Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:D ITS OFFICAL I GOT MY PACK REPALCED YESTERDAY AND THEY HAD DO SOME MINOR PROGRAMING. I PICK IT UP TODAY!

THANKS TO THE NEW WARRANTY!

wow, congrats! so you had lost 4 bars in pomona? can you report some info about when you lost bar 3 and 4? it might help w/ Stoaty's modeling for degradation.

tokenride said:
:D ITS OFFICAL I GOT MY PACK REPALCED YESTERDAY AND THEY HAD DO SOME MINOR PROGRAMING. I PICK IT UP TODAY!

THANKS TO THE NEW WARRANTY!

Lost (1) Capacity bar in mid July '12
Lost (2) Capacity bar on Sept, 4 '12
Lost (3) Capacity bar on April '13
Lost (4) Capacity bar on July '13

I took it into get it ready for a warrnty claim. I was nervous becaseu I did not go in for the battery inpaction onmy first year of the lease. So I thought they would try to decline the warranty coverage for not meeting my obligation of taking it in for the battery inspection. They ran a diagnostic and told me I had 5 stars on all categories of how th epattery was treated. The Nissan tech, Kirk, from Empire Nissan called the Leaf dept and got approval to replace it at no cost. They made no waves about failing to take it in for the first year battery inspection.

The battery pack was ordered. I got a call from Leaf customer service every week to let me know there was no ETA yet. The battery pack took about 45 days to arrive. It was shipped from Japan because Tenesse is only set up to make the packs for the newer models. A+ service the whole way. Now I have anew pack fo the remaining two years of my lease. ;)

Thanks! I'm not sure if I was the first but they did tell me I was one of the first. With Blink charging $5 per charge it was getting a bit stressful..

tokenride said:
Now I have anew pack fo the remaining two years of my lease. ;)
Congratulations on the new battery! :D
Did they provide the "Hot" battery future replacement certificate?
You posted back in September, 2012 that you joined the class action lawsuit. So you're one of the two that are listed in the lawsuit filing, right?
So you're already opted in, unlike the other 20,000+ of us deciding whether to opt in or not.
Did they do the P3227 software update on your LEAF before doing the battery replacement?
Did you enter a four year lease, when you terminated the Rogue lease one year early?
I hadn't heard of many people doing a four year lease? :?
Would be good to add your location in your profile.

TimLee said:
tokenride said:
Now I have anew pack fo the remaining two years of my lease. ;)
Congratulations on the new battery! :D
Did they provide the "Hot" battery future replacement certificate?
You posted back in September, 2012 that you joined the class action lawsuit. So you're one of the two that are listed in the lawsuit filing, right?
So you're already opted in, unlike the other 20,000+ of us deciding whether to opt in or not.
Did they do the P3227 software update on your LEAF before doing the battery replacement?
Did you enter a four year lease, when you terminated the Rogue lease one year early?
I hadn't heard of many people doing a four year lease? :?
Would be good to add your location in your profile.

Thanks!
I did not get a certificate. I did not know about it. But now that you mention it I will definitly ask.

In regards to the lawsuit....umm it was probably not a good idea to have mentioned it on a public forum. And since it not over yet I will wait until to talk more about it...but dont worry I will when its over ;)

But I will say that Nissan is acting quick to replace the batteries and I see no real reason to opt out. Unless you want to file your own suit I guess. They did do the software upgrade before ordering a replacment.

Yeah the four year leas was a first for me. I usually go with two or three year leases. Since I was upsidedown with my Rouge lease early term, I got longer thatn normal lease.

