Being first - Texas - Battery has lost its top bar

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pipcecil said:
Dealership said nothing useful at all (I think it really has to do with they have no clue what to say).

It's just what I told you they would say. It isn't coming from the dealers/techs, it's coming from Nissan Corp. It's exactly the same answer everyone else gets when they show a loss of capacity, no matter if one or two bars.

I have noticed a range change, places where I used to be able to round trip I have to QC instead. And, when I go a one way, my distance is less than before.

As for the GOM, I can't tell. It seems a bit less, but when they applied the new software update, the GOM dropped the range miles too, so I don't know which to attribute. I will say, I am regulary getting 40 milesish when I hit half way, sometimes even in the high 30's (38, 39). I used to easily hit that half way in the high 40's and sometimes 50 or 51. My one way work trips (27 miles) usually cost me 4 bars in the summer, sometimes 5. I regularly use 5; i haven't seen a 4 bar trip since last summer.

Click to open

Just FYI - After reading this thread I've decided to start charging to 80%. I really have no excuse since my commute is so short. The main thing that always bothered me was that when I got home I wanted to plug my car in and have it charge right away. After all, I might need to go somewhere later, right?

Well, when I saw somebody mention the other day about the charge timer and being able to set it for a 24-hour window, I gave that a try. It works great. Every time I plug my car in it starts charging immediately. But it stops at 80%. This actually works out great. It is no extra trouble and my car is always charged when I need it. On the freak occasion I plan to drive further I'll disable the charge timer.

A while back I read about someone who's drive required them to charge to 100% capacity to work and 100% back. He lived near Seattle I believe. I would like to find out how his capacity is doing or if anyone else has done that.

marccbr said:
A while back I read about someone who's drive required them to charge to 100% capacity to work and 100% back. He lived near Seattle I believe. I would like to find out how his capacity is doing or if anyone else has done that.
I believe that you were referring to Steve Marsh, his battery was performing well last time he looked.

surfingslovak said:
marccbr said:
I believe that you were referring to Steve Marsh, his battery was performing well last time he looked.

Thats what makes me think that maybe some of the cars that are already experiencing a loss of a bar might be the usual problem cars you would find in a 1st gen vehicle.

marccbr said:
surfingslovak said:
marccbr said:

Thats what makes me think that maybe some of the cars that are already experiencing a loss of a bar might be the usual problem cars you would find in a 1st gen vehicle.
And Nissan cleverly figured out a way to deliver 95% of them to Phoenix. ;)

adric22 said:
On the freak occasion I plan to drive further I'll disable the charge timer.

Adric, you don't need to do that. If you need or want a 100% charge, just push the 'timer override' switch located in the center top row on the left. You can always keep your 24hr./80% timer settings.

LEAFfan said:
adric22 said:

Adric, you don't need to do that. If you need or want a 100% charge, just push the 'timer override' switch located in the center top row on the left. You can always keep your 24hr./80% timer settings.
Right, exactly. You could override the timer via CarWings by pressing the start charging button as well.

surfingslovak said:
LEAFfan said:
adric22 said:
Right, exactly. You could override the timer via CarWings by pressing the start charging button as well.
Either way, though, there is the remote chance of a power failure. When the power comes back on the car will only charge to 80%, unless you disabled the timer.

Ray

adric22 said:
... Well, when I saw somebody mention the other day about the charge timer and being able to set it for a 24-hour window, I gave that a try. It works great. Every time I plug my car in it starts charging immediately. But it stops at 80%. This actually works out great. It is no extra trouble and my car is always charged when I need it. On the freak occasion I plan to drive further I'll disable the charge timer.

Adric22, how do you do that? That's exactly what I want to do, charge whenever I want, but only up to 80%.

vrwl said:
adric22 said:
... Well, when I saw somebody mention the other day about the charge timer and being able to set it for a 24-hour window, I gave that a try. It works great. Every time I plug my car in it starts charging immediately. But it stops at 80%. This actually works out great. It is no extra trouble and my car is always charged when I need it. On the freak occasion I plan to drive further I'll disable the charge timer.

Adric22, how do you do that? That's exactly what I want to do, charge whenever I want, but only up to 80%.
You program your Leaf charging timer to charge to 80% only (it gives your 2 options: to 80% or 100%), and set the start time to 12am and end time to 12 am. Do it for all days (weekdays and weekend).

If you have a need to program in your peak/off-peak hours when charging at home, use the home EVSE's timer to do that and not the Leaf's timer (assuming that you have a timer on your home EVSE, like Blink has its own timer). But if you're out and about using public EVSE's, your Leaf time will always charge at any time, but only up to 80% because you told it to do that.

Now if you want to override the 80% and charge to 100%, simply push the charge timer override button on the left side of your front console before you plug in. Or start charging through CarWings remotely.

Back