Blink changes usage rules on commercial charges

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankyouOB

I have been using a Blink at work for about 6 months off and on, and regularly for the past month.

Today, was the first day that it would not allow me to charge without registering my card and signing up for a specific account, while leaving a credit card.
It also requires signing the two agreements.

Is this happening elsewhere?

Up until today it has been free at this parking venue at work.
I was allowed to charge today with a guest code from Blink. I dont know if it will ask for bucks the next time.
Registration for the premium membership was free, as the fee is waived for early adopters for 2012.

Blink/Ecotality is rolling out the newer software, which will allow billing, etc. Some areas have had it for months, some may be getting it now. L2 is still "free", but that will change eventually.

Does one of these agreements affect your residential agreement if you are in the EV project?

thankyouOB said:
Today, was the first day that it would not allow me to charge without registering my card and signing up for a specific account, while leaving a credit card.
It also requires signing the two agreements.

Edit: See the next response by davewill. This is what needed to be pointed out and why I posed this question. Beware, the change in the original RA agreement is completely unacceptable.

91040 said:
Does one of these agreements affect your residential agreement if you are in the EV project?
Sure does. Luckily I had an extra card, so I signed up as a regular non EV Project member. Of course, that means my home EVSE stats won't appear on my dashboard with my public charging stats, but I'll be darned if I'll agree to allow them unilateral control of future changes.

Hi All,

We actually just rolled out our new membership software yesterday. Charging is still free for a bit longer. You will need to register your InCard with a membership. Blink Plus's $30 annual fee is waived until the end of the year. :) See the following thread about the new software we posted a few weeks ago...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9390&hilit=blink+membership" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

davewill said:
91040 said:
Sure does. Luckily I had an extra card, so I signed up as a regular non EV Project member. Of course, that means my home EVSE stats won't appear on my dashboard with my public charging stats, but I'll be darned if I'll agree to allow them unilateral control of future changes.

Woah, woah, hold on a sec... I am part of the EV Project and I replied to ECOtality's request back on 11/9/11 relating to the updated Residential Participant Agreement. That was the one that added the clause, "ECOtality has the right to unilaterally change the terms of this agreement" which we ALL did not agree with.

I just went on the Blink website, signed into my account, and then proceed to choose the "free" membership with the $1.50/hr charging rate, just so I had it available should I need it. I added my credit card info so they could bill me (again, if I need it), but no where did it ask me to update my ECOtality Residential Participant Agreement.

Are we talking about the same thing?

EricBayArea said:
davewill said:
91040 said:

Woah, woah, hold on a sec... I am part of the EV Project and I replied to ECOtality's request back on 11/9/11 relating to the updated Residential Participant Agreement. That was the one that added the clause, "ECOtality has the right to unilaterally change the terms of this agreement" which we ALL did not agree with.

I just went on the Blink website, signed into my account, and then proceed to choose the "free" membership with the $1.50/hr charging rate, just so I had it available should I need it. I added my credit card info so they could bill me (again, if I need it), but no where did it ask me to update my ECOtality Residential Participant Agreement.

Are we talking about the same thing?

there was a box to check about the agreement. in fact, two boxes.
I tried not checking either, then only the one; it would not go through.
somehow I doubt you got a different webtool and set of prompts.

who knew it affected the EV Project. sucks.

EricBayArea said:
thankyouOB said:
there was a box to check about the agreement. in fact, two boxes.
I tried not checking either, then only the one; it would not go through.
somehow I doubt you got a different webtool and set of prompts.
Sneaky :cry:
Yeah, the check box says, "I agree to the RPA Terms and Conditions." If you didn't know the acronym "RPA" or click the link to find out, you'd just skip right through.

My Blink card worked today at IKEA. I registered my card some time ago.... do I need to join this membership to avoid getting cut off?

There is NO possibility I will pay any annual fee ever. Should I just bail out now?

If you sign up for membership using an email address tied to your residential account then it will make you agree to the new residential terms to continue. Simple solution is sign up for a membership using a different email address, that's what I did. That way it doesn't ask you to agree to unacceptable RPA terms.

smkettner said:
There is NO possibility I will pay any annual fee ever. Should I just bail out now?
One membership plan (Basic) is always free... but the rates, once they charge, will be higher. For now, the one that costs (Plus) is also free.

grommet said:
smkettner said:
One membership plan (Basic) is always free... but the rates, once they charge, will be higher. For now, the one that costs (Plus) is also free.
Thanks for the reply.

I would far prefer to pay as I go even if a bit more.

Gonewild said:
why do you have to sign up again if the first term has ended?

The term hasn't ended for everyone. My term ends on 12/31/2012. The updated one ends on 12/31/2014 but also says that ECOtality can change any part of the contract whenever they'd like - so it could presumably never ever end.

My request has been kicked up to the Regional offices and I'll let everyone know what they say when I hear back.

EricBayArea said:
Gonewild said:
why do you have to sign up again if the first term has ended?

The term hasn't ended for everyone. My term ends on 12/31/2012. The updated one ends on 12/31/2014 but also says that ECOtality can change any part of the contract whenever they'd like - so it could presumably never never end.

My request has been kicked up to the Regional offices and I'll let everyone know what they say when I hear back.

please do.

Back