Battery switching stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark13

http://www.greencarreports.com/pictures/1062413_better-place-shows-off-europes-first-battery-switch-station_gallery-1#100227311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I saw on the bottom of my TV last night,Tesla to expand thier infrastucture at a cost of $700 million..Im guessing and could be wrong but they could be about to expand on a planned battery switching station..

It just seems very expensive to operate and insure that it is done correctly..If I had a warn out high miles battery pack I would certainly want to go there..If i had a new Tesla tho, I would not want my batteries changed out with older ones..

mark13 said:
http://www.greencarreports.com/pictures/1062413_better-place-shows-off-europes-first-battery-switch-station_gallery-1#100227311

I saw on the bottom of my TV last night,Tesla to expand thier infrastucture at a cost of $700 million..Im guessing and could be wrong but they could be about to expand on a planned battery switching station..

I think battery switching is a pipe dream. I tried to run the numbers once to see how much it would cost to run such a station. Factor in the cost of the battery swapping equipment, the building, the property, and several spare batteries. Then figure out what it would cost to run a battery swap station and make a profit. Try the numbers at 10 swaps per day, 100 swaps, 1,000 swaps, etc. Then ask yourself realistically, how much business such a station would actually get. I'd say even 10 swaps per day is really pushing it. They'd have to charge several hundred Dollars, maybe thousands, per swap in order to stay in business. Even with 100 swaps per day, the cost would still be $200 or $300. Nobody would pay that much. The business model is not sustainable.

Factor in the fact that most EVs don't (and won't) have swappable batteries, that puts the potential customer base even smaller.

Also need to factor in the possibility of people dropping off bad batteries to be swapped out for working batteries. How will that be dealt with?

Also consider that not all cars will use the same battery type. That means the battery swap companies would need to store extra batteries of each type.

The whole concept is just so terrible flawed. The only problem it solves is range, but it creates so many more problems it isn't worth it.

No it is a proprietary charging infrastructure...

mark13 said:
I saw on the bottom of my TV last night,Tesla to expand thier infrastucture at a cost of $700 million..Im guessing and could be wrong but they could be about to expand on a planned battery switching station.

adric22 said:
I think battery switching is a pipe dream. I tried to run the numbers once to see how much it would cost to run such a station. ... Also need to factor in the possibility of people dropping off bad batteries to be swapped out for working batteries. How will that be dealt with? ...
Most of these plans have the car owners leasing the batteries from the company, so those leasing dollars are part of the equation for creating a profitable enterprise. It also means the condition of the battery is not the car owner's responsibility.

Battery switching would be more practical with a local commercial delivery fleet.
The last thing I want to do is trade a gas station for a battery station.

smkettner said:
Battery switching would be more practical with a local commercial delivery fleet.
The last thing I want to do is trade a gas station for a battery station.
I don't think that battery switching will supplant home charging. If I only need to do a swap on days when I'm exceeding normal range, it looks OK.

mark13 said:
http://www.greencarreports.com/pictures/1062413_better-place-shows-off-europes-first-battery-switch-station_gallery-1#100227311

It just seems very expensive to operate and insure that it is done correctly..If I had a warn out high miles battery pack I would certainly want to go there..If i had a new Tesla tho, I would not want my batteries changed out with older ones..

Although Tesla has designed their upcoming Model S sedan to be capable of "pack swap" (pack "switch" seems to be a "Better Place" term), they haven't been talking much of swap stations for it. Rather they are talking about a network of 90kW Tesla compatible high speed DC charging stations starting with a "Mexico to Canada" route along the west coast. If they had them every 100 miles apart, you could top off your Model S in about 15 minutes each time you stopped.

I think Tesla views the infrastructure for entire pack swaps to be too big and too expensive compared to doing rapid charging.

TEG said:
Although Tesla has designed their upcoming Model S sedan to be capable of "pack swap" (pack "switch" seems to be a "Better Place" term), they haven't been talking much of swap stations for it. Rather they are talking about a network of 90kW Tesla compatible high speed DC charging stations starting with a "Mexico to Canada" route along the west coast. If they had them every 100 miles apart, you could top off your Model S in about 15 minutes each time you stopped.

