Buy This Car?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorcalGuy

OK, we may have found the used Leaf we can live with. 11 capacity bars showing on a 2011 SL with 26K miles. Southern California car. They are asking $13,549.

11 bars for a 2011 - is this pretty good? Should we expect to find one with 12 bars?

I don't think you will find many 2011's with 12 bars.

I'd say go for it, wait a year or two to see how the new "lizard" battery pans out, then replace that and get a brand new battery, potentially even having "13" bars of capacity due to newer tech in the future.

Good advice from mc tom, but I will remind you that I love the 6kw charger that came on the 2013 model and wasn't available in the 2011 model.

mctom987 said:
I don't think you will find many 2011's with 12 bars.

I'd say go for it, wait a year or two to see how the new "lizard" battery pans out, then replace that and get a brand new battery, potentially even having "13" bars of capacity due to newer tech in the future.

Hmmm, you've got me thinking. We found a very high mileage car (77K) that I could make an offer on and plan to get the new battery. We were leaning toward the other car because this one is virtually out of warranty.

MrIanB said:
I have a 2011 SL w 8k miles and all bars w Texas heat.

Ian B
Wow, that is unusual :shock:
Really low miles per year AND you still have all 12 capacity bars in Texas :shock:
Most three year old LEAFs have lost at least one capacity bar just due to time.
But in cooler climates and with really low miles there may be a few that still have all twelve.

25k miles on 2012 in KS heat (25 months ownership, 26 months since manufacture). this is its third summer. but I'm definitely sniffing loss of the first bar but it's still there.

with used electric cars I would assume 1 less bar than it shows because you are likely about to lose that one. if it shows 12 assume it's about to lose 1 and it's really an 11. if it's an 11 assume it's about to lose that one and it's really a 10.

this is probably a good rule of thumb until you get to the 5 year, 60k mile, 4 bar zone. in that case you need to assume that third bar will stick around 24 hours and 1 mile past the replacement warranty period.

NorcalGuy said:
OK, we may have found the used Leaf we can live with. 11 capacity bars showing on a 2011 SL with 26K miles. Southern California car. They are asking $13,549.

11 bars for a 2011 - is this pretty good? Should we expect to find one with 12 bars?

get the new pack, you have a better than new car for $20,000. I am assuming the physical appearance is near new right?

If you plan on getting a new pack at some point anyway, I'd find a car with a few more bars gone that the dealer is a bit more desperate to unload. As long as you can deal with the bad range for the time being. Or you could have them put in a new pack before you drive it home.

pkulak said:
If you plan on getting a new pack at some point anyway, I'd find a car with a few more bars gone that the dealer is a bit more desperate to unload. As long as you can deal with the bad range for the time being. Or you could have them put in a new pack before you drive it home.

Just offered $8500 for the 77k car. Otherwise clean and the glacier white we want. It's actually showing 10 bars and we can see if we can get by with the battery in its current (pun) condition.

Didn't get it! Going to buy the one with 11 bars. Will need to drive 30 miles with about 3000 climb. Will we make it? Can charge there.

LeftieBiker said:
Climb as slowly as you can.

Uh oh! The climb is about three miles and gains the full 2000 ft. I do it in 2nd and 3rd gear in my bimmer. It's not good to hold up traffic. Am I blowing it to get the used Leaf?

I don't know exactly how far the car will go at a given speed, given that climb. All I know is that speed is an even larger factor (as is acceleration) when climbing than it is normally, so the slower you climb, the better the range.

NorcalGuy said:
Didn't get it! Going to buy the one with 11 bars. Will need to drive 30 miles with about 3000 climb. Will we make it? Can charge there.

after you get to the top, you won't need to charge. the downhill will take care of that!

DaveinOlyWA said:
after you get to the top, you won't need to charge. the downhill will take care of that!

I can attest to that. I gained 2% with a 1000ft drop. Guesstrapolating, you should charge no higher than 85% at the top in order to make full use of the regen on the decent.

Woosie said:
Good advice from mc tom, but I will remind you that I love the 6kw charger that came on the 2013 model and wasn't available in the 2011 model.

I haven't seen the OP mention whether the car has the Quick Charger. Not all SLs had the QC feature in 2011 - strongly suggest that option in California as there are so many QCs.

NorcalGuy said:
LeftieBiker said:
Climb as slowly as you can.

Uh oh! The climb is about three miles and gains the full 2000 ft. I do it in 2nd and 3rd gear in my bimmer. It's not good to hold up traffic. Am I blowing it to get the used Leaf?
Use Tony Williams Range chart to evaluate the climb.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=101293#p101293" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You really have not provided enough info on how you will be using the used LEAF to provide an informed opinion on whether it is a good choice for your driving needs and financial circumstances.
Could be a great decision.
Could be a dreadful decision.
The answer is in the details of your situation.

Back