Carwings Ranking decimated by Wife!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leafer77

I am a Platinum ranking member of the Carwings Zero Emission. My ranking was up in the 200's, even though I have to drive on the freeway to work everyday. Sometimes I drive 55mph instead of 60mph on the freeway to get my ranking higher.

Well my wife decided she was going for a short trip, and asked if she could take the Leaf for a trip. Well the short trip turned into an "errand" run. Anyone who is married knows that this means lots of shopping and needless driving to various locations. My mind was in a panic, "Is she driving in Eco Mode", "Is she running the AC", or worse yet "the Heater". When she returned I knew the damage had been done and my stomach was in knots.

I stood in the garage as she pulled in, full of smiles and compliments about the car ride and performance. I couldn't be mad at her, since I knew that if she drove her ICE SUV that she'd be polluting and wasting precious finite resources. All I could think about was my ranking.

Checked my ranking and sure enough, she's taken me down to "Gold". The HORROR!! How could she do this!?

After some soul-searching, I've come to the conclusion. The car isn't meant for more than one owner. Its my car and she can drive her own damn car next time. At least until Nissan has a multi-user login system.

the only thing I use carwings for is to check my charge status and sending directions from google maps. the ranking is certainly worthless like the guess-o-meter.

Horror. Imagine Carwings in multi-user mode:

Instead of pressing OK once per startup, you will get the following prompts:

First prompt:
We are entering Carwings multi-user mode, please confirm (Y/N)

Second prompt:
Please select your UserID (User1/User2/etc)

Third prompt:
Please confirm you want to send information to Carwings

greenleaf said:
Horror. Imagine Carwings in multi-user mode:

Instead of pressing OK once per startup, you will get the following prompts...
Well said! I admit to have worked on something arguably as useless as a Facebook game in my previous life. One takeaway for me was that we as human beings are hardwired to think competitively and rankings, as useless and arbitrary as they may appear, are a powerful motivator for many. Obviously it's not for everyone, and it may look silly, but I'm mpressed that Nissan implemented this. I just wish they would apply the same mindset and attention to detail to the zillion things that don't work quite right. Like the energy economy numbers in CarWings for example ;-)

mogur said:
The conclusion I've reached is that Carwings is virtually worthless!

So you don't use your smartphone or your comp to pre-HVAC (heating/cooling), get texts on charge status, or check your SOC? THAT's the best part (IMO)! The only worthless part to me is the kW h data. When I obtained 9.1kW h on the console with that 15 mile/one hour loop, CarWings gave me 16.1 so I know how worthless those numbers are.

I bounce between Bronze and Silver. Get sorta shocked when my kid yells from the backseat "dad you grew a tree!".

I should have elaborated that I was referring to the portion of carwings that is other than the one incorporated in the iPhone and Android app... But that functionality would only be worth a couple bucks a month or so to me...

LEAFfan said:
mogur said:

So you don't use your smartphone or your comp to pre-HVAC (heating/cooling), get texts on charge status, or check your SOC? THAT's the best part (IMO)! The only worthless part to me is the kW h data. When I obtained 9.1kW h on the console with that 15 mile/one hour loop, CarWings gave me 16.1 so I know how worthless those numbers are.

Leafer77 said:
I am a Platinum ranking member of the Carwings Zero Emission. My ranking was up in the 200's, even though I have to drive on the freeway to work everyday. Sometimes I drive 55mph instead of 60mph on the freeway to get my ranking higher.

Well my wife decided she was going for a short trip, and asked if she could take the Leaf for a trip. Well the short trip turned into an "errand" run. Anyone who is married knows that this means lots of shopping and needless driving to various locations. My mind was in a panic, "Is she driving in Eco Mode", "Is she running the AC", or worse yet "the Heater". When she returned I knew the damage had been done and my stomach was in knots.

I stood in the garage as she pulled in, full of smiles and compliments about the car ride and performance. I couldn't be mad at her, since I knew that if she drove her ICE SUV that she'd be polluting and wasting precious finite resources. All I could think about was my ranking.

Checked my ranking and sure enough, she's taken me down to "Gold". The HORROR!! How could she do this!?

After some soul-searching, I've come to the conclusion. The car isn't meant for more than one owner. Its my car and she can drive her own damn car next time. At least until Nissan has a multi-user login system.

Well, my wife looks as any car as a means to get from point A to point B. She could care less if the AC/heater was left on and would accelerate / brake the same whether it is a regular ICE, the Prius or an EV. So far no one has driven my car except for me so all the rankings are my own good or bad driving. Have been at Platinum and ranging from th 190-210 ranking so far. With my 80% freeway commute I don't see my mi/kWhr (around 5.2) going much higher. As more Leaf owners come on board, the rankings will get worse but it doesn't matter. Carwings, at the moment has too many errors to make it useful. It is just entertainment value.

LEAFfan said:
mogur said:
So you don't use your smartphone or your comp to pre-HVAC (heating/cooling), get texts on charge status, or check your SOC?
mogur may have qualified his statement, but I wouldn't. No smartphone, never pre-HVAC (I'd rather use 9 cent electricity from the battery than 27 cent from the wall), text messages are expensive on our cell phone plan, and I check my SOC only when I'm in the car.

Ray

I have never used Carwings period..Its not because I m not impressed with it ,I don t use a cell phone so I have never attempted to use it..IM very curios tho in where my KW/Miles usage is compared to others,can I look that up in the Leaf if I turn Carwings on for the first time ?

mark13 said:
I have never used Carwings period..Its not because I m not impressed with it ,I don t use a cell phone so I have never attempted to use it..IM very curios tho in where my KW/Miles usage is compared to others,can I look that up in the Leaf if I turn Carwings on for the first time ?

You can use your comp instead of a smartphone to pre-cool/heat and see your SOC. Another nice thing though, if you have a smartphone, is the pre-cooling/heating you can do when it's not plugged in and away from home. It only takes about 5 minutes to do the pre-c/h and doesn't use much energy from the battery pack. The m/kW h in CarWings is waaaay over inflated. For instance, when I achieved 9.1m/kW h on the dash, CarWings said 16.1. But as far as rankings go, everyone is in the same boat, so you can still get a comparison. It does keep a history (if you 'ok' it) though of all the mileage each month, trips, acc power used, etc.

Back