Hopfully the 2016 models will have more miles :mrgreen:

Lost my first bar today @ 14512 miles. I had 232 gids @ 100%. I had 231 yesterday with 12 Bars. I bought the car used with 5200 miles back in March. Not sure when the car was put into service, but It came from southern California.

supra410 said:
Lost my first bar today @ 14512 miles. I had 232 gids @ 100%. I had 231 yesterday with 12 Bars. I bought the car used with 5200 miles back in March. Not sure when the car was put into service, but It came from southern California.
Do you have a way to also read Amp Hour capacity ?
If yes then please record your data with Stoaty in this thread.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sounds like the replacement battery was truly brand new, can you confirm that it has all 12 bars? the way the new warranty was worded, it sounded like they were not promising "like new" capacity.

tokenride said:
Thanks! I'm not sure if I was the first but they did tell me I was one of the first. With Blink charging $5 per charge it was getting a bit stressful..

GaslessInSeattle said:
sounds like the replacement battery was truly brand new, can you confirm that it has all 12 bars? the way the new warranty was worded, it sounded like they were not promising "like new" capacity.

Yes, I can confirm I have all 12 capacity bars. When the battery arrived it was on its own pallet. The Leaf tech called me ans he seemed excited about having his first replacement. They were done the same day and then the next day it took a few hours to do some reprograming. I get the same estimated miles that I had when the car was new.

I think it boils down to the fact that there are simply VERY few used batteries available at this point. As more are replaced, this will change and I suspect vehicles will then start to get refurbished, used batteries...

GaslessInSeattle said:

If I end up with a used battery under warranty.... it will be the begining of the end.
Actually anything less than a new heat tolerant battery will be about the end of it.
The $100 per month battery money will go to a different EV manufacturer.

KJD said:
supra410 said:
Do you have a way to also read Amp Hour capacity ?
If yes then please record your data with Stoaty in this thread.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah I can read AH, but can't send my info as I did the reprogram today. Since I knew the car was about to loose a bar. I wanted to do a little experiment and see if that bar would be replenished after p3227. I guess I'll fwd my findings 3 weeks from today.

I don't think they would replace batteries under nine bars with batteries that have 10 or 11 bars. That would mean more time and money spent under warranty claims. It was just a buffer statement.

tokenride said:
I don't think they would replace batteries under nine bars with batteries that have 10 or 11 bars. That would mean more time and money spent under warranty claims. It was just a buffer statement.

I'm with smkettner, I think it would spell the end for a lot of folks. I'm pleased to hear it's a full new replacement, it's the only way to go if Nissan cares about the brand and the future of EV's.

GaslessInSeattle said:
I'm pleased to hear it's a full new replacement, it's the only way to go if Nissan cares about the brand and the future of EV's.
Why does anyone think Nissan cares about the future of EV's?
I recognize they have done a lot of talk, including their CEO, and way too much of it only 40% half truths. And they are talking about five EVs within five years or less.
But do we measure results on intent and tallk?
Stand behind a real warranty that matches Nissan's original talk on the 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / early 2014 LEAFs and maybe someone will believe Nissan's talk!!!!!!!!!!! :? :( :eek: :shock: :? :( :eek: :shock:

TimLee said:
GaslessInSeattle said:
I'm pleased to hear it's a full new replacement, it's the only way to go if Nissan cares about the brand and the future of EV's.
I recognize they have done a lot of talk, including their CEO, and way too much of it only 40% half truths. And they are talking about five EVs within five years or less.
Stand behind a real warranty that matches Nissan's original talk on the 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / early 2014 LEAFs and maybe someone will believe Nissan's talk!!!!!!!!!!! :? :( :eek: :shock: :? :( :eek: :shock:
On one hand, I understand your concerns about the warranty. On the other hand, it's hard to discount Nissan's commitment to EVs. They are currently building the best selling EV in history, correct?

TimLee said:

If the "talk" is to be believed, Nissan really does care about 2 emerging technologies - electrification and autonomy. 100%. I guess we'll find out if we can believe it sooner or later.

From my understanding Nissan has also invested plenty of financial capital into the Leaf "project". That's in addition to goverment subsidies.

In regards to the warranty, how does it compare to the tesla or Rav-EV warranty. You can imagine why it's tough to warranty a battery. It can be subject to too many variables. The best option would be to drive up to a station and switch it out every time you want get a full one.

Back