Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm down to 200 GIDs of capacity. That's the most my Leaf wants to charge to. Still not down to 8 bars yet though. I also just hit 50,000 miles yesterday.

At the risk of adding more to this 759 page thread, a friend with a used 2011 just became the first local Leaf to qualify for the battery warranty replacement at 8-bars. Here are the specs:
May 2011 manufacture date, on 4/29/16 I measured 43.11 AHr, 44.61% Hx, 40.82% SOC, 65% SOH, 23,514 miles, 8 bars, VIN was -4799 (I think, I forgot to write it down). He bought it used last Fall in Kennewick, WA and it had 9 bars at the time. I think he paid about $11k. Took it to the dealer last week, who called this AM and confirmed it's under warranty and will be replaced in about 3-4 weeks (this dealer's first replacement).

Reddy said:
At the risk of adding more to this 759 page thread, a friend with a used 2011 just became the first local Leaf to qualify for the battery warranty replacement at 8-bars. Here are the specs:
May 2011 manufacture date, on 4/29/16 I measured 43.11 AHr, 44.61% Hx, 40.82% SOC, 65% SOH, 23,514 miles, 8 bars, VIN was -4799 (I think, I forgot to write it down). He bought it used last Fall in Kennewick, WA and it had 9 bars at the time. I think he paid about $11k. Took it to the dealer last week, who called this AM and confirmed it's under warranty and will be replaced in about 3-4 weeks (this dealer's first replacement).

Wow. Good for him and it's nice to see Nissan doing something positive for their reputation!

I have not read all the post here but I must say that when I lost my second bar today, I'm not sure if it's good or bad news. I bought my '12 Leaf 4/2/16 with 41,712 miles and 11 bars showing. I have no idea when the first bar dropped but I was hoping it would be awhile before losing the second one. I just hit 42,720 miles today and noticed the second bar had dropped. With 2 bars left to drop in the next 17,279 miles to qualify for a free replacement battery, does anyone here think I should hope for that or should I just plan on trading the car if the range no longer works for me? Have not even made the first payment yet. Love everything about the car but this capacity thing has me worried. CarFax shows one previous owner from 9/18/12 thru 11/24/15 so It appears it started service on that date so the 60 months will be up 9/18/17? Any thoughts?

Evoforce said:
Marktm said:
Evoforce said:
I don't think you have much to sweat about at 9 bars and 19 months in Texas. Unless Nissan changes it's business practice...

Definitely the main worry. As Nissan stockpiles more "bad" batteries, the cheap way out is to contract a rebuild company and begin replacing with sub-par "refurbished".

That's a main reason that I didn't wait until this summer to have mine replaced. Of course, the short range was another... And yes, new or refurbished they only have to outlast 12 months/12,000 miles. Think about the poor car owners of 2013 or newer who don't have the new replacement warranty that the (Legal Class Owners) of 11-12's have.
How do I find out the details about that "Legal Class Owners" since I just bought my '12 and lost the 2nd bar before even making the first payment?

JeffnReno said:
I bought my '12 Leaf 4/2/16 with 41,712 miles and 11 bars showing. I have no idea when the first bar dropped but I was hoping it would be awhile before losing the second one.

You really should have tested the Leaf with LeafSpy before purchase, then the 2nd bar drop wouldn't have been a surprise. Where was the original owner located? Being that you are in Nevada, I guess there's always a chance you could lose 2 more bars in 1.3 years. Drive it fast and hard, and charge it to 100% as often as possible, and leave it fully charged in the hot sun. Nissan won't do anything for you unless you lose 4 bars by 5 years/60,000 miles.

JeffnReno said:
Evoforce said:
Marktm said:
Definitely the main worry. As Nissan stockpiles more "bad" batteries, the cheap way out is to contract a rebuild company and begin replacing with sub-par "refurbished".

