Black box in the trunk

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if the dealer sold you their test drive vehicle? I would expect Nissan to add a lot of monitoring equipment to these cars since they aren't supposed to be sold.

You absolutely must plug a VGA monitor into it!

Where are you located? I can come to you with a battery-powered monitor, CATC USB test box, spectrum analyzer, and box of tools.
I'm fascinated by your Bonus Box.

Seahorse said:
My orphan LEAF came with a black box in the trunk, see photo. I guess it is some sort of data recorder. Does anyone know how to turn it off and remove it?

Range Extension Linear Amplifier for Large Grey Alien Anal Probe Device. National Security Agency will be by pretty soon to have a chat.

Seriously, it looks like an after-market tracking device, perhaps put in to keep track of the vehicle before it was sold. I'd yank it out. After all, what are they going to do to you if you do tear it out - abduct you again?

GroundLoop said:
So, whatever came of this??

If nothing else, you have to find a photographer friend to get in there and post some detailed pictures.

I was thinking about this a few days ago, as well. :geek:

DarkStar said:
I wonder if the dealer sold you their test drive vehicle? I would expect Nissan to add a lot of monitoring equipment to these cars since they aren't supposed to be sold.

This seems like the most plausible explanation to me. It could be a test drive vehicle with a data recorder installed by Nissan. If so, I don't think they were supposed to sell you that car as of yet.

Maybe he tried to look in the box?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZjZbJuhPAo[/youtube]

The general consensus is that this some type of data recorder. If so - I'd be most interested in understanding where and how it connects into the cars electronics. There may be some diagnostic port that has yet to be hacked by the folks at MNL - something besides the OBDII.

I'd also be a bit upset if I purchased a car as new, that had clearly been used for testing. Wonder is the electronic odometer was reset before purchase?

I hope mine has one and the FBI is recording where I go. They're going to be really bored.

Work. Target. Work. Home. Work. Home. Work. Home. Inlaws. Liquor store. Home.

Seahorse is still MIA. I thought our jokes were funny but apparently not that funny. Maybe we chased Seahorse off with our antics. Seahorse, if you are listening, we are sorry. Tell us what happened...

Too funny!
My wife says, "Tone it down."
:)
Still wondering how this slipped through the Nissan Japan folks.

scr71 said:
Too funny!
My wife says, "Tone it down."
:)
Still wondering how this slipped through the Nissan Japan folks.

Really, this is a very interesting thread and we ought to keep on it. The fact that the original reporter is absent from the discussion is worrisome. Does anyone live near him and would be willing to drive past the house or parked car? Is the present location and/or disposition of the Black Box known and if so, what has happened to it? Enquiring minds would like to know. I see an article for Wired Magazine on this one!

At this point my guess would be that he might have gotten some sort of payment and in exchange returned the box and was asked to not talk about the 'mistake'.

Just a guess though.

Back