Cars 2 Go

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marccbr

Anyone in San Diego notice all the Cars2Go vehicles taking up spots at Balboa Park? I hope the company is not planning on just keeping there vehicles in the EV spots until someone decides to use them. That would be total BS. Last night I went and there were 5 of those Smart Car EVs. Its starting to get a little crowded at the park.

When one activates and drives away in one of these cars, where do you leave it when you are done, just anywhere?

Can one get into the car first to check its charge level before "paying" for its use?

Is there a minimum charge, like 5 minutes and one mile?

How is the charging for the use of these cars done?

marccbr said:
Anyone in San Diego notice all the Cars2Go vehicles taking up spots at Balboa Park? I hope the company is not planning on just keeping there vehicles in the EV spots until someone decides to use them. That would be total BS. Last night I went and there were 5 of those Smart Car EVs. Its starting to get a little crowded at the park.
They're left wherever the last renter parks. I don't know if Balboa is the most convenient starting and ending point, or whether Cars2Go moves scattered cars back to Balboa. Tony Williams went there one evening recently and found no Cars2Go cars occupying chargers, so it's hit or miss whether they will keep you from charging. At least the Blink app seems somewhat useful in telling you whether or not chargers are free. Unfortunately it won't tell you whether they'll still be free by the time you arrive, nor whether they are broken, nor whether they are ICEd.

It would be great if they'd install another dozen chargers at Balboa park, in the parking lot over by the Veterans Museum. With plenty of spaces there they'd never get ICEd. The 12 chargers should be installed in at least 48 parking spaces. It would be perfect for Cars2Go whose natural long term storage location is an EV parking space, but which usually don't need any more charging. For a Leaf or Volt to recharge you'd just unplug a fully charged Car2Go. EV owners could even help Cars2Go. When you leave the parking you could unplug your car and plug in a nearby Car2Go that needed it.

Of course all this requires that Balboa never posts signs from the odious AB-475 before it's repealed.

Car2Go has an app and a web page that will show you where every car is, and whether is it charged, or not.

https://www.car2go.com/portal/sandiego/page/mybookings/mapEnlarged.faces" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Code:
Vehicle details:

Number plate	6NE H640
Address	Balboa Park Palisades charging station
Cleanliness
interior/exterior	+ Good / + Good
State of charge	97%

Book Later
Book Now

Here's the 4th Ave ACE garage. $10 to park for 0-4 hours, plus whatever Blink charges:

019da82a.jpg

4ce75749.jpg

This company should have there own charging facilities. Well hopefully they are sending someone to move the vehicle when it is fully charged and not just using the spots to park at. Never thought I would be happy to see AB-475 to keep this company from taking over all the spots. They currently have 4 vehicles sitting at the spots 1 is at 99% the others are above 50%. Lets see if that 100% one gets moved.

Apparently one cannot sign up with Car2Go unless you live in San Diego.

Does anybody from another area have a card?

Assuming you have a valid Car2Go card and want to move one of their cars out of a charging spot ...
apparently you can rent their car, move it quickly (less than one minute) to another parking space, and only get charged 35¢ for the one-minute rental.

What qualifies as a "qualified parking spot" (a place to leave their car at the end of your rental)?

Cheers, Gary

I am now a certified, card carrying, Car2Go member. I already could have used the darn things a few times since I signed up. Looking forward to using the heavy go-cart in downtown.

Used the Car2Go for the first time today. I drove to downtown, and parked at the Balboa Blink chargers (a white LEAF was already there sipping on electrons), and was greeted with several Car2Go's to choose from. I got the blue and white one.

I plugged in my car, makin sure that the charger actually worked (important with the Blink equipment). Then, I jumped in and sped off in the 20kW torque monster (with 10kW regen). I really liked the simple gauges on the dash; a round gauge with zero to 100% SOC, and another round gauge with battery usage for power or regen, from -10kW to +30kW (although it never went above 20kW).

Getting started was simple enough. Swipe the Car2Go card on the lower left outside of the windshield. After about 20 seconds, it unlocks the doors. Hint: don't unplug a charging car and then try to close the fuel door on the car until it is unlocked... it won't work. There should be a sticker on the inside of the car's fuel door to warn about this.

I walked around the car to check for damage. Then, got in and answered a few simple questions on the navigation screen after typing in my secret PIN. It uses a smily face or a frowning face for interior or exterior cleanliness. I took the key out of the dash, and put it in the key slot, located down by the gear shifter. It took a while to find this, and is not intuitive. Another not intuitive thing is the Blink card was in a slot right above the nav screen. Nothing identifies it's in there, as you only see the end of the card.

I plugged in my address of where I wanted to go, and we were off. The radio didn't work on this car, so I drove down to the main office on 9th Avenue to exchange the car and tell them about this problem. Two cars were waiting across the street on two Blink chargers. The car only had about 30% SOC, and you have to plug it in at 20% SOC, according to the rules, so I thought I'd drive it until I found another car along the street to swap out. Note to Car2Go: Make the navigation show you where the offices are, official parking spots, chargers, and where other cars are.

These cars are a whole different world compared to our LEAFs. It still popped away from a stop light quicker than any gas burners, but power going up the hills of downtown was marginal. The car feels really, really cheap. It's hard to believe that this car has anything to do with Germans. It's clunky over bumps. The fun parts are that it's like driving a go-cart in downtown, and you can park it anywhere you can squeeze it in.

The radio was blaring, and the windows were down, and it was fun puttering around. I went over to Harbor Island, and did some business there. I tried to perform a "stopover" so that nobody could snag my car while I was inside, but I'm not sure it worked. You have to lock the doors, and I didn't (learned that after the fact), so I probably got charged for each minute there.

I was getting close to 20% SOC, so I started looking for another car to swap. I pulled out the little map that shows where official Car2Go parking spots are. I didn't really need that, 'cuz the cars were everywhere. Then, I decided to take a chance that it would go below 20%, but that I would plug it in at Balboa Park.

When I got there, I tried to end the rental, but it had a communication error, and said to move the car to another spot. I hit the SOS button, and the phone rang (obviously, the communication error wasn't where I was parked). The lady answered, and I told her the problem. I ended up leaving the car unlocked and taking the keys and Blink car and leaving it with the folks at the Automotive Museum. She manually ended my rental, and subtracted 11 minutes from my time.

Note to Car2Go: Put a drop box at these hub locations for these situations.

Two guys were just taking off in their Car2Go. I asked them how often they've used it, and like me, it was there first time. They didn't quite get the Blink cord figured out, and left it on the ground.

All in all, I was impressed. It has early issues, but a lot of thought has gone into its implementation. I'll probably use the cars regularly when I visit downtown, and let the LEAF charge. I don't know how much it costs yet, though!!

Got my car2go membership card last week. We were thinking of making go of a mini-Eco trip or sorts by taking the Amtrak from OC to SD. We would've used the 24-hr reservations to make sure there's a car at the downtown SD station (Kettner/C St.). But then we remembered that a Smart forTwo only has two seats! They can't accommodate a family of four. We'd have to rent two Smart forTwos. Too bad they don't have Leafs to rent.

I went down Tuesday to Balboa Park, and tried two separate Car2go's. Neither would work, neither was charging, three or four Blinks didn't work (standard for them), and we have six LEAFs there.

I just drove the LEAF to downtown, paid the extorsion for parking, and got no charging. Limped home on impulse power instead of Warp factor 5.

Back