at first. Then in January, this year, it was almost every time. I checked the 12v battery, as i was pointed towards that, and it registered a good 13+volts. I went ahead and purchased a new one since i assumed it was the original battery. All QC problems went away. Mine WAS the 12v Battery. Nissan Dealer sold me one for $99, no exchange for the core.

I'm assuming it is the original. The car was bought used. The 12v battery is putting out between 12.96 and 13.04v.

I found the voltage reading the same as the new one I put in mine. It must be some other detail with an older battery that causes the trouble.

Do you have Leaf Spy Pro? I found all sorts of DTCs that would reappear until I got the new battery.

Wow! I got mine in 2011. This is the first I heard that the 12V battery might be the issue. I've never been able to charge reliably at the QC's. It's always "unable to communicate with vehicle." I probably succeeded only 15% of the time I tried. I pretty much just assumed the whole QC thing was a phony marketing gimmick and I paid an extra $2K for that useless port. Whenever I've posted on this forum about it people always told me I was doing it wrong, even when I explained that it worked earlier in the day at that same QC then wouldn't later.

Rat said:
Wow! I got min in 2011. This is the first I heard that the 12V battery might be the issue. I've never been able to charge reliably at the QC's. It's always "unable to communicate with vehicle." I probably succeeded only 15% of the time I tried. I pretty much just assumed the whole QC thing was a phony marketing gimmick and I paid an extra $2K for that useless port. Whenever I've posted on this forum about it people always told me I was doing it wrong, even when I explained that it worked earlier in the day at that same QC then wouldn't later.

if you have Leaf Spy Pro, does your car report any DTC's when you scan for them? I had a whole host of things that related to operations in the car that was of a concern to me at the time. I would reset them and see if they came back, which all of them did within the same day. After the NEW 12v battery was installed, no new DTCs can be found and QC has worked every time since.

Report back if you do replace it.

my original post about issues I found with DTCs
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21235

I would usually see something like this when it did finally START charging and then fail but most of the failures where that it wouldn't even start and tell me about communication errors. here is a picture below and YES the car was turned off each time.

IMG_20151007_180306843.jpg

I appreciate the advice, but I don't have a smart phone so the app is out. It's so rare now for me to travel more than 40 miles in a day (maybe 3 or 4 times a year) that I just take the ICE car when I do. I really have gotten so that I have no interest in the QC. The infrastructure around here is so bad anyway, that even if I fixed the problem, I wouldn't use the QCs. Everyone complains about the QCs being out of service or occupied. The Leaf has been great for the local driving I do, though, but my garage Level 2 is fine for what I do.

B2802: (this is a failsafe condition for the charger)
Q/CHG ISOLATION SIGNAL ERROR (Signal stuck high): When quick charge is started, the isolation check completion signal that is sent from the quick charger could not be received.
Q/CHG ISOLATION SIGNAL ERROR (Signal stuck low): When quick charge is started, the isolation check completion signal that is sent from the quick charger by an abnormal timing.
Possible cause:
Harness or connectors (Quick charge port circuit is open or shorted)
Quick charger
Quick charge port
On-board charger

Diagnostic Procedure:
- Turn Power On, Erase DTC, Turn Power Off
- Try charging with different QC to see if DTC returns
- Insect QC Port foreign substances, cracking, or damage, clean or replace
- Check continuity from QC harness connector (E70) to OBC harness connector (B25)
- Check continuity from QC port to QC harness connector

P3173: (possible failsafe condition for VCM):
ON BOARD CHARGER SYSTEM: VCM detects an error signal that is received from on-board charger via CAN communication.
Possible cause:
On-board charger

Diagnostic Procedure:
- Run diagnostics on OBC (requires consult)

I'm assuming the VCM code (P3173) is a response to the error condition from the OBC (B2802), so I would try to diagnose that. Start with resetting the DTCs on both the OBC and VCM. Make sure they are gone before you try to QC again. If you have the option, try a different charger to rule out an issue with the QC. If the DTC comes back, the issue seems likely to be in the QC port connection to to the charger (port may be dirty or damaged?), in the wiring between the QC port and the OBC (QC Start/Stop signal and QC Permit signal), or in the OBC itself.

If you have to trace out signals you'll want the service manual, which can be found for free from one of the nissan clubs if you search online. You'll need at least the EVC, VC and PG sections.

Rob

I have most of my quick charge problems at Blink charge stations. A hard reset on the charger usually clears them up. When that hasn't worked check if you have something plugged into the 12v accessory slot. Not sure if its a cause but when I have had my phone plugged in I have received a QC error. Another instance I was unable to charge with my home 110v charger and no QC. I ended up finding a 240v public station (clipper creek) and it reset the car charged and I was able to QC and use the 110 again.

Just to update everyone. I took the leaf to nissan of Athens about the quick charge not working. They tested it. It had gone out. Luckily it is still covered under warranty. 60 months; 60,000 miles. It was a $3200.00 part if it was out of warranty.

Sparkie said:
Just to update everyone. I took the leaf to nissan of Athens about the quick charge not working. They tested it. It had gone out. Luckily it is still covered under warranty. 60 months; 60,000 miles. It was a $3200.00 part if it was out of warranty.

I'm based in the UK and I'm currently in the process of having my OBC replaced under warranty as well. I hope where you are the parts are available, I have been without my car for 5 weeks and counting with no clear date for when the OBC will arrive. I have a few issues with warranty ownership that has delayed it but the part is still taking far to long to arrive and be fitted. Ultimately its was a Nissan warranty as my car is a 2012 with 12,000 miles on the clock.
I'm pretty annoyed at present, I'm driving a fossil burner to add insult to injury...

Back