CAR COVER Under $60 Recommendations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcjetpilot

I am going to be using garage for project and 2015 LEAF is going to be parked outside on driveway for awhile. Want to get a cover. I looked at eBay, Amazon. I LIKE to keep it sub $60.

Suggestions?

Thanks for all the suggestions, cough. I found a nice cover $34, w/ tax + free shipping Amazon about $37. Looks wrinkled, it is. There is no cut out for aft roof antenna. Hard to locate the snap in bushing. I tried but made a mess and it was not located. With antenna on angle ot would make hard install/remove cover. So I made a large cutout, reinforced with dacron nylon tent repair material and 3M adhesive. Works well. IF I HAD TO DO OVER, I would have just let antenna make tent poll abd reinforced the area for wear and exrea stress. Or do nothing and see if antenna punches a hole in cover. It can be repaired. It is one layer.

FIT IS SPOT ON for generic cover**. the mirror pockets are oversized but great for locating cover. It comes with two integral straps one back, one forward. Middle are two loops for included cable and lock 🔐. Oy has zipper to flap to get in driver door. I don't think the fit could be better.

** Keep in mind it is generic fir small hatch backs under 180". A lot of coverd tgatvsa LEAF are generic and charge more for no better fit. It comes with carry stuff sack, thus wrinkles. For the money it is great. if yiy exoect perfect for $34 forget it.

LEAF is banished to driveway while I build my RV-7 kit airplane in garage. I don't expect the cover to last for decades. I only need it to last a year or two. It's light, easy to put-on and take off. Summer I wanted something to keep direct sun off it. Spring pollen, fall leaves. The outer surface is highly reflective. I'll do some experiments with it on and off, than measure the interior temperature during peak summer sun. Recommend it. However not under $60 but under $40! If you want premium custom deluxe, plan on 4 yo 6 times cost. It will be heavy and more effort to use. This light cover is what I need and wanted.

Attachments

• 20240330_132425.jpg
    20240330_132425.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240330_132147.jpg
    20240330_132147.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240330_132212.jpg
    20240330_132212.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240330_132522.jpg
    20240330_132522.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Just one poor sucker's opinion here, but car covers (especially when used outside) often do more harm than good.

Pro: Sun protection

Cons: If you have any wind, they rub on the paint. If there is any dirt/dust/pollen/etc on the surface of your car, that rubbing is even more abrasive. They also trap moisture against the surface of your car, including moisture/vapor rising from the ground as part of the natural evaporative process.

I like to keep our cars under cover (i.e., in a garage) as much as anyone, but cars are designed to be in the outdoors. Millions and millions of them never see the inside of a garage and last for decades, especially if washed and waxed semi-regularly.

Can you unscrew the antenna on your 2015 Leaf? I have removed the antenna on my 2012 Leaf before putting the cover on.
NOW YOU TELL ME.... Ha ha. Thanks.

Just one poor sucker's opinion here, but car covers (especially when used outside) often do more harm than good.

Pro: Sun protection

Cons: If you have any wind, they rub on the paint. If there is any dirt/dust/pollen/etc on the surface of your car, that rubbing is even more abrasive. They also trap moisture against the surface of your car, including moisture/vapor rising from the ground as part of the natural evaporative process.

I like to keep our cars under cover (i.e., in a garage) as much as anyone, but cars are designed to be in the outdoors. Millions and millions of them never see the inside of a garage and last for decades, especially if washed and waxed semi-regularly.
I understand your opinion. You may have a point. However Jun, July Aug, Sept it is hotter than the hinges of hades. I have some advantage with shade from house in morning, shade in afternoon from tree, but in summer that is less as sun is high in sky. After noon it will cook, but this is why I got the shiny cover.

With this reflective cover, windows cracked open a bit, IMHO I will lower the decay of my cars finish but also interior.

As far as finish damage you could be right. What I NEED to do is wash car still and most of all WAX the heck out of it. I have washed it but not waxed it...... The car +8yrs. It still looks great (2015 SV Silver). I am not really too worried. I can say when the wind was high and gusty the cover moves a little. I can see that causing damage. So if it is windy I will remove it. Typically wind is from frontal systems and overcast. As far as rain not worried about car getting wet. Most of it is summer sun for a 3-4 months. It gets HOT.

The car has been in garage most of the time I had it (3yr old when I got it from southern Ca and in great condition). However this is not the first time I exiled the LEAF outside. When I moved to this house I got the car within a year (end of 2017). It took me a year and a half to clear the garage out to get two cars in garage. In that time, tree pollen, leaves was an issue. I have since cut that tree back, professionally trimmed and I maintain it now, so branches are not overhanging driveway. It helps. But the LEAF was cleaned inside and out, and it was not much worse for the wear for that time. However I think the cover will be a plus overall, for summer time and lowing UV and heat damage. That is my story and sticking to it. Ha ha.

Last edited:
Back