I think Tesla views the infrastructure for entire pack swaps to be too big and too expensive compared to doing rapid charging.
Last I heard, Tesla was considering temporary rentals of larger battery packs to a customers who wanted to make longer trips. IIRC, the idea was that someone with a 160 mile model S who wanted to make a long trip would rent a 300 mile pack from the Tesla dealer. Then he/she could use the QC station network more efficiently. When the trip was done, the 300 mile pack would be returned to the dealer and the original 160 mile pack re-installed.

That plan is very different from the Better Place battery switching model and wouldn't require much additional infrastructure.

We shall see. I don't think they have been saying much more about swapping recently.
Also, the initial production Model S is now all 300 mile range packs, so there won't be any demand to rent an 'upgraded' pack... At least for now.

Looks like larger AC1 and AC2 pins, a much smaller ground, and two signal lines.

Are the signals compatible with the J1772 "Control Pilot" and "Proximity"?

If so, an adaptor to J1772 could be made "easily".

Hope this isn't a repost... Watching the video now.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1076134_better-place-electric-car-battery-swapping-live-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A woman's having the battery swapped on the Renault Fluence Z.E. that she's driving. The video's supposedly realtime.

Of course it won't make sense for 10 swaps a day. Will gas station be profitable with 10 fill ups?
I think it is fairly viable idea, if packs will be more or less standartized (we do have 3 types of gas plus diesel, plus all versions with Ethanol and without, and gas stations somehow adjusted), and the cost of battery swapping facility will be actually much less if you think about refineries, trucks and pipelines and other equipment to deliver a gallon of gas to your car...
It should be in the range of thousands of swaps per day to become profitable, and you'll just need few batteries that you would quick charge and cool, so if you have 30 min cycle and you serve 1 car in 5 min, that would be 12 cars per hour, assuming 50/50 load for 20 hours, you can have 120 cars served while having no more than 5 batteries. If you take the model that Israel is building, those stations are fully automatic, so you might just need one attendant running convenience shop that will bring money as well.
Gas stations are running on pennies off a gallon, and manage to survive, even thought environmental approval, storage and constant monitoring of pumps and fire suppression systems is not cheap either. I would say that 5 batteries would be even cheaper than one storage tank for regular gasoline..

BUT you are totally right. It is all about the scale. But if you don't start to make means of refueling, you won't have more cars... I find battery swap actually equally compelling to quick charge network, if not more...
With proper on-site active cooling you may quick charge the battery without side effect of affecting its life...

But I tend to agree that the ownership issue might be an issue in america... Who would want to buy an electric car without a battery, or exchange a brand new battery for an old one on the station... So the only choice should be a lease or rent, pretty much like shared bicycle programs...
That way batteries will be utilized more and physical age factor of the battery will not be a problem even if you don't drive much, and you won't have to give your arm and a leg for an expensive battery upfront, and, guess what, electric cars WILL BE MUCH CHEAPER than ICE... but the cost of filling it up on the road will be much more than cost of pure electricity (you can prorate 200K mi, for $20K battery, which will be $0.1/mi surcharge, pretty much giving us efficiency of a average hybrid car), but guess what, you can still fill it up at home for pennies...

adric22 said:
mark13 said:

I think battery switching is a pipe dream. I tried to run the numbers once to see how much it would cost to run such a station. Factor in the cost of the battery swapping equipment, the building, the property, and several spare batteries. Then figure out what it would cost to run a battery swap station and make a profit. Try the numbers at 10 swaps per day, 100 swaps, 1,000 swaps, etc. Then ask yourself realistically, how much business such a station would actually get. I'd say even 10 swaps per day is really pushing it. They'd have to charge several hundred Dollars, maybe thousands, per swap in order to stay in business. Even with 100 swaps per day, the cost would still be $200 or $300. Nobody would pay that much. The business model is not sustainable.

