BEWARE of Santa Monica Dealership. They wont let you charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He Said, She Said.......... Ok so what........................... it is over!!!
The dealership has said it is OK to charge what more do we need?
There are more important things to address than one stupid incident.

Let’s move on and discuss the real issues like when am I gonna get my bloody car?

Brightonuk said:
He Said, She Said.......... Ok so what........................... it is over!!!
The dealership has said it is OK to charge what more do we need?
There are more important things to address than one stupid incident.

Let’s move on and discuss the real issues like when am I gonna get my bloody car?
This isn't the first time we've had these complaints, followed by an apology and assurance that they allow charging. It's clear to me that the staff at Santa Monica Nissan are total jerks, Paul's efforts aside. They tried to hold him at the dealership when he was trying to leave for god's sake. I, for one, will never set foot there, or recommend them to anyone for any reason.

davewill said:
They tried to hold him at the dealership when he was trying to leave for god's sake. I, for one, will never set foot there, or recommend them to anyone for any reason.
To be fair to SM Nissan, it may be that they blocked his car AFTER he assaulted the sales person and they didn't want him to leave before the police got there. Seems to me there is plenty of blame to go around for all parties involved.

Stoaty said:
davewill said:
They tried to hold him at the dealership when he was trying to leave for god's sake. I, for one, will never set foot there, or recommend them to anyone for any reason.
To be fair to SM Nissan, it may be that they blocked his car AFTER he assaulted the sales person and they didn't want him to leave before the police got there. Seems to me there is plenty of blame to go around for all parties involved.

Agreed.

EVDRIVER said:
Stoaty said:
davewill said:
Agreed.
Actually, Paul was pretty clear in his description. The salesman standing behind him trying to block him came first and pretty much caused the rest of the ugliness. Had the LEAF driver simply kept his cool, he'd have been the one deciding whether to file a complaint when the cops arrived.

All of which is academic. They obviously resent LEAF owners asking to charge, and have no customer service skills. That's enough for me.

davewill said:
All of which is academic. They obviously resent LEAF owners asking to charge, and have no customer service skills. That's enough for me.

I think you summarized it well.. the proper way to deal with this is to temporarily "disable" the EVSE in the back and state the one in the front has been reserved for a person that called ahead, or perhaps its reserved for a Leaf that is or will be serviced soon, and then suggest the nearby free chargers.. but insulting a customer is very unprofessional and Nassir should be punished by Nissan for this. Make him come up to corporate for an interview, make him wait half the day or so.. perhaps mess around with the allocation if they can do that legally.. they probably can. Your allocation is under review, sorry it takes time to do the review..

I doubt the dealership can restrict the EVSE for 3 months to paying customers, sounds like it would seriously break the Nissan agreement. Perhaps a simple requirement to make the customer wait at the dealership would be enough to curtail the power leeches, for safety and liability reasons of course.. and thats why you cant charge overnight.

A very simple solution would be for Nissan to place a sign by the EVSE, "Thank You for patronizing this Nissan dealership, would you like to fill out a customer satisfaction feedback form?.. please call this number and one will be provided"

Herm said:
... the proper way to deal with this is to temporarily "disable" the EVSE in the back and state the one in the front has been reserved for a person that called ahead, or perhaps its reserved for a Leaf that is or will be serviced soon, and then suggest the nearby free chargers..
Actually the proper way to deal with this is to state clearly their policy of refusing drop-ins, then politely send the customer elsewhere. Evasions and lies just makes things worse.

Not sure why dealerships are having such a hard time seeing the benefit of building-up some goodwill by providing free charging. Since when is increasing foot traffic into your dealership a bad thing? The cost of electricity is negligible for a business already using as much power as they do. Don't they realize that at some point these people will be in the market for a new car? To me it's the equivalent of cheap advertising.

davewill said:
Actually the proper way to deal with this is to state clearly their policy of refusing drop-ins, then politely send the customer elsewhere. Evasions and lies just makes things worse.

I'm just suggesting a way for Nassir to be more diplomatic

DTB said:
To me it's the equivalent of cheap advertising.

Even better than that, its a captive audience if you make them wait at the dealership. Plus its good for Leafs to be seen charging.

DTB said:
Not sure why dealerships are having such a hard time seeing the benefit of building-up some goodwill by providing free charging. Since when is increasing foot traffic into your dealership a bad thing?
It's a mystery to me why a dealer would go to the trouble of getting Leaf certified, sell the Leaf, then want to keep people AWAY from their dealership. Just doesn't seem like the way to sell cars.

Have you run into any other dealers that dont allow charging

I have never had a bad expereince until Santa Monica Nissan.

All other dealers have been great... And I mean really really welcoming

As more Leafs get on the road, what do you think about a system where dealers can charge for their charger service

or if a dealer doesnt allow charging to be removed from car Wings

I would suggest driving one's LEAF into the Santa Monica dealership at 50 plus and through the front showroom windows. Then get out slowly and calmly while brushing off the glass and say "can I use you charging station?" That would be one approach.

Brought to you by deeper thoughts.

Stoaty said:
It's a mystery to me why a dealer would go to the trouble of getting Leaf certified, sell the Leaf, then want to keep people AWAY from their dealership. Just doesn't seem like the way to sell cars.

