Boards for lincomatic's open source "LeafCAN"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
So, how does one distinguish the old 1.3 firmware from the new 1.3?

The bottom display line has Voltage 55B SOC and a very nervous 'instant' KW number that auto ranges. The 1.3 Release has the bottom display with Voltage nnn.n Amps and KW. Personally, I really like the SOC 55B value and I'm glad I have the test version. The voltage doesn't change much and I will reprogram the unit as the release 1.3 but replace the GID percentage with the 55B one. It is more responsive than the GID value and shows 0.1% resolution which is good for checking on regen on stopping or going down hills.

I can confirm that the sparkfun bare OBD connector makes a great low profile, right angle connector to keep it away from your knees. First I bent all the tabs down with pliers, followed with the bench vise to get them all flat. I drilled a hole in the side (Really. I didn't gnaw the hole with my teeth as it appears - I recommend properly securing it when drilling :)) to bring in some spare CAT5 cable in and soldered it up. Pretty straight forward. Last step is to seal it in clear epoxy.

Attachments

• lp.jpg
    lp.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 141
lincomatic said:
Nekota said:
I think the bottom line shows the pack voltage, the new SOC% (55B), and the pack amps. I have noticed the regen current can go to -240A which doesn't seem right but the automatic decimal point on the current is nice to have.

I don't know what version Chris is shipping. The one in QueenBee's photo has 4 numbers on the top line, so it's as I described.
If yours has SOC% on in the middle of the bottom line, it's running a version that I quickly hacked up for testing.
That one has voltage, SOC% (55B), power (KW)
but there is a bug in the display of the KW value, which I fixed in the latest version that's in github.

I'm ordering some encoders that have a knob that doubles as a pushbutton, similar to this one: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9117" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's just too much information to display on one screen.
I want to add a GOM screen where it shows miles to VLB for various miles/KWh values, like WattsUp does.
If you are going to do that, what do you think about adding an analog mux that would allow the controller to select between EVcan and CARcan so some of the displays can be from the can bus. Maybe something like this. I added a piezo and made my gid-o-meter chirp whenever the friction brakes were applied and find myself staying in that mode most of the time and only occasionally switching to EVcan to get readings. Be nice if the device could stay in carcan for brake monitoring and poll the EV can, say, once a second for battery information. Of course, now I have two meters so maybe it isn't as big a deal for me.

Attachments

• dualdisplay.jpg
    dualdisplay.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 126
For me making the connector very low profile is not necessary. It barely sticks out as it is.
leafcan.jpg

The connector by its self with a dual shielded pair is so very low profile compared with the full 16 wire connector recommended in Garygid's parts list.
ODB2.jpg

I've been happy with that same right-angle extension cable. Keeps it out of the way and unseen, with the cable run to the passenger side.

I'd love to have some audible indication of Wh/mile (burn rate), but can't think of a way to do it that wouldn't get quickly annoying.
A sound for regen->friction sounds handy indeed.

As a service, I am not trying to retire on the profits, I got a couple of OBD II connectors from Sparkfun today. I can make up a cable like the photo for $15 shipped first class mail. The cable I use is a Beldon 2 pair each shielded twisted pair. I can make up any length but I suggest 5 feet or less. It has power, ground, EV high and EV low. Before the V2 hardware I was making it up as switched, unswitched, drain for ground, and the EV buss.

Ordered a board. I can't wait to read my gid count. :)

I ordered this LCD, was thinking about changing the display color based upon amperage in/out of the battery. Good news is that it works the same as the other LCD recommended in this thread, it just defaults to red.

JeremyW said:
Ordered a board. I can't wait to read my gid count. :)

I ordered this LCD, was thinking about changing the display color based upon amperage in/out of the battery. Good news is that it works the same as the other LCD recommended in this thread, it just defaults to red.
I got one similar. Be careful, though. Mine was common cathode and the lincomatic is wired for common anode. Not sure about the one you purchased. Pretty easy to fix - especially if q2 was accidentally left off as it was on mine. I just rotated the 100 Ohm resistor so it connected to the ground on a nearby cap instead of 5V and then wired 5V to one of the three anodes. Looking at the picture, though, it appears the one you ordered is common anode (at least there is a red wire from the common pin to the (+) row on the breadboard).

TickTock said:
If you are going to do that, what do you think about adding an analog mux that would allow the controller to select between EVcan and CARcan so some of the displays can be from the can bus. Maybe something like this. I added a piezo and made my gid-o-meter chirp whenever the friction brakes were applied and find myself staying in that mode most of the time and only occasionally switching to EVcan to get readings. Be nice if the device could stay in carcan for brake monitoring and poll the EV can, say, once a second for battery information. Of course, now I have two meters so maybe it isn't as big a deal for me.

Can you point me to the info for the friction brake message? That is a feature that I need very badly.

lincomatic said:
TickTock said:

Can you point me to the info for the friction brake message? That is a feature that I need very badly.

1ca is the message you are looking for. I compiled everything here:canbus messages.

Finished assembly and programing of my LeafCAN board.
Cable should arrive next Tuesday.
I had the boards fabricated by OSH Park.
8123928575_e71a0420e5.jpg

A big thanks to lincomatic and Chris Howell for all their work on this project.
Greg C.

lincomatic said:
Looks great! Did you use skillet reflow?
No skillet or oven yet, that's another project to work on.
All components were hand soldered using my Hakko 936 soldering iron.
This was my first try at a TQFP package, luckily did not need the spare chip or boards. :D
Greg C.

Barbouri said:
No skillet or oven yet, that's another project to work on.
All components were hand soldered using my Hakko 936 soldering iron.
This was my first try at a TQFP package, luckily did not need the spare chip or boards. :D
Greg C.

You must have a very steady hand. Impressive soldering!

Soo... I got the board, my LCD, cable... is there a good walk through of how to put this all together? I'll be doing a 100% charge friday night. I want to get a quick gid count!

Others who bought the last boards, what's your status of the project? :)

It only beeps when you screw up and it is pretty muted. I don't find it annoying. Putting it on the display is easy enough, but the thinking was you really should be looking at the road while you are braking. Maybe flashing the display would be noticeable from the corner of the eye...
TomT said:
Would it be possible to incorporate this as a single decimal point somewhere on the display. I'd be interesting in being able to see it but I don't want something frequently beeping at me...

lincomatic said:
TickTock said:
1ca is the message you are looking for. I compiled everything here:canbus messages.
Thanks!

Back