Factor in the fact that most EVs don't (and won't) have swappable batteries, that puts the potential customer base even smaller.

Also need to factor in the possibility of people dropping off bad batteries to be swapped out for working batteries. How will that be dealt with?

Also consider that not all cars will use the same battery type. That means the battery swap companies would need to store extra batteries of each type.

The whole concept is just so terrible flawed. The only problem it solves is range, but it creates so many more problems it isn't worth it.

I just don't see it ever becoming cost effective. The supply won't be enough. Consider maybe 10 battery swap stations in a metro area at a minimum, now you have to stock spare batteries of every type! Not just one, but multiple. I don't think there is enough extra batteries for the amount of car batteries out there. And when demand increases, you would need more. For something so expensive as a battery would you really want to have stock of that many batteries around the US? It seems wasteful and expensive to me. Maybe a station could get away with one spare (and be lucky to keep one always fully charged - highly unlikely, waiting for a spare battery to charge at a swap station defeats the purpose), but consider the amount of stations needed thats alot of batteries sitting on a shelf and not in cars. And with multiple thousands per pop...I just don't see the feasibility of it all.

Would Project Better Place have a chance in LA?.. No, gasoline is too cheap in the US. It becomes viable in Europe at $8 a gallon fuel.

Dont forget that the switch stations can also sell grid stabilization services to the local utility.. that is quite profitable.

What you folks forget is that the revenue stream isn't charging for the swap, it's profit from the battery lease payments of virtually every EV driver. THAT is a big chunk of change. Plus Better Place can put savings from tech improvements in their pocket as well, paying less and less for replacement batteries. The only problem with the idea is the same one every EV idea has...the chicken and egg one. It only works if you have a whole bunch of compatible EVs out there, and you'll only get the EVs out there if you have the battery swap stations in place.

davewill said:
The only problem with the idea is the same one every EV idea has...the chicken and egg one. It only works if you have a whole bunch of compatible EVs out there, and you'll only get the EVs out there if you have the battery swap stations in place.
I believe Better Place is trying to crack that egg by targeting fleet vehicles (eg taxis). You get X vehicles all in the same spot, owned by the same company, which makes it easy to be sure they all have the same battery and they're all compatible with your setup.
=Smidge=

Yes, the key is interoperability. If every car will be using different batteries, it will obviously won't work. But ICEs do not use different fuels for different cars, only 3 basic ones plus disel.
As of when demand increases, you actually DO NOT need more batteries... You just charge them more often...
You are replacing batteries, not selling them...
So if your line replaces the battery in 5 mins, and you can recharge in 30 min, you need max of 5-6 batteries, regardless of demand (assuming everyone will use the same type at the line), and again the key here is uniformity... maybe ideal would be standard 10kW modules, and different cars can use 1,2,3,... modules to get different capacities depending on car type, but all modules should be more or less standard (i.e. only 1 or at most few standards) for it to work, noone questions that.

Pipcecil said:
I just don't see it ever becoming cost effective. The supply won't be enough. Consider maybe 10 battery swap stations in a metro area at a minimum, now you have to stock spare batteries of every type! Not just one, but multiple. I don't think there is enough extra batteries for the amount of car batteries out there. And when demand increases, you would need more. For something so expensive as a battery would you really want to have stock of that many batteries around the US? It seems wasteful and expensive to me. Maybe a station could get away with one spare (and be lucky to keep one always fully charged - highly unlikely, waiting for a spare battery to charge at a swap station defeats the purpose), but consider the amount of stations needed thats alot of batteries sitting on a shelf and not in cars. And with multiple thousands per pop...I just don't see the feasibility of it all.

Smidge204 said:
I believe Better Place is trying to crack that egg by targeting fleet vehicles (eg taxis). You get X vehicles all in the same spot, owned by the same company, which makes it easy to be sure they all have the same battery and they're all compatible with your setup.
=Smidge=

Most cars ( 90% I think) in Israel are either fleet cars or company owned.. they can see the savings.

Latest posts

Back