Campaign P1274 NTB12-025

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the software update performed at Dirito Brothers Nissan of Concord, CA (which is not where I bought the car) today (2/17/12). They were very nice and pleasant the whole time and have free wifi in their waiting area.

Total time took about 1hr 30min, including a complimentary inspection (tire pressure, brake pads, fluids, etc.) and a car wash. I asked the service adviser what differences I should look out for (to see how much he knew) and after checking with the Leaf tech, said update have been made to telematics, potentially DTE which may show more range. He told me they put in an order for a new manual (as part of this "recall") and they would call me when it came in to either pick it up or if I want them to mail it to me.

What I noticed:
-DTE seems a bit more optimistic, but too early to tell.
-Charging times are disabled, but not reset. What I mean by that is when I went in to set them after the service, my End Time (what my timers were set to), it remembered what I had (times & days) and remembered my % choice. My Start Time was also saved, though not active.
-I did notice that when I turned the fan on, put temp down to 60, then clicked AC to turn AC off (so I just had outside air with the fan), the energy meter read 0 Kw being used. I remember that it used to say there was some Kw being used, even though this combination of button presses should result in none. Previously, the small amount of Kw being used would slowly diminish to 0 as I was driving (over a few minutes) but now it says 0 Kw right away. Maybe that was fixed?
-Radio presets and Bluetooth appear to be untouched which is good.

P.S. While I was waiting in the waiting room I was on a phone call on my wired headset on my iPhone. At one point the audio on my phone/headphones cut out and I thought the call had dropped - and then it did. I called back in and the same thing happened a few minutes later. I realized that my phone was connecting with my car, which means they had been powering it on and off. I suggest turning off your phone's bluebooth while you wait ;)

Happy to answer any other questions.

EricBayArea said:
P.S. While I was waiting in the waiting room I was on a phone call on my wired headset on my iPhone. At one point the audio on my phone/headphones cut out and I thought the call had dropped - and then it did. I called back in and the same thing happened a few minutes later. I realized that my phone was connecting with my car, which means they had been powering it on and off. I suggest turning off your phone's bluebooth while you wait ;)

Happy to answer any other questions.

That's funny, I'll remember that.

Well since you car didn't spontaneously combust or anything like that, I guess I'll go ahead and get it done.

Did you notice any change on the Carwings app mileage estimate? I guess it is supposed address the inaccuracies it has :lol:

MrFish said:
Did you notice any change on the Carwings app mileage estimate? I guess it is supposed address the inaccuracies it has :lol:

Not really. I don't log into Carwings that often and I only used the car for about 10 miles (with 40 showing). Will be charing tonight and using tomorrow... let you know.

EricBayArea said:
-I did notice that when I turned the fan on, put temp down to 60, then clicked AC to turn AC off (so I just had outside air with the fan), the energy meter read 0 Kw being used. ...

if the temp goes below 60 in the cabin, does the heater turn on?

Pressing the "Lower Temp" button for 2 (or 3) seconds at 60ºF does not
turn my Heater off, with old, original, pre-April 2011, Old-Bars firmware.

So, is it just this recent firmware Upgrade that adds the Heater-off function?

what i do with the old firmware is run heat for 5 minutes or so at 80º. then drop it down to 70º and TURN OFF A/C . the power usage drops to zero and stays there way beyond the 70º set point. (i am guessing...after all, the car is not insulated so temps drop fast)

problem is what i need is something blowing on the windshield. wish i could get it to work like that in defrost mode

I had the software update done yesterday. But my wife has been "hogging" the car ever since, so I haven't had a chance to see what's different yet. :roll: :roll:

bowthom said:
Hello,
If I hold the temp control button down at 60* for a couple of seconds the heater stops drawing current.

How did you figured out to try that or did service tech tell you?

DaveinOlyWA said:
what i do with the old firmware is run heat for 5 minutes or so at 80º. then drop it down to 70º and TURN OFF A/C . the power usage drops to zero and stays there way beyond the 70º set point.
I've done that, too (remote preheat, especially), but that does use a lot of energy to get it there, so it's not really a free lunch. Similar to taking it up to 80 MPH before hitting that hill.
problem is what i need is something blowing on the windshield. wish i could get it to work like that in defrost mode
There's something the others call "foot+defrost". I didn't know what they were talking about until I paid attention to the display while repeatedly hitting the "mode" button.

IBELEAF said:
bowthom said:
Hello,
If I hold the temp control button down at 60* for a couple of seconds the heater stops drawing current.

How did you figured out to try that or did service tech tell you?

Well, I just figured I might as well try it cuz' holding the buttons is how you set the defaults like recirculation.

Hello,
I tried turning off the heater this morning. I had the fan on low, in feet+defrost mode, A/C turned off then held the "low temp" button @ 60* for 5 sec. It took a couple minutes but the current rolled back to 500W. Setting the temp to 61* caused it to ramp up current to 4.5 kW. Every time I changed the mode the A/C came on and the fans ran under the hood which ramped up current again. It did not go to zero energy for the CC as I remember it doing before.

Car was sitting in the driveway w/ 38* outside temp. I'll keep an eye on it's behavior for a few days.

bowthom said:
Hello,
I tried turning off the heater this morning. I had the fan on low, in feet+defrost mode, A/C turned off then held the "low temp" button @ 60* for 5 sec. It took a couple minutes but the current rolled back to 500W. Setting the temp to 61* caused it to ramp up current to 4.5 kW. Every time I changed the mode the A/C came on and the fans ran under the hood which ramped up current again. It did not go to zero energy for the CC as I remember it doing before.

Car was sitting in the driveway w/ 38* outside temp. I'll keep an eye on it's behavior for a few days.

If it took a couple of minutes to come down to 500 watts, then that is all the time that was needed to bring the coolant temp to 60 degrees and 500 watts is what was needed to maintain it. Increasing the temp to 61 would cause it to jump again to heat the coolant. The behavior should be set to 60 (or "low") and zero power is pulled at any time. At this time, that is not how it works.

I'll show you one thing that's new. You know that chime they added when you open the door and the car isn't in park? This is what it says: "Shift to Prange"... No joke. Aside from the weird "prange" thing, it's also wrong because you don't shift into P at all - you push a button. WTF? :roll: :lol: :oops:
6832464672_3134659990_z.jpg

Had this recall done on 03/29/12 because I kept getting urgent recall notices from my dealer to have it done. Did notice the door open chime change. Also seems to be a change in "growing trees". Trees don't show up as quickly as they used to and the energy dial above it seems to spend less time in the "full" range. I questioned the Tech if any of my settings had changed and he said he didn't think so. He said he had to reset the IP clock. I mentioned that others have said their timers were off after the recall was done, so he followed me to my car to check it out. (My dealer service department has the Techs deliver the cars back to the customers in case they have any questions.) Sure enough the timers were set as they should, but turned off. The Tech said that probably was because the acc battery is disconnected during the software upload. Also a new owner's manual was ordered and I picked it up 04/06/12. It seems to be about 25% thicker than the old one. Wonder what has changed?

never got a manual...but then again, never read a single page of the original one. there is probably a lot about the car i dont know

Back