Bought used, is there anything we should have checked?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read somewhere else on here, and verified on my own vehicle, the charge count is much higher than actual if using the charge timer. It increases the count by one when you connect the power, and increases it again when it starts charging. The only thing that I would be concerned about would be if the DCQC count was really high.

I got a digit transposed. It was 1090, not 1900. The info about impact of timer makes sense now. 500 charges over 18 months sounds more reasonable.

For comparison this is a 2011 3-bar loser from the Los Angeles area. Probably 90% L2 charges were timers.

Screenshot_2015-05-11-09-38-21.png

ishiyakazuo said:
As I understand it, SOH is the percentage of the original battery's capacity that is still available. ...
No.
A lot of people have confused it for that.
And it is pretty close to that on most.
But it is its own unique Nissan parameter.
% capacity still available is AHr divided by original new battery amp hours.

nbast said:
I finally have battery info from Leaf Spy. Could someone help interpret the data? The graph didn't stay constant, so I'm including two screenshots...
59.34 Amp-hours is pretty good for a 2012. For comparison, a new battery pack is thought to have been around 66.25 Ahr. Mine is currently at 55.98 Ahr but your VIN shows your car to be some months newer than mine. The upstate New York climate seems to be fairly friendly to LEAF batteries.

dhanson865 said:
nbast said:
What do the percentages mean, SOC, SOH, and Hx?

Is SOH% of original capacity? If so, 90% seems pretty good.

I checked here, but I don't see a definition of terms section to define what the various acronyms mean. I see that SOC is 'State of Charge', but I don't know what that actually means.

I'm sure I'll be fluent in all jargon before long...

SOC equals the percentage of maximum charge.

The battery has a 0% to 100% range different than what is shown on the dash.

The dash 100% is somewhere in the 90s SOC wise. Dash 0% is somewhere in the single digits SOC wise. They do that to prevent you from damaging the battery (it physically damages the battery to sit at 100% SOC or 0% SOC and to a lesser extent can do so if you get close to either extreme).

I'll let someone else explain SOH and Hx.

fwiw I just picked up a used 2012 Leaf SL with SOH of 83% and Hx of 68% and Ahr of 54.66.

I was surprised how low the leafspy SOC topped out (around 92.7 to 92.8% at the end of a full charge). I charged it to full on a free L2 on the way home and charged it again with the L1 at home and both times it stopped the charge at 92.x%

I've been leaving it on the L1 to try and top balance the pack and it seems to have lowered the cell imbalance some but hasn't changed the maximum SOC any.

Luckily my garage is essentially air conditioned (heat pump water heater and leakage from the fully conditioned space) so I don't have to worry as much about charging to full.

I suppose I'll avoid letting it sit on the charger in the parking lot at work when it's hot.

Back