Best choice for 120mi RT commute

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony I know (of) people here with the older rav4s, but they are enthusiasts, my friend is looking for something he can buy at a dealer and get support if needed without swimming upstream against a manufacturers intent.

For a pure BEV, considerably less than a Tesla, I'd recommend a Toyota RAV4 EV, with a very conservatively rated maximum (EPA) range of 112 miles. It is typically more - at least 120 miles - depending on how you drive it. Only sold in CA as a "compliance" car, and no more production after this model year, so there is only a few dozen left in dealers' inventory.

For a "hybrid", I'd recommend the EREV Chevy VOLT, which has a maximum electric (EPA) range of 38 miles; also very conservatively rated. I typically get close to 45 miles in my 2012 VOLT.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Tony I know (of) people here with the older rav4s, but they are enthusiasts, my friend is looking for something he can buy at a dealer and get support if needed without swimming upstream against a manufacturers intent.

Well, if the car never had any problems, it would not be a headache (like any car).

The absolute WORST possible outcome is a shipment back to California for warranty repairs. I don't know of anybody that has done that yet. Not a single one.

But, if he is the kind of guy that only the cheapest solution will work, I'll bet that the TOTAL cost to operate the RAV4 EV will still beat any oil burner on long commutes. And, you never have to wonder what the price of gas/diesel will be, or even stop off at those disgusting places.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Moving/job change isn't an option. No workplace charging, and when you're starting a new job you don't want to be making requests on day 1 :)

I haven't heard much about the ct200.
Well, assuming no SO HOV option, if it's got to be dino fuel then the straight Prius is the cheapest, if you can put up with it. Everything else is a question of how much reduced mileage your friend is willing to trade for better handling/performance/NVH. Alternatively, a diesel could be an answer, if this is a mostly freeway commute.

CT200H, the reviews I've read don't think it's worth the extra money. Your friend would pretty much need to sit down with a spreadsheet and do the calcs for his specific situation.

Edit: Finally found this article: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1087854_hybrid-payback-depends-on-the-model-new-study-shows" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the direct link to the report:

http://www.vincentric.com/Home/IndustryReports/HybridAnalysisOctober2014.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note that they reach a somewhat different conclusion re the payback on the CT 200H, although it's not a straight apples to apples comparison.

dsinned said:
For a pure BEV, considerably less than a Tesla, I'd recommend a Toyota RAV4 EV, with a very conservatively rated maximum (EPA) range of 112 miles. It is typically more - at least 120 miles - depending on how you drive it. Only sold in CA as a "compliance" car, and no more production after this model year, so there is only a few dozen left in dealers' inventory.

For a "hybrid", I'd recommend the EREV Chevy VOLT, which has a maximum electric (EPA) range of 38 miles; also very conservatively rated. I typically get close to 45 miles in my 2012 VOLT.
I wouldn't go for a Rav4 EV in Florida given all the complications w/out-of-state service and warranty work that were already touched upon. And, it doesn't seem like the Tesla bits are particularly reliable, as Tony and others can attest to. Assuming 5 days/week * 120 miles RT/day * say 50 weeks of work = 30K miles/year. I wouldn't be surprised if it needs a drive unit replacement due to noise before year 2 or some having some Tesla-supplied part fail after the mileage portion of the applicable warranty runs out.

For a "hybrid", the Volt's not a great choice IMHO for the OP's friend given the lack of workplace charging. It costs considerably more than a Prius or Camry Hybrid, "requires" premium and has a lower EPA combined mpg rating than either of them (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=35246&id=35556&id=35736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

The Prius does seem like the conventional wisdom choice. Accord hybrid looks interesting from the standpoint of comfort for that much driving, but uncertain track record there.

LTLFTcomposite said:
The Prius does seem like the conventional wisdom choice. Accord hybrid looks interesting from the standpoint of comfort for that much driving, but uncertain track record there.
Generally excellent reviews for the Accord hybrid, though, unlike the PHEV Accord, which falls into the "are you guys smoking the same stuff as the Cadillac ELR price-setting people" category?

Use this site:
http://gis.its.ucdavis.edu/evexplorer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The PIP was $2000 in energy costs per year for the 120mile round trip.
The Volt was $2500 in energy costs.
CMax same as Volt.
Civic (non hybrid) was $3200.
Tesla 60kWh was $1500

PIP for the win.

A used Tesla for $50K (used) in late 2015 when the Model X appears would be compelling.

At times my commute can be 120 miles. Unless you are looking at a Tesla or charging during the day, you would be best served by a Hybrid or a Plug in Hybrid (We have a Cmax Energi and so far so good!)

If you could level 2 charge at work, you would be fine.

If you could find a quick charger it would work, but you are looking at $7/day to charge...

With the no charge to charge for 2 years, it might be workable tho.

Don't rule out the leaf so fast. Have you looked at http://www.plugshare.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; lately? Maybe there is a charging station close to the workplace. I see you live in FL it might be feasible to throw a bicycle in the back, drive to the charging station, plug in, and ride in to work. That is if your friend is able to do that.

He is typical of 99.999% of the population who would not resort to the extreme measures of basing a major investment on finding a benevolent stranger near his workplace who would allow him to park and charge at their house every weekday and finish the commute on bicycle in a part of the world where bike paths are rare and thunderstorms are common.

Not to mention you can't really count on a LEAF to go 60 miles after the first year or so.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Accord hybrid was selected. Will be interesting to see how it goes, looks like near Prius mileage but a much nicer car.
Will be interesting to see if Honda miraculously got li-ion right after over a decade of not being able to get NiMH right. Hopefully before he/she pulled the trigger, you pointed them to the links at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=400349#p400349" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

LTLFTcomposite said:
He is typical of 99.999% of the population who would not resort to the extreme measures of basing a major investment on finding a benevolent stranger near his workplace who would allow him to park and charge at their house every weekday and finish the commute on bicycle in a part of the world where bike paths are rare and thunderstorms are common.

Not to mention you can't really count on a LEAF to go 60 miles after the first year or so.

On the 13 and 14 there doesn't seem to be evidence supporting your statement...

Not talking about a private residence. A commercial charging station. Would be good exercise. Not a lot of hills in fla. Plus, my leaf is over a year old, and I still can go 75 miles on a charge. even at near freezing temperatures with the heat on full.

Back