Bodywork on the Leaf, expensive or cheap?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cossie1600 said:
worth 11K (I think it is closer to 12K, the SV are closer to 10-11K)

How so when you have a Leaf S? You may have the optional QC but SV has a heat pump and B mode and cruise control, the latter two of which were not available on the Leaf S for 2013 and the heat pump is still not available on that model.

RonDawg said:
cossie1600 said:
worth 11K (I think it is closer to 12K, the SV are closer to 10-11K)

How so when you have a Leaf S? You may have the optional QC but SV has a heat pump and B mode and cruise control, the latter two of which were not available on the Leaf S for 2013 and the heat pump is still not available on that model.
And the SV has nav system, telematics (Carwings), alloy wheels and a 6-speaker stereo vs. no nav, no Carwings, steel wheels w/plastic hubcaps and a 4-speaker stereo. And, the SV comes w/6 kW OBC which is optional on the Leaf S (which the OP does).

The SV also has Bluetooth A2DP music streaming which I believe the '13 S doesn't have.

That's what they show in the comparsion. I guess it doesn't matter what they pay since it is upside down and GAP will cover it. What I don't get is why does the sales tax go back to them. What if I go out and buy a new car, now I have to pay for sales tax again? It's kind of BS

cossie1600 said:
That's what they show in the comparsion. I guess it doesn't matter what they pay since it is upside down and GAP will cover it. What I don't get is why does the sales tax go back to them. What if I go out and buy a new car, now I have to pay for sales tax again? It's kind of BS

Yes, because it's another purchase. I think the only way you can avoid paying sales tax again is if your insurance company gives you a "like replacement" but NMAC does not allow that.

It's no different than if you bought this Leaf rather than leased it, except you'll be out even more money on sales tax because with a purchase you pay tax on the entire price of the car, rather than just the difference between purchase price and residual.

Cossie1600,

I'm sorry for your loss. Although the car is technically repairable, the insurance company will declare it a total loss and then try to low ball the reimbursement due to the low auction values of used Leafs. I had to argue with the other driver's insurance company over the course of several weeks to get the reimbursement up to somewhere close to the cost of buying a used 2011 equal to what I had before the collision. I still lost a lot because the insurance company refused to pay legitimate expenses I incurred and never did get up to what my 2011 with a relatively new battery was worth. I finally got tired of arguing and settled. You have a lease which effectively has gap insurance so both you and Nissan will suffer large losses. You lose your down payment, any extras you added, and the cost of your new tires. Nissan Financial loses because they will get less reimbursement than your remaining lease payments combined with residual value. The insurance company wins because they pay far less than they should to make you and Nissan whole.

Gerry

This is bizarre. How is it that my insurance is paying Nissan my DMV fees (I paid in August) and my CVRP rebate returns (I have 25 months in) to Nissan. They all came out of my pocket!!!! I still don't get why I am getting shafted when my entire family was rear-ended.

cossie1600 said:
This is bizarre. How is it that my insurance is paying Nissan my DMV fees (I paid in August) and my CVRP rebate returns (I have 25 months in) to Nissan. They all came out of my pocket!!!! I still don't get why I am getting shafted when my entire family was rear-ended.

That's the way it goes. That's why it's recommended you put as little down on a lease as the bank will allow, because with NMAC especially you will not get any refund of fees paid.

Don't blame Nissan or NMAC....that's the way it is no matter the car manufacturer or bank. If you buy a new $100k Tesla, and a month later it gets totaled in a crash, sorry but you're out the remaining 11 months of your reg fees. Sacramento will not refund you these fees.

As far as the CVRP, because you have not had the car 30 months, you do owe them a pro-rated refund. Sorry but you agreed to that when you agreed to take the money.

I WROTE THE CHECK TO CVRP after the car totalled. The insurance company wrote the check to NMAC instead of me!!! I paid the DMV fees for 2015-2016, not Nissan. I bought the Leaf in 2013. How the f is it their money?

cossie1600 said:
I WROTE THE CHECK TO CVRP after the car totalled. The insurance company wrote the check to NMAC instead of me!!! I paid the DMV fees for 2015-2016, not Nissan. I bought the Leaf in 2013. How the f is it their money?

Sounds like your beef is with your insurance company. I think we're done here.

cossie1600 said:
The insurance company wrote the check to NMAC instead of me!!! I paid the DMV fees for 2015-2016, not Nissan. I bought the Leaf in 2013. How the f is it their money?

Of course your insurer would write the check to NMAC...unless you own the car "free and clear", the bank will have first dibs to any insurance payouts; only after their debt is satisfied do you get the remainder of the insurance payout, if any. You agreed to that when you agreed to take out a loan or lease agreement.

If this was leased through NMAC, you agreed that in exchange for getting free gap insurance that in case of an insurance write off that you would not be due any refunds of your down payment or any positive equity...not that a leased Leaf would have any.

As far as not getting a refund for your unused car registration...that's the way it works, at least in this state. From: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/online/refund/refundfaqs

Q: I paid the vehicle/vessel registration fees for my vehicle and operated the vehicle for two weeks into the new registration year. I will no longer operate this vehicle/vessel. Can the registration fees I paid be refunded?
A: No. The fees paid for registering a vehicle or vessel can not be refunded once the vehicle is operated into the new registration year.

If you don't like it, take it up with your local state Assemblyman.

What are you talking about, I am talking about the CVRP refund I have to give back to the state. It has nothing to do with the vehicle's downpayment. The registration fees are not refunded by the state, but because of the accident I lost 11 months worth of registration. I should not have to pay out of pocket again for it.

It gets even better, the other driver are now trying to decline responsibility claiming we threw a "block" on him and cut him off.

You were complaining about how NMAC got first (and only) dibs to the insurance payout. I'm telling you that's how it's done when you don't possess the pink slip to the car.

The loss of 11 months' registration is again something out of the control of Nissan, NMAC, and your insurance company. That's something you have to take up with the State of California.

You might want to do more research before you type non sense.

Here is what actually happened.
The CVRP was rebate back to ME after I paid back CVRP with cash.
The insurance payout went to NMAC as it should, they did give them my new tire adjustment to them instead of me.
Even though there is gap coverage on the lease, but Nissan didn't eat the $500 deductible.
I did get 11 months of registration back in cash because I paid for it. Nissan didn't.

Back