Carpool-Lane Access: Very Important For Electric-Car Adoption (at least in California), It Turns Out

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tkdbrusco said:
It won't be more than 2-3 months until the Green Stickers are gone in CA, so if you wanted that Chevy Volt, better go buy it now! We will see what the loss of green stickers does to sales after that point. I bet that there will also be a lot of pissed off buyers why get rejected toward the tail end of that. Personally, I would buy an EV regardless of the HOV lane sticker. In the bay area there's very little advantage to the HOV lane. All lanes are jammed these days. The HOV might save me 5 minutes.
Much as I'd prefer that they didn't, I expect they'll extend the green HOV stickers one more time, to 100k. At the rate they're going, they may well run out this month. The number jumped over 5k in about 5 weeks, and as of 11/17 the total was 80,876 out of 85k. The actual serial number of stickers being issued is already above 85k, due to replacements.

GRA... The fact is, that it takes many avenues to make something successful. What may be your view, or mine or the next persons, may be what is moot. The powers (that be) determine how things will be.

I think incentives are necessary and deserved, because it does make a difference. Can other things make an impact? You bet! But take one bite at a time. This is a positive for adoption and the environment. Other, better things that you claim, are only talk and vapor at this point. At least we are starting somewhere very positive and it works for us. Something may (range/price?)not be working for you to personally and fully embrace at this time, but may work for many of us, and we are glad for the incentives.

The baby has to begin with some element of risk and gratification. It will sometimes be a little dirty and need to be nurtured and cleaned up a bit. Continue (hopefully) without dying while outgrowing things along the way. And hopefully be better than just (self supporting) but be a great contribution to society.

Those results take a lot of time. Kind of like raising a child. But if you don't personally have a child, You (can) give advice to someone with children but without having any real (hands on) experience or personal investment. Will many (truly) value your opinion? I'm not saying that your opinion or advice is wrong but... Just where is your stake in taking care of this Baby? I didn't abort my adoption. I embrace it. Where is your baby? (electric car).

Warning, editorial side note ahead, you may need to retreat to your safe space:
GRA said:
Much as I'd prefer that they didn't, I expect they'll extend the green HOV stickers one more time, to 100k. At the rate they're going, they may well run out this month. The number jumped over 5k in about 5 weeks, and as of 11/17 the total was 80,876 out of 85k
tkdbrusco said:
In the bay area there's very little advantage to the HOV lane. All lanes are jammed these days. The HOV might save me 5 minutes.
Well maybe if they had left HOV lanes for, you know... actual HOV travel, there would have been fewer cars on the road by now and everyone would be better off. :p
Evoforce said:
This is a positive for adoption and the environment.
Funny, I've not seen a study suggesting that using the HOV lanes as incentives for electric / hybrid vehicles has actually reduced emissions and CO2s as compared to say having fewer total vehicles on the road each polluting less because they spent less time with engines running while stopped and operating more efficiently as they tend to do when moving at actual highway speeds.

I'm sure I just missed this important environmental impact study. Someone here can point me right to it :roll:

jpadc said:
Warning, editorial side note ahead, you may need to retreat to your safe space:
GRA said:
Much as I'd prefer that they didn't, I expect they'll extend the green HOV stickers one more time, to 100k. At the rate they're going, they may well run out this month. The number jumped over 5k in about 5 weeks, and as of 11/17 the total was 80,876 out of 85k
tkdbrusco said:
In the bay area there's very little advantage to the HOV lane. All lanes are jammed these days. The HOV might save me 5 minutes.
Well maybe if they had left HOV lanes for, you know... actual HOV travel, there would have been fewer cars on the road by now and everyone would be better off. :p
Evoforce said:
This is a positive for adoption and the environment.
Funny, I've not seen a study suggesting that using the HOV lanes as incentives for electric / hybrid vehicles has actually reduced emissions and CO2s as compared to say having fewer total vehicles on the road each polluting less because they spent less time with engines running while stopped and operating more efficiently as they tend to do when moving at actual highway speeds.