That's a main reason that I didn't wait until this summer to have mine replaced. Of course, the short range was another... And yes, new or refurbished they only have to outlast 12 months/12,000 miles. Think about the poor car owners of 2013 or newer who don't have the new replacement warranty that the (Legal Class Owners) of 11-12's have.
How do I find out the details about that "Legal Class Owners" since I just bought my '12 and lost the 2nd bar before even making the first payment?
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18905

Yep on keydiver's advice. Also, keep that battery hot. If possible, drain the battery by driving fast, DC FC it, and do this multiple times a day (even better if it's in the hot sun, to get it even hotter), to keep that battery hot. If there's some doubts about making it in before capacity warranty is up, you want to beat the hell out of the battery.

JeffnReno said:
I have not read all the post here but I must say that when I lost my second bar today, I'm not sure if it's good or bad news. I bought my '12 Leaf 4/2/16 with 41,712 miles and 11 bars showing. I have no idea when the first bar dropped but I was hoping it would be awhile before losing the second one. I just hit 42,720 miles today and noticed the second bar had dropped. With 2 bars left to drop in the next 17,279 miles to qualify for a free replacement battery, does anyone here think I should hope for that or should I just plan on trading the car if the range no longer works for me? Have not even made the first payment yet. Love everything about the car but this capacity thing has me worried. CarFax shows one previous owner from 9/18/12 thru 11/24/15 so It appears it started service on that date so the 60 months will be up 9/18/17? Any thoughts?
I would run it hard for the 17,000 miles and/or the next 15 months. When I mean hard that is keeping the battery temperature up in hopes of getting a new battery. Need to do multiple L3 charges if possible in the heat of the day. Keep it hot at 100% charged as much as possible. You basically have two Summers to get down two more bars as long as you do not drive too many miles.

keydiver said:
JeffnReno said:
I bought my '12 Leaf 4/2/16 with 41,712 miles and 11 bars showing. I have no idea when the first bar dropped but I was hoping it would be awhile before losing the second one.

You really should have tested the Leaf with LeafSpy before purchase, then the 2nd bar drop wouldn't have been a surprise. Where was the original owner located? Being that you are in Nevada, I guess there's always a chance you could lose 2 more bars in 1.3 years. Drive it fast and hard, and charge it to 100% as often as possible, and leave it fully charged in the hot sun. Nissan won't do anything for you unless you lose 4 bars by 5 years/60,000 miles.
Hindsight ......now I'm torn between trying to be as hard as I can on my battery in hopes that it might drop 2 more bars in the required time/miles or treat it with care to try and make the battery last at least until my Model 3 reservation comes up or the price of a replacement battery gets cheap enough to just buy one. It's a tough decision as I can picture running the battery into the ground just to drop that last bar a few miles/days too late then be kicking myself for not trying to make it last longer. Looking back through these posts, I see there is a big spread in mileage and time between bar drops so there doesn't seem to be a sure fire way to make it happen in time but I could be cutting my on throat by trying to make it happen and it doesn't. I'm not one to abuse my vehicles so I'll probably just drive the car as I normally would and if the bars drop in time for the free replacement, great. If not, I'm sure I won't be the only one having to face that down the road of Leaf ownership. I really love my car and just can't see myself trying to do anything harmful to it even if it means having to pay for a battery or trade early for another car. My feelings may change after a few months of range anxiety but for now that's where I'm at.

The choice is yours. Chances are you won't lose 2 more bars in 16 months with your remaining mileage if the car is driven "normally". The important question is how much range do you really need?

Reno does not have an especially hot climate, being at nearly 5000 feet altitude in northern Nevada. (I think some people see "Nevada" and automatically think "hot".) It might take a fair amount of extra effort to drop those bars for the warranty. You have to really consider whether that is an effort worthy of your time and energy. (In my case, I decided it wasn't.)

dhanson865 said:
dhanson865 said:
It's going to be below freezing here again tomorrow night.

I'm still losing aHr and Hx. Can I look forward to little or no degradation this winter or will I greet spring with noticeably less capacity than I start winter with?