Guess from their viewpoint, they feel like it's their "former customer" or worst-yet their competing Nissan dealership's "former customer" coming in an asking for a free gas fillup. In the long-run, it's a bit short-sighted to not support the EV movement, but nonetheless, they'll get certified if that's what it takes to make money selling the car. Providing the free juice to those in need is apparently not the policy point they agreed with.

DTB said:
Not sure why dealerships are having such a hard time seeing the benefit of building-up some goodwill by providing free charging. Since when is increasing foot traffic into your dealership a bad thing? The cost of electricity is negligible for a business already using as much power as they do. Don't they realize that at some point these people will be in the market for a new car? To me it's the equivalent of cheap advertising.

I'll venture a guess that it's an unscheduled service call which means there is something wrong with the car while there is nothing wrong with the car other than the battery needs recharging. I think if you brought in the car and said the air pressure is low you would probably get a similar reaction. But if you call in advance with warning, 'my tires are acting funny - maybe they need air' the reception will be different. ---- I know it's a weak example --- others want to try?

DTB said:

What non-business owners don't realize at times is that when you multiply this times many visitors you find that you are providing quite a bit of time tying up charge docks and inconveniencing service employees. I have already seen this several times when I visit a local dealer. It may seem trivial but the frequency can be high and the logistics become a burden on the business. I know people will disagree with this but many drivers will burden the dealership and they are not designed to be a public charging location. Why not just avoid dealers. Why do people need to do this anyway? I have been driving an EVs for over seven years and I have been fine without this. The general public has no idea what a time suck this can be on a business not to mention what a nightmare some EV drivers are, I know I talk to them all the time and they can really suck up your time:) I say that in the best of terms but they are not all created equal. I know that long time EV people know exactly what I mean and I know dealers already have a stack of stories to share at this point. If you have a friendly dealer then great, if you don't know the story and stop in then act like you are a guest. The entitled and rude will ruin it for the rest of us.

EVDRIVER said:
Why not just avoid dealers. Why do people need to do this anyway?
+1

I don't particularly like dealerships and having lived in Germany, I'm used to mediocre customer service and have low expectations when it comes to the hospitality of these establishments. If I have an alternate venue for charging, I will not go to a Nissan dealer. I was only tempted once when I drove by Dirito Brothers in Walnut Creek. However, I remembered another altercation that took place there and was described on the forum a while ago, and decided to press on instead. I was rewarded by a wonderful new Coulomb station smack in the middle of the business district, which was much better place to charge at anyway.

EVDRIVER said:
I know people will disagree with this but many drivers will burden the dealership and they are not designed to be a public charging location. Why not just avoid dealers. Why do people need to do this anyway? I have been driving an EVs for over seven years and I have been fine without this.
I've been driving an EV for over 4 months now and I thought I needed extra charge just one time. As it turned out I didn't really need it, but I wasn't yet comfortable with what the gauges meant in terms of actual miles on the road. And I'm happy to say that my dealer, Mossy Nissan, is one of the most friendly and accommodating dealers around.

So I conclude it is pretty much okay to have very little public charging infrastructure for today's EV drivers - all 0.003% of us. But I think Nissan was not content to win 0.003% of the car market, and so to shoot for 0.3% or even more of the market they set up their dealer network as a stopgap public charging infrastructure to make those tens of thousands of new EV drivers feel confident enough to ditch the gas tank. By summer of 2011 the EV Project will have installed 14,000 chargers and people will naturally prefer to charge at comfortable shopping venues than at car dealers. (What? You say summer 2011 has already passed? And now we have a grand total of 2 EV Project charging locations in San Diego?) Well, it looks like the dealers are going to have to fill the gap for a little while longer.

if you don't know the story and stop in then act like you are a guest. The entitled and rude will ruin it for the rest of us.
I wonder how many problem drivers there really are - people who would give up hours of their time to get $1 worth of free electricity. But I have no doubt that some dealers probably get way more than their share of problems due to locations that make them the only charging spot along strategic heavily traveled routes. And I'll bet that Santa Monica Nissan is a dealer that gets more than its share of problems. Months ago I thought Nissan should avoid such problems by setting nationwide rules and expectations for charging, with chargeback to dealers like for warranty work, financed by a modest price increase on all our cars.

If it really were a serious problem for many dealers though, they would become motivated enough to develop a charging policy and communicate it through signs, email, and forum postings. E.g., it's not unreasonable for drivers without an existing business relationship with the dealer to fill out a contact form and liability release; for service to have priority over customers; for reservations to have priority over drop-ins; for drivers to leave their keys in case the car has to be moved; to pay; etc. It would be better for the dealers collectively to set uniform policies nationwide so everyone could know what to expect. But at least any dealers who are having extraordinary troubles with laissez-faire charging could be expected to take some action to address their troubles. And for any dealers who do not want to have random drivers directed to them for charging by their NAV systems, Nissan should offer them an easy opt-out of the Carwings database.

We'll never know who was more at fault in this particular incident, nor is it our place to judge. I do not think this thread should be deleted as someone suggested. But I do think a much better title for the thread would be something like "Carwings lists chargers which are not public"

Back