I'm sure I just missed this important environmental impact study. Someone here can point me right to it :roll:

Golly! I was speaking for strictly electric cars. But I would like to see your study that pure electrics don't reduce emissions! :roll: :lol:

GRA said:
tkdbrusco said:
It won't be more than 2-3 months until the Green Stickers are gone in CA, so if you wanted that Chevy Volt, better go buy it now! We will see what the loss of green stickers does to sales after that point. I bet that there will also be a lot of pissed off buyers why get rejected toward the tail end of that. Personally, I would buy an EV regardless of the HOV lane sticker. In the bay area there's very little advantage to the HOV lane. All lanes are jammed these days. The HOV might save me 5 minutes.
Much as I'd prefer that they didn't, I expect they'll extend the green HOV stickers one more time, to 100k. At the rate they're going, they may well run out this month. The number jumped over 5k in about 5 weeks, and as of 11/17 the total was 80,876 out of 85k. The actual serial number of stickers being issued is already above 85k, due to replacements.

I don't care or not if they expect the HOV stickers to 100K, but I'd really like to see the $2500 state rebate stay around until I can get my hands on a Tesla Model 3. Hopefully it doesn't run out of money by then, or the state dumps more into it. I'd love to get the full $10K off that car.

jpadc said:

Excellent point.

Sure the electric vehicle has zero local emissions.
But having three or four people in a real HOV may take three local polluting vehicles off the road.
Having a much more beneficial local environmental impact :D

Evoforce said:
... Golly! I was speaking for strictly electric cars. But I would like to see your study that pure electrics don't reduce emissions! :roll: :lol:
What matters is the overall net effect.

Having the HOV lane choked with electric vehicles can have more pollution than if it was functional with real HOV vehicles carrying three or four people.

Evoforce said:
GRA... The fact is, that it takes many avenues to make something successful. What may be your view, or mine or the next persons, may be what is moot. The powers (that be) determine how things will be.
Of course, and I long ago realized that no one had appointed me dictator, so what I thought would be the best way to go had to compete with everyone else's opinions.

Evoforce said:
I think incentives are necessary and deserved, because it does make a difference. Can other things make an impact? You bet! But take one bite at a time. This is a positive for adoption and the environment. Other, better things that you claim, are only talk and vapor at this point. At least we are starting somewhere very positive and it works for us. Something may (range/price?)not be working for you to personally and fully embrace at this time, but may work for many of us, and we are glad for the incentives.

The baby has to begin with some element of risk and gratification. It will sometimes be a little dirty and need to be nurtured and cleaned up a bit. Continue (hopefully) without dying while outgrowing things along the way. And hopefully be better than just (self supporting) but be a great contribution to society.

Those results take a lot of time. Kind of like raising a child. But if you don't personally have a child, You (can) give advice to someone with children but without having any real (hands on) experience or personal investment. Will many (truly) value your opinion? I'm not saying that your opinion or advice is wrong but... Just where is your stake in taking care of this Baby? I didn't abort my adoption. I embrace it. Where is your baby? (electric car).
Since you're fairly new here, you've missed the numerous times in the past where I've explained why I don't have an EV, although my sig should give you a clue. To restate it, for the short local and regional trips which are all that current affordable BEVs are practically capable of, I use active transportation (walking/biking) or transit (which always includes some walking or biking) almost exclusively.

This is not only better environmentally than using a personal BEV, it's also better for my and other people's health, as well as easier on my wallet, as I have nowhere to charge except at public chargers which are currently far more expensive than buying gas. For the most part, I only use a car for long out-of town trips, often to the mountains, and often in cold weather (I hike/backpack/X-C ski and still occasionally do some light mountaineering). I didn't take any inter-regional trips that required me to drive my car, so my total driving mileage over the past month was 8.4 miles, due to inertia/laziness; we had our first winter rainstorm and I hadn't yet re-installed the fenders on my bike, so commuted one day by car. Affordable BEVs lack both the range and charging infrastructure to do the inter-regional trips that are the only thing I need a car for. PHEVs, although they have the range, are less efficient in CS mode than a high mpg HEV or diesel, and I'd still have the charging issue.