Shortly after I bought the car used the stats were:

2015 May 15 54.664 Ahr, 83%SOH, 68.01 Hx

The quote above was from Nov 21 2015 which was one month before start of winter my stats were:

2015 Nov 21 51.463 AHr, 78% SOH, 60.10 Hx (lost 2nd bar around here)
2015 Dec 21 51.345 AHr, 78% SOH, 59.85 Hx (roughly first day of winter)
2016 Jan 21 51.194 AHr, 78% SOH, 59.49 Hx
2016 Feb 21 50.965 AHr, 77% SOH, 58.96 Hx
2016 Mar 21 50.735 AHr, 77% SOH, 58.52 Hx (roughly first day of spring)
2016 Arp 21 50.617 AHr, 77% SOH, 58.14 Hx
2017 May 21 50.335 Ahr, 76% SOH, 57.45 Hx

So even with winter driving and no heat exposure of any significance AHr, SOH, and Hx all dropped noticeably during the coldest of winter months.

I have about 5 weeks to go before I can give a one year / 12 month comparison.

OK, so I now have the one year data (and I've edited in the April and May data in the quote above).

dhanson865 May 16th 2015 leafspy stats are 54.664 AHr, 83% SOH, 68.01 Hx, 38,499 miles
dhanson865 May 16th 2016 leafspy stats are 50.361 Ahr, 76% SOH, 57.55 Hx, 48,329 miles

So I'm getting about 10,000 miles a year and I lost about 7% of my range in the last year. I should lose my 3rd bar this summer.

Warranty will run out this winter, I won't lose bar 4 until next summer. No free pack for this car.

2012 Leaf
6/19/16: 48,899 miles, AHr: 47.46, 72% SOH (lost 3rd bar)
7/19/16: 49,385 miles, AHr: 46.904, 72% SOH

Only drove 500 miles in the past month, but AHr is dropping rapidly although I live in SoCal. I do trickle charge it to 100% in the afternoon though. Warranty runs out in Fall of 2017. At this rate, I should drop the 4th bar although my mileage is limited, right? Hopefully two summers will drop the 4th bar.

We just had an interesting month with our MY2011 with nearly 35,000 miles. July was quite hot with virtually each day above 90F. On top of that our garage was full, so our LEAF had to sit out in the sun the entire time. Mileage for this period was a bit above normal at about 850 miles. But rather than seeing a sharp drop in capacity on LeafSpy during this 31-day period, what I saw was basically the same capacity: 51.02Ah->51.04Ah.

The only thing I can think of that MAY have affected the BMS readings is that there were two QCs (lifetime total=6) on July 4. But those were really two FAILED attempts to charge. The quick charger would try to start and then would soon stop. But who knows? Perhaps the high current was able to blast through some metal that was plated on the cathode, releasing some trapped ions.

While the degradation of our LEAF's battery certainly has not stopped, perhaps it has slowed somewhat over what occurred during previous years.

Quick update, my Nissan Leaf 2011 finally lost it's 4th capacity bar at 55,800 miles and 2 weeks before the 5 year birthday, the dealer has opened a warranty claim against Nissan and soon the Leaf will be getting a replacement battery, here are the reading at full charge (4th capacity bar loss) 41.08 AH, 65.86 G% and 182 grids.

vgonzalez said:
Quick update, my Nissan Leaf 2011 finally lost it's 4th capacity bar at 55,800 miles and 2 weeks before the 5 year birthday, the dealer has opened a warranty claim against Nissan and soon the Leaf will be getting a replacement battery, here are the reading at full charge (4th capacity bar loss) 41.08 AH, 65.86 G% and 182 grids.

Congrats, soo happy for you!

RegGuheert said:
We just had an interesting month with our MY2011 with nearly 35,000 miles. July was quite hot with virtually each day above 90F. On top of that our garage was full, so our LEAF had to sit out in the sun the entire time. Mileage for this period was a bit above normal at about 850 miles. But rather than seeing a sharp drop in capacity on LeafSpy during this 31-day period, what I saw was basically the same capacity: 51.02Ah->51.04Ah.
Just a quick followup: Yesterday the LEAF reported 50.94Ah, so it has now dropped some.

Back