Carwings VIN conflict

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvansvilleLeaf

I'm not too bothered about Carwings so it took me a while to know I had a problem and a while more to work out via CS why.

It turns out that there is somebody else with my VIN entered on their CW account. What this means is that every day or two I get kicked out of CW and my remote access/data stops working. Now as we all know CS is another term for fricking useless but the idea that CW has no database admin who can lock out a fake VIN (I've sent them a pic from my VIN plate to prove it's mine) is beyond belief.

Anybody else have/had this problem who can supply better suggestions other than sign in every time I get in the car to kick out the interloper and make sure I'm correctly linked?

And of course - anybody who has this problem and has a CW VIN ending in the same numbers as mine (look left) please do us both a favor and get your dealer to register your own VIN with Carwings.

I re-sign for my driving records daily, but remote control, charge messages, and charge level works all time, is that your case too?

EdmondLeaf said:
I re-sign for my driving records daily, but remote control, charge messages, and charge level works all time, is that your case too?

Nope - every day or so I get a "VIN doesn't match" message when I use either owner portal or phone app. I can get access to it back only by signing in through the car, presumably kicking out the VIN cuckoo until they do the same to me.

Also, Carwings does not reliably keep my history even when I am signed into it, and there is no pattern I can detect. Have no data for much of March and none at all in April, even though for a good chunk of April I made sure I was signed in for at least some of every day.

Owner portal says "CARWINGS PIN and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) do not match."
Try the following steps

1. Make sure the VIN registered on the owner portal is the same vehicle you signed in with your CARWINGS PIN and password.
2. If the VIN is correct attempt to sign in again.
Click "MANAGE ACCOUNT" in the owner portal.
Click "EDIT/ADD VEHICLE INFORMATION".
Write down your CARWINGS PIN and CARWINGS Password (case sensitive).
Turn on your Nissan LEAF.
Accept terms and conditions in vehicle's navigation system (NAVI).
Press "Menu" button on the console to the right of the touch screen.
Touch "CARWINGS".
Touch "CARWINGS Settings".
Touch "Sign In" then enter your CARWINGS PIN and password (case sensitive).
Touch "Send ID and password" then touch "Yes".
Please wait while your account is activated. It should only take a few moments. Once completed, "Account Activated" message should appear.
Close and reopen your browser then log back in to your owner portal account.
That is not very helpful. Only thing that what I will do in this case I will remove and establish new account, but in that case all your history will be gone

EdmondLeaf said:
Owner portal says "CARWINGS PIN and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) do not match."
Try the following steps

1. Make sure the VIN registered on the owner portal is the same vehicle you signed in with your CARWINGS PIN and password.
2. If the VIN is correct attempt to sign in again.
Click "MANAGE ACCOUNT" in the owner portal.
Click "EDIT/ADD VEHICLE INFORMATION".
Write down your CARWINGS PIN and CARWINGS Password (case sensitive).
Turn on your Nissan LEAF.
Accept terms and conditions in vehicle's navigation system (NAVI).
Press "Menu" button on the console to the right of the touch screen.
Touch "CARWINGS".
Touch "CARWINGS Settings".
Touch "Sign In" then enter your CARWINGS PIN and password (case sensitive).
Touch "Send ID and password" then touch "Yes".
Please wait while your account is activated. It should only take a few moments. Once completed, "Account Activated" message should appear.
Close and reopen your browser then log back in to your owner portal account.
That is not very helpful. Only thing that what I will do in this case I will remove and establish new account, but in that case all your history will be gone

This will still leave the conflict though. My VIN is correct - but when the incorrect VIN owner signs in again it will kick me out.

My CW/driving record part work Ok for a 1 month than I had only remote functions. I talk to CS and they reset my connection, all functions returned for about 2 wk. Than again same thing, remote functions but no driving records. I call again and was advised to check few things and re-sign. Re sign only work for a day so need to re sign everyday. Last time I talk to CS they told me that I have to get latest software update otherwise they not able to do anything. Re-sign does not bother me and I am determined to do so till end of free period. What I mentioned in previous message you may try to remove your current account and establish new one I strongly believe you will have good service for some time but who knows for how long http://www.digitaltuning.com/xd9/carwings_1-12.pdf

I've done exactly this routine many times. It's the only way I get back remote apps etc. My problem is that somebody else is signing in which kicks me out. I then do the same to him/her, again following the routine above. The driving history does not correlate at all to when I had remote Carwings access and I can detect no pattern. Right now it says I took two trips on Friday for 8.3 miles when I know full well I took two for 17 or so, and that I took one trip for 6 on Sunday when I know I took two for 12 or 13. It does not show any other trips in April when I know I take at least two trips daily, and had CW access for at leasty half the month, on and off. My guess is that there is some kind of daily "trigger time" at which history is transferred to the driving history dashboard, and if the other owner is signed in at that excact time he gets the history not me. Signing in every day is not the issue. It's that at random times, on random days, the interloper signs in and kicks me out, and the buffoons at CS refuse to do anything about it.

IMHO eliminating another user of your VIN should be fairy simple because CW track your location beside other things. I heard that there will be another CW update within few months so there is hope. Call CS, as I said they help me once to establish all for few weeks, so with some luck you may get that person and hopfully resolution. Unfortunately during chat with Mark Perry none of my CW questions got answered.

The correct solution seems to be to have CS change the carwings password on your account so the other fellow can't log in. Have you checked with CS to see if they can do this?

DoxyLover said:
The correct solution seems to be to have CS change the carwings password on your account so the other fellow can't log in. Have you checked with CS to see if they can do this?
It wouldn't help. The problem isn't that the other guy is logging into EdmondLeaf's account, it's that the other guy's account hand EdmondLeaf's VIN in it, so they keep fighting over the car's info. The mistake is Nissan's (or CarWings) and they are the only ones who could possibly fix it. He's just going to have to keep yelling at them and escalating until they give in.

Just started having the exact same problem this afternoon. Were they able to get it resolved for you?

Spoke to Nissan support they said a bunch of people were calling in with the same issue.

If you have a NissanUSA login, can you login to an Owner's Portal
and then just add any (valid) VIN you wish, as if you own that LEAF?

Originally, it would say that the VIN was already "in use", I believe.

If not, how are these "duplicate" VINs getting into the Carwings system?

Can CS enter a VIN and see who has "registered" it, as the owner?

Can a Dealer enter a VIN and find the "Owner" in some Nissan database?

I wouldn't necessarily assume that the problem is really caused by multiple accounts with duplicate VINs. It's quite likely that the error message isn't really indicative of the problem.

I had many problem with CARWINGS including VIN confusion, and stopped using it for almost 8 months because of this. (I really had no interest going to the service department at the time.)

Anyway, once I went in for voluntary recall NTB-12-014 last month... I also had NTB-11-041 (Telematics fix) applied, and these issues (and the misreporting of kWh energy used) were finally resolved. So, if you are having strange issues... first make sure you have these updates.

If this gets worst and worst I think Nissan should recall every leaf that has this problem? This issue should be subjected directly to the manufacturer coz dealerships are not at fault with this problem. There should be room for better quality electric cars with no bad safety or reliability issues at all.

Back