So, while I support the development of PEVs (and FCEVs, and bio-fuels), I also recognize that their current capabilities and infrastructure are ill-suited to my requirements, and I'm not going to become an early adopter just to make a multi-thousand dollar symbolic gesture; I did that a quarter of a century ago when I bought my first AE equipment and used it for roles that could be done much more cheaply, conveniently and efficiently in other ways, and often with less environmental impact. Having gotten that out of my system, I then got into selling the equipment commercially and designing off-grid AE systems, but always made sure to educate my customers so that they understood their reasons for doing so, i.e. the real benefits and disadvantages of a particular course. If they wanted to do something for ideological reasons that made no economic or practical sense, that was fine, but I wanted them to understand that was the choice they were making.

I apply the same attitude here; I want to get the greatest bang for the buck, because that's what motivates most mainstream consumers, as opposed to the early adopter crowd who are more willing to do things for ideology. Unless AFVs can appeal to the mainstream, they are doomed to niche status, and I prefer that a tech start off slower with minimal subsidies but being used where it makes sense, to large subsidies that push tech onto the market in large numbers prematurely in roles for which it is often ill-suited, leading to customer disappointment, an inevitable political backlash and usually a crash when the subsidies are removed. I saw this happen with solar water heating in the '80s, and don't wish to see it repeated with BEVs (It already has been to some extent, i.e. the LEAF's battery problems and range claims). I've also always been against ideological purity; I'll happily accept 80% now instead of holding out for 100% later, which is why I believe that PHEVs with only enough battery to cover their routine daily driving needs are the best option for the mainstream customer at this time. As someone here once said, PHEVs are the gateway drug to BEVs, and as the capabilities of BEVs (and/or FCEVs) increase and the price comes down, people who are already used to driving electrically will shift over to all-electric. Or sustainable biofuels will take off, or all of the above. But what I really don't want to see is expensive subsidies going to people who mostly don't need them.

TimLee said:
Evoforce said:
... Golly! I was speaking for strictly electric cars. But I would like to see your study that pure electrics don't reduce emissions! :roll: :lol:
What matters is the overall net effect.

Having the HOV lane choked with electric vehicles can have more pollution than if it was functional with real HOV vehicles carrying three or four people.
About a year ago I started a thread with the following post:

I've been ambivalent at best about handing out SO HOV lane stickers for just the reasons cited in this study (via GCC):

Study finds solo hybrid drivers in California HOV lanes amplify congestion, create up to $4,500 per car in adverse social costs annually

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2014/09 ... 0-hov.html
Among the findings cited in the GCC article:
The authors, from Cornell University, University of Colorado, UC Irvine and UC Berkeley, calculated that the Clean Air Vehicle Stickers (CAVS) policy results in a best-case cost of $124 per ton of reductions in greenhouse gases; $606,000 per ton of nitrogen oxides reduction; and $505,000 per ton of hydrocarbon reduction—exceeding those of other options readily available to policymakers.
The link to the thread is here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18126&hilit=hov+lanes+congestion

From a later post in that thread:
GRA said:
Moof said:
HOV lanes have a self-conflicting logic.

1) Take away a lane from a congested highway.
2) Let 2+ occupancy vehicles use the lane. These cars will ONLY want to use this lane if traffic is congested.
3) Profit, all the double occupancy vehicles will cause a reduction in congestion. If HOV lanes succeed in reducing congestion they will eliminate their own incentive.

Raise gas taxes to European levels and people will be motivated to lose the hummers, carpool, and to live closer to their jobs. Use the tax money to build enough lanes for the actual traffic levels, not the traffic levels that you wish existed based on some fairy tale.
You accurately point out that HOV lanes, when successful, encourage people to drive more (by reducing congestion). It's counter-intuitive, but congestion reduces pollution. Not because cars idling in stop-and-go traffic are efficient, they're not. It's because when driving is a pain, people are more likely to forgo a trip or combine it with another one, reducing VMT.

