Battery cost replacement?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smidge204 said:
mitch672 said:
I seem to remember seeing a "special" battery lift a long time ago, when one of the dealers was showing pictures of special equipment they received to work on the Leaf. It was a large flat surface with a hydraulic lift, from what I remember.
palletjack.jpg

Betcha I could get that battery out unscathed with one of these and some scrap lumber :lol:

=Smidge=

I'm sure any manor or "jury rigging" can be accomplished, the point is, why? Nissan dealers who are Leaf certified have the proper equipment, its not worth your time, and aggravation until there is no warranty left on the pack/car. You might need to drop it down 12" and shift it as well, not to mention you proably don't habe the proper diagnostic equipment/load simulator and PC equipment to read the BMS data to diagnose which cell is bad anyway, likely you will have to have the car on jack stands as well to do that. Again, not a worthwhile use of your time, energy and risking life/limb at this time.

mitch672 said:
I'm sure any manor or "jury rigging" can be accomplished, the point is, why?
Don't assume someone would want to pull the pack out of necessity... :D
=Smidge=

mitch672 said:
not to mention you proably don't habe the proper diagnostic equipment/load simulator and PC equipment to read the BMS data to diagnose which cell is bad anyway, likely you will have to have the car on jack stands as well to do that. Again, not a worthwhile use of your time, energy and risking life/limb at this time.
I don't exactly have blind faith that the dealer technition will get it right either.
As if everything the dealer touches comes out correctly.... NOT.

I cringe every time my vehicles go to the dealer as invariably something is done wrong, substandard or something else damaged.

N952JL said:
Stopping every 2 hrs on the interstate and spending 30 mins on a Fast DC charge would make the EV much more viable in the long run.

maybe for the AARP crowd

mitch672 said:
Smidge204 said:
mitch672 said:
I seem to remember seeing a "special" battery lift a long time ago, when one of the dealers was showing pictures of special equipment they received to work on the Leaf. It was a large flat surface with a hydraulic lift, from what I remember.
palletjack.jpg

Betcha I could get that battery out unscathed with one of these and some scrap lumber :lol:

=Smidge=

I'm sure any manor or "jury rigging" can be accomplished, the point is, why? Nissan dealers who are Leaf certified have the proper equipment, its not worth your time, and aggravation until there is no warranty left on the pack/car. You might need to drop it down 12" and shift it as well, not to mention you proably don't habe the proper diagnostic equipment/load simulator and PC equipment to read the BMS data to diagnose which cell is bad anyway, likely you will have to have the car on jack stands as well to do that. Again, not a worthwhile use of your time, energy and risking life/limb at this time.

I have dropped several EV packs. Not sure I would use that since the reach and list is not there, I have considered them before. I used a lift table I bought online. It may seem simple but most everything does at first.

EVDRIVER said:
I have dropped several EV packs. Not sure I would use that since the reach and list is not there, I have considered them before. I used a lift table I bought online. It may seem simple but most everything does at first.
Yeah, lift-table looks like the way to go. Looks like for a bit more than $300 you can get one with 1000lb capacity with wheels so you can roll it. (Search Amazon for "lift table" specifically TP05001A for example)

Most of the pallet jacks I've seen have very limited lifting range (6-8" max) which will probably make it difficult to drop the pack far enough to pull it out easily.

my #1 requirement for DIY projected. if its electric, its fuse protected. that saved my butt a few times on my Zenn. now that was DIY or die. (it mostly died)

drees said:
Most of the pallet jacks I've seen have very limited lifting range (6-8" max) which will probably make it difficult to drop the pack far enough to pull it out easily.

i think that is where the "scrap lumber" comes in. we had a few that might have lifted 12-14" but had double the lifting capacity needed for the battery pack. i would just add 2" by 4" and plywood to fit the job. we used pallets... after all, it is a pallet jack

My dealer stopped by yesterday, and he told me he was badgered by a customer demanding to know the answer to this question. So, he asked his tech who just came back from Nissan Leaf training, and he told him $5000. :shock: Sounds a bit low to me though, so I'm not sure how much faith to have in it. Maybe that's their cost? :?:

Apparently Chevy lists the cost of the Volt battery at $2994.64. My guess is the low cost is the net cost after trading in the old battery. I recall reading that GM had a patent for technology to rebuild the individual cells. Here's a link to the parts list:

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=2949468&ukey_assembly=394291" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The patent is can be read at:

http://www.google.com/patents/US20100124691" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There should not be any need to replace battery packs for quite some time. Nissan currently only sells modules. Much more likely to have an individual cell or module go bad than an entire pack. Much less expensive to replace also. Long term, when packs get near end of life, there will almost certainly be entirely new and improved packs available.

DarkStar said:
LKK said:
Apparently Chevy lists the cost of the Volt battery at $2994.64. My guess is the low cost is the net cost after trading in the old battery.
No, that is the cost of the battery case, no cells included.

A person posting on the Volt forum discovered this. He punctured his radiator and the coolant empted out and cooked his battery. Since the puncture was not a warranty item he had to foot the whole bill, but was somewhat pleasantly surprised to see that the total cost including the radiator repairs and a new battery was around $4K. The people on the Volt Forum were just as surprised as everyone else on the low cost of the battery. We all know a new battery costs much more, so how GM is able to charge so low for the battery is a mystery. As I said, I'm guessing they are taking the old battery in exchange and rebuilding them.

LKK said:
A person posting on the Volt forum discovered this. He punctured his radiator and the coolant empted out and cooked his battery.

if it is this thread:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?10234" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

then it does not really say thats what the battery costs, just a dealership trying to scam a customer for a GM warranty covered repair. Volts battery is probably $7000-$10000 OEM.. you would pay MUCH more plus installation. Neither GM nor Nissan will admit to the true cost because it would generate bad publicity.

Gee Herm I don't know what to tell you. The parts list does say Battery, Drive Motor Battery. I Googled the part number (20979876) and found the same thing at other sites. I know it sounds incredibly cheap, but there it is. If this is really correct, its a good thing as the Leaf's battery may not be as expensive as we think.

LKK said:
DarkStar said:
LKK said:
Apparently Chevy lists the cost of the Volt battery at $2994.64. My guess is the low cost is the net cost after trading in the old battery.
No, that is the cost of the battery case, no cells included.

A person posