battery warmer?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongrel

I have a 2015 Leaf, used, new to me, How can I tell if it has a battery warmer? I have read the battery guide, it tells me to keep the battery clean. My understanding is that the battery is mounted under the vehicle, bolted to the frame. The vehicle is too low to the ground to get under there, How do you clean the battery?
Temps are predicted to drop to 5 deg F in a couple days.

Actually the battery is above a cover (I believe) that you first need to remove. But don't bother. Where did you read that you need to keep the battery clean? Maybe you are reading about the 12V battery?

I would also like to know how to tell if the Leaf has a battery heater. But more importantly if you can hack it to manually turn it on.

Last edited:
Actually the battery is above a cover (I believe) that you first need to remove. But don't bother. Where did you read that you need to keep the battery clean? Maybe you are reading about the 12V battery?

I would also like to know how to tell if the Leaf has a battery heater. But more importantly if you can hack it to manually turn it on.
Nissan LEAF Battery Life Service and Care Guide
specifically this paragraph, I added two more to keep it in context.

Clean Your Battery Regularly​

Dirt and debris can collect on the battery surface, reducing its cooling efficiency and affecting its performance. Clean your battery regularly, ideally every three to six months, using a soft cloth and a mild detergent solution.

Keep Your Battery Charged​

Keeping your battery charged is essential to maintain its health and performance. Ideally, you should charge your battery before it drops below the recommended range of 20%. Be sure to use a proper charging station and follow the manufacturer's charging instructions.

Use the Right Charging Settings​

The Nissan LEAF Battery features two charging modes - Normal and Quick. Normal mode can charge your battery up to 80% in about 8 hours, while Quick mode can charge it up to 80% in 40 minutes. Use the right charging mode depending on your needs and avoid overusing the Quick mode as it can reduce the battery's lifespan.

I don't think these are official Nissan recommendations. You can't (easily) clean the high-voltage battery. I guess you could clean your 12V battery if you wanted to. I have never heard about Normal and Quick mode; I just plug it in.

I don't think these are official Nissan recommendations. You can't (easily) clean the high-voltage battery. I guess you could clean your 12V battery if you wanted to. I have never heard about Normal and Quick mode; I just plug it in.
Thanks, I don't see much opportunity for debris to collect around the 12v battery.

Pretty much every Leaf since the first couple of years (for example, mine did not have a battery heater) has an integrated battery warmer; no user intervention required.

You don't.
Thanks, I'll just keep it around 70% until this freeze passes.

Definitely not something from Nissan. It's from an east coast (NJ) small, private, outfit that claims residential and commercial expertise on a wide variety of green-energy technologies to benefit one's home and business.

Back