The answer to the HOV 'problem' is to continue to reduce the number of lanes that are non-HOV, to keep congestion at a near-constant level. Naturally, the public doesn't like this, even though most people by now have figured out that you can't build your way out of congestion; we tried that for 80+ years, and failed. As one study that looked at hundreds of projects showed, on average a 10% increase in lane miles causes an immediate 4% increase in VMT, with the entire new capacity eaten up within a few years. In many cases, by the time a new freeway project has opened, sprawl development based on the _prospect_ of that freeway means that it's already as congested as it was before it was built.

Anyway, when reducing freeway lanes you can either remove non-HOV lanes entirely, or convert the excess lanes for bus or rail transit; many freeway right of ways were originally rail right of ways, so putting high speed commuter rail in the medians makes sense (much as has been/is happening in the Bay Area with BART extensions over the past 30 years). And of course, the ultimate goal is to reduce VMT by eliminating the need (as well as the desire) to drive so much, through densification, walkable/bikeable mixed-use zoning and public transit.

GRA... I wasn't the earliest of adopters either. But when the resale market of these cars neared $10,000 dollars, it made a tipping point for me to embrace it. That is the beauty of being able to buy cars that are second hand. A car that is a few years old yet is practically brand new was a no brainer for me and what suited my family situation. I no longer needed to set on the fence.

I had fully planned on building 2 electric cars using a 944 and a Metro as my donor cars. It would have cost me more in materials to build them than buying these Leafs. Not to mention, they are already engineered for all of the various components to work well together. I still plan to build those projects out using electric salvage. This is kind of another facet of how early adopters help to get even more gas powered cars off the road. I would now hate to rebuild both of those vehicles leaving them gas powered so a couple of wrecked electric cars aught to do it.

My lady and I truly enjoy our Leafs! Do we want that 200-300 or more mile electric car? Yes sir! But in all honesty, we really don't need that mileage but a very small fraction of time. What I want is an all electric truck with that range for hauling my boat to the lake and other hauling needs.

We all have different needs. And those can change over time too. For now, they still don't meet a very small part of my needs so again it hit the tipping point for me with the used car prices as low as they are and I can primarily utilize them. The low registration and HOV access here in Phoenix make it a win, win!

You personally may never decide that you have a need for them or then maybe there will be that tipping point for you too. I (please no offence intended) find it odd that you have 4400 posts in a electric car owners forum but haven't pulled the trigger on one. Maybe it's that you are just keeping abreast of things and hoping for just the right porridge to suit you.

I get that you wish that people would not rely on auto's as much. Me too! But that is one desire that is not going to change in the American public's brain anytime in the foreseeable future. I ride electric bicycles and drivers do not want to share the road and feel they have all the rights to it and I have none.

Anyway... Arizona quit issuing HOV passes for hybrids but pure electric still get passes. Personally, I don't think hybrids should get them but that shows by bias. I don't have one so I don't have a horse in that race... But aren't they deserving of a little special treatment too? They still are less polluting (overall) than a pure gasser. Just not on the freeway.

In the end, I just hope you find your tipping point soon with all the time you have invested in this forum. I would like to see you enjoy your new pure electric car as much as we enjoy ours! Maybe 2017 Bolt? Or maybe a year or two after it resells at a better price.

Evoforce said:
GRA... I wasn't the earliest of adopters either. But when the resale market of these cars neared $10,000 dollars, it made a tipping point for me to embrace it. That is the beauty of being able to buy cars that are second hand. A car that is a few years old yet is practically brand new was a no brainer for me and what suited my family situation. I no longer needed to set on the fence.

I had fully planned on building 2 electric cars using a 944 and a Metro as my donor cars. It would have cost me more in materials to build them than buying these Leafs. Not to mention, they are already engineered for all of the various components to work well together. I still plan to build those projects out using electric salvage. This is kind of another facet of how early adopters help to get even more gas powered cars off the road. I would now hate to rebuild both of those vehicles leaving them gas powered so a couple of wrecked electric cars aught to do it.
I think the plans you mention above to convert some cars to BEVs are enough to show that you are clearly way outside the mainstream! More power to you (the first BEV I ever saw was a Karmann Ghia that one of my AE customers had converted, about 25 years ago. Naturally, in addition to being into AE, he was also a member of EVAA). He commuted in it daily.

