Buy a 2013 model or take over a 2014 lease.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inphoenix

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and seeking some help/guidance. I was looking to lease a Leaf and the local dealers are offering a S trim with QC for about $260 a month with zero down for 36 months.

However the two other offers I have are as follows:

1. Takeover someone's lease with zero down, $230 a month for remaining 19 months of their lease. This is a 2014 S with a QC with about 21,000 miles.

2. Buy a 2013 SV or a SL for about 12K respectively. No tax (private sellers). They both have about 20K miles on them.

What would be my best option here? Trying to compare pros and cons.

Also, what do I need to watch for when buying a used Leaf? Any special considerations when transferring a lease?

Any help would be appreciated.

Assuming your username reflects your actual location, you'll want to get the 2015 and the "lizard" battery. Especially if leasing one is only $30/month more than taking over someone else's lease.

For about $80/month or $2800 for three years more, you would own the 2013 vs leased 2015. Depending on battery health, it might be a good way to go. Essentially, if you can sell the 2013 Leaf for more than $2800 in 3 years, you come out ahead.

RonDawg said:
Assuming your username reflects your actual location, you'll want to get the 2015 and the "lizard" battery. Especially if leasing one is only $30/month more than taking over someone else's lease.

Thanks. I did not know about the "Lizard battery". Is that new in 2015? Can you point me to any thread that talks about the benefits of this battery over the other one?

Also, the other reason to consider lease take over was that it would be less than 36 months. Yes, I am in Phoenix and liked the idea that this lease would be over soon and I can get the new gen leaf with 200 miles range (if the rumors are true).

inphoenix said:
RonDawg said:

Thanks. I did not know about the "Lizard battery". Is that new in 2015? Can you point me to any thread that talks about the benefits of this battery over the other one?.

It was introduced for the 2015 model year, which itself was introduced early (the 2014 is an abbreviated production year). Nissan promises that the LIzard battery will be more resistant to heat than the ones used in earlier Leafs, particularly the pre-2013 models. From http://insideevs.com/breaking-nissan-prices-leaf-battery-replacement-5499-new-packs-heat-durable/

“Changes in battery chemistry, however, have been made in an effort to make the battery more durable in extremely hot climates. (So, yes…this is what you’ve been calling the “lizard” battery.) We knew it was important to early buyers to purchase the latest technology. Holding the replacement program until this summer meant we would be offering just that.”

If you Google "Nissan Leaf Lizard Battery" you'll see numerous threads and articles about it.

Back