Can your road bike fit inside it?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dndrich

Leafpals:

I may join the ranks soon. We'll see.

I ride a nice road bike. Presently I use a trailer hitch mount on my Honda for my bike. Can a road bike fit inside a Leaf with the front wheel off?

My mountain bike fits just fine, so I am sure your road bike will be OK.

Chain grease on the white interior, not so good.

If you want a trailer hitch, contact Bill

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7829" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm getting one shortly.

dndrich said:
Leafpals:

I may join the ranks soon. We'll see.

I ride a nice road bike. Presently I use a trailer hitch mount on my Honda for my bike. Can a road bike fit inside a Leaf with the front wheel off?
Absolutely. I have been meaning to get a hitch installed for over a year now, but STILL haven't gotten around to it. I prefer the hitch just in case I need to carry additional bikes and passengers (ex: family ride with kiddos). Nevertheless, I have done just fine so far putting mine inside without removing the wheel. I fold down the rear seats and place a beach towel across them to rest the bike on. The back wheel goes in first so that the front wheel can be turned vertically to rest in the hatch area along with my gear bag and pump.

Road bike fits with the removal of the front wheel. Fold the rear seats down, put the rear wheel in all the way up to the back of the front seats. The handlebar will rotate and face downward in the hatch area. Front wheel can go anywhere. That's assuming you don't have to take other passengers. I never tried with 60% (of the 40/60) of the back seats folded.

However, now I have a baby seat and when I need to take my bike I take my other car :)

I haven't tried my road bike, but my full suspension 29" fits if I remove the front wheel. The tires are 29 x 2.35" so they are larger circumference wise.

For me, I slide the fork in first, drive side up. Anyway, your road bike will fit nicely inside.

With both of the quick-release wheels off, my 56cm Cannondale road bike fits in the trunk area. The cargo cover has to be removed, but the seats do not need to be folded down. This has been working great for day-to-day use.

ksnogas2112 said:
If you want a trailer hitch, contact Bill

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7829" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm getting one shortly.

I've put the bike in the car, it works with the front tire remove and I ride a bigger bike (I am 6'2"). I also got Bill's hitch and use it and love it.

-Matt

I'm riding a 62cm frame and it fits okay, even without removing the front wheel. I have to move the passenger seat a bit forward though, rear wheel goes in first, turn the front wheel sideways and voila. Tight fit but it works.

Valdemar said:
I'm riding a 62cm frame and it fits okay, even without removing the front wheel. I have to move the passenger seat a bit forward though, rear wheel goes in first, turn the front wheel sideways and voila. Tight fit but it works.

Good stuff!

We've put our hybrid bikes in the back of our Leaf very often. But we have the cargo organizer, making it flat all the way across, and thus much easier.

I have a fold up bicycle Dahon fits nice
I also have a folding USA made Electgric Bicycle that also fits fine. busettii.com awsome Lithium battery, folds, I don't sell them or have any ties ,I just ride them and love superior USA made products like our LEAF ,TENN USA

http://www.busettii.com/folding-mini-4060-mile-high-power-4060.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jstack6 said:
I have a fold up bicycle Dahon fits nice...

Yeah, I own a Dahon too, bought it specifically almost a year ago so that I can take it to those extended trips where I would need to charge and have some mobility at the same time. Have yet to use it for that purpose.

My 57cm road bike fits in the trunk without having to fold the seats down. Just take both wheels off.

I have fit my wife's mountain bike and 2 small kids bikes in the trunk without folding seats down - tight fit but all 3 bikes made it!

walkinwolk said:
The cargo organizer is essential.

I have a very large bicycle (25" / 63cm )with aero handle bars - it still fits in. But it requires some care. I only take off the front wheel. I have got a tire stain on the seatback, and a little scratching of the plastic from the chainrings from my early bike rides with the car. Nowadays, after folding the seatbacks down, I remove the cargo cover, and then lay out a very large tarp, covering the entire back area. I wrap it around the back tire to make sure it can't touch the seatback. I also wrap it up the sides to avoid scratches on the plastic. It takes a few minutes, but it's still the best way - getting any sort of bike rack would probably take just as long. The cargo organizer presents a "flat floor". I'm not sure how hard it would be without it.

Back