Evoforce said:
My lady and I truly enjoy our Leafs! Do we want that 200-300 or more mile electric car? Yes sir! But in all honesty, we really don't need that mileage but a very small fraction of time. What I want is an all electric truck with that range for hauling my boat to the lake and other hauling needs.

We all have different needs. And those can change over time too. For now, they still don't meet a very small part of my needs so again it hit the tipping point for me with the used car prices as low as they are and I can primarily utilize them. The low registration and HOV access here in Phoenix make it a win, win!
I'm glad that a used LEAF meets your needs now, but given their batteries rapid degradation in your climate, you really require a very limited daily range for them to be viable, which just doesn't work for most people. After all, you've got to get to four bars down before you can qualify for a warranty replacement, so you have to drive with restricted range for a high proportion of your time with the car.

Evoforce said:
You personally may never decide that you have a need for them or then maybe there will be that tipping point for you too. I (please no offence intended) find it odd that you have 4400 posts in a electric car owners forum but haven't pulled the trigger on one.
None taken - someone else (cwerdna IIRR) made exactly the same observation about 2,000 posts back. :lol:

Evoforce said:
Maybe it's that you are just keeping abreast of things and hoping for just the right porridge to suit you.
Right, plus offering whatever insights/opinions I have from having been through the process of nurturing another new tech through infancy a quarter century ago - so many of the mistakes that have been made by both the companies and the customers in the past 4-5 years have induced a major case of deja vu, and I've tried to provide insight to help people avoid making the same ones.

Note, the next couple of paragraphs are a long digression:

Of course, many of the most rabid fanbois didn't want to hear anything less than overwhelmingly optimistic opinions back in 2011-2012, no matter how grounded in experience they were - you could go back to posts from then and read how those of us who had lots of experience with the quirks of deep-cycle batteries and/or factors affecting car range were accused of being trolls or anti-EV when we pointed out that because all batteries degrade due to cycling, calendar life, heat and deep discharging, plus lose capacity in cold weather while resistive heating takes a lot of energy, and thicker air, harder rubber and wet-snowy roads all add to resistance, while hills, winds and a reserve all need to be allowed for, that people should not buy/lease BEVs expecting to get the EPA range for the long term or in winter, and should instead plan on only 40-50% of that range year round over a 3 year period. It wasn't until the first customers (in Phoenix, natch) started to report early rapid degradation due to heat that people started to look at the cars more objectively, and even then the customer who first reported early degradation was initially accused of being a liar, an ICE company shill, etc. When people invest not just a lot of money but also their egos/emotions in a purchase, objectivity often flies out the window.

The cure for this is usually time; once the initial infatuation wears off people are willing to be more objective. IME, with cars this is usually 6-18 months after purchase, although the quickest (and most expensive) disillusionment I recall here was a guy in the Chicago area who bought a LEAF in IIRR November 2011, based on the fanbois assurances as well as his own desire to believe that it would work for him. He then found that the first time he went out with his wife and [2] young children in the car the following month, instead of the 70+ miles he'd been assured he'd have 'no problem', IIRC he was barely able to go 35? or so [Correction, 52], and making it home (in the snow) required that he do without heat or defrost. He dumped the LEAF (IIRR total time from purchase was about 6 weeks) and bought a Volt, which is the car he should have bought from the get-go.

End of digression.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the moment, neither BEVs or FCEVs meet my requirements for capability, cost and infrastructure, although FCEVs are currently closer on capability and cost (and the manufacturers would pick up the fuel tab for 3 years), and the infrastructure is beginning to be built, but they all remain too expensive for now. And sustainable biofuels, cellulosic and especially algae-based, are starting to pick up speed again after a couple of years of disappointing progress, so maybe they'll be the way I ultimately go. Quite frankly, I'm perfectly willing to keep my now 13-year old Forester until 2020 or longer, if it means that I can change directly into a ZEV or net-zero carbon biofuel vehicle, that would also offer fairly autonomous freeway driving at a reasonable price. By then, though, I have hopes that the remaining need for me and perhaps a substantial minority of U.S. urban dwellers to _own_ a car may have disappeared, and we'll all have access to car-sharing, ride-sharing or what have you, maybe autonomous at that. While I'm hopefully still two or three decades away from losing my license, we have an aging population, and the loss of the access that results when the elderly lose their driving privileges is going to be a huge problem for our society absent autonomous cars (ride-sharing does help).

Evoforce said:
I get that you wish that people would not rely on auto's as much. Me too! But that is one desire that is not going to change in the American public's brain anytime in the foreseeable future. I ride electric bicycles and drivers do not want to share the road and feel they have all the rights to it and I have none.
Actually, the U.S. demographic and societal trends towards reduced car use are quite favorable, and it's already coming to pass in many of the U.S. cities where the creative class millennials as well as empty nest boomers are choosing to live. Still a long way to go compared to the average European city let alone someplace like Amsterdam or Copenhagen, but we are making progress. It's mostly still in progressive college towns (Davis, Berkeley, Boulder, Madison etc.) as well as those cities that saw substantial growth pre-automobile and had much higher density as a result, i.e. places like NYC, S.F., Chicago, Boston etc.

Of course, you also have monuments to car-dependent sprawl and cheap energy/air conditioning like Atlanta, Jacksonville and Phoenix, where it's almost physically impossible to get anywhere without a car. Living in the Bay Area I was able to choose where to live so that I could minimize my auto-dependence; that still isn't an option in many U.S. central cities and suburbs. BTW, I don't know if you're familiar with it, but if you want to see how good or bad your options are from your home, go to this site and enter your address to see what your Walkscore is, i.e. how many places there are that you can reasonably walk, bike or take transit to: https://www.walkscore.com/

The score ranges (for walking) are as follows:

• 90–100 Walker’s Paradise
    Daily errands do not require a car

70–89 Very Walkable
    Most errands can be accomplished on foot

50–69 Somewhat Walkable
    Some errands can be accomplished on foot

25–49 Car-Dependent
    Most errands require a car

0–24 Car-Dependent
    Almost all errands require a car

In Phoenix, you're probably down well below 50, i.e. Car-Dependent (although I chose to move to my current address long before Walkscore existed, my walkscore is 88 because routine errands within walking range and a bike commute, plus nearby access to rapid transit were my requirements; I have a friend in an exurb, 46 miles from me, whose walkscore is 29. On a related note, while he's always been big and heavy, he now weighs well over 300 lb.).

Evoforce said:
Anyway... Arizona quit issuing HOV passes for hybrids but pure electric still get passes. Personally, I don't think hybrids should get them but that shows by bias. I don't have one so I don't have a horse in that race... But aren't they deserving of a little special treatment too? They still are less polluting (overall) than a pure gasser. Just not on the freeway.
What I'd like to see is an adjustment to the HOV lane regs that reads something like this, so that bad habits aren't incentivized and good ones are:

"1. On any section of freeway with four or more lanes in one direction including one or more existing High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane(s), one or more lanes immediately to the right of the rightmost HOV lane will be re-designated as a High Efficiency Vehicle (HEV) lane, with distinctive markings [Circle, Square, Triangle or whatever's agreed on; HOV lanes retain the diamond] and appropriate signage to indicate their presence, as with HOV lanes. The hours in which the HEV restrictions shall be enforced will be the same as applies to the adjoining HOV lane(s), unless otherwise stated.

2. Single Occupant Vehicles will no longer be admitted to HOV lanes during their hours of enforcement, regardless of their possession of White or Green stickers. Only vehicles with the number of persons on board as required by the particular HOV lane will be able to use the HOV lane.

3. To qualify to use an HEV lane, a vehicle must achieve at least 40 MPGe EPA [this could be Combined or HWY rating; since the lanes are intended to allow free-flowing traffic, I lean towards using the HWY rating), and bear appropriate White, Green or Yellow stickers to indicate that they can use the lane [this grandfathers in all the regular Priuses that are running around with yellow stickers from when they were allowed to use the HOV lanes].

4. If tolls are imposed, HOV lanes shall have the lowest toll or be free, HEV lanes a medium toll, and normal lanes the highest toll.

Even if people still insist on commuting solo, this would encourage them to buy fuel efficient cars for commuting, regardless of the tech they choose (including high MPG ICEs), while not giving them the same level of perks that car-pooling does.

Evoforce said:
In the end, I just hope you find your tipping point soon with all the time you have invested in this forum. I would like to see you enjoy your new pure electric car as much as we enjoy ours! Maybe 2017 Bolt? Or maybe a year or two after it resells at a better price.
See my comments above. I'm willing to wait (a Bolt won't do; I need a small AWD CUV like one built on the Tesla Model 3 platform, or else something like a less expensive Hyundai Tucson FCEV). I have many other environmental interests and know there are many ways to achieve a particular end, and I've been in for the long haul since my teens, so I'm in no rush.

Excellent post GRA.
Appreciate your perspective.

Even though I wanted (to a degree needed) a new car in 2011 and took a chance on purchasing a 2011 LEAF with the hope and prayer it might be a lower total cost of ownership than a second ICE;
I early on recognized the LEAF shortcomings and defects.

I'm still happy with the choice.
But the slings and arrows from those that do not want to accept the LEAF is a 40 to 60 mile vehicle and 30 to 35 in the winter, and that do not want to accept that the LEAF design is defective; are sometimes annoying.

GRA said:
Evoforce said:
What I'd like to see is an adjustment to the HOV lane regs that reads something like this, so that bad habits aren't incentivized and good ones are:

<snip details>

Even if people still insist on commuting solo, this would encourage them to buy fuel efficient cars for commuting, regardless of the tech they choose (including high MPG ICEs), while not giving them the same level of perks that car-pooling does.
Re-reading the above section, especially the bolded intro, it appears that I'm advocating for HEV lanes, and that wasn't my intent - I was responding to your comment about special treatment for HEVs, and pointing out a change which would give them that treatment. As several of us have pointed out, HOV lanes don't reduce congestion, they just increase carrying capacity. In addition, EVs have their greatest efficiency and environmental advantages compared to ICEs not in steady-speed cruising at freeway speeds, but in slow-speed stop and go, so you'd want single-occupant EVs to be over in the backed-up lanes to maximize their contribution to reducing pollution etc. The advantage to their owners needs to come from the fuel savings (and maybe a break on licensing), because they take up exactly the same amount of roadway and parking space as any other vehicle of the same size regardless of how it's powered.

If HEV lanes were to be instituted, I also omitted perhaps the most important point from my list, which would read as follows:

5. During the times when HOV/HEV lanes are in effect, HOVs may travel in any lane, HEVs are limited to HEV and normal lanes, and all other vehicles (excepting emergency vehicles) are limited to the normal lanes.

TimLee said:
Excellent post GRA.
Appreciate your perspective.

Even though I wanted (to a degree needed) a new car in 2011 and took a chance on purchasing a 2011 LEAF with the hope and prayer it might be a lower total cost of ownership than a second ICE;
I early on recognized the LEAF shortcomings and defects.

I'm still happy with the choice.
But the slings and arrows from those that do not want to accept the LEAF is a 40 to 60 mile vehicle and 30 to 35 in the winter, and that do not want to accept that the LEAF design is defective; are sometimes annoying.
You do what you can, and most people do eventually accept reality, i.e. "YMMV and will probably be less," at least when used by the typical person. Of course, any new tech or social movement needs its zealots, to bring the new thing about in the first place despite all the nay-saying, and then to continue to develop it despite the almost inevitably disappointing early efforts and all the incentives to abandon it and just stick with the status quo. But there almost always comes a point where the zealots' inability to be objective, and insistence on purity retards the ability of the tech or movement to cross over to the mainstream.

CARB announced on the 18th that they've issued all 85k Green stickers. They've started a waiting list, in case the legislature increases the allocation again (for the 4th time). See http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

Will Volt 2/Energi sales fall off a cliff, and Sonata PHEV/A3 e-tron sales never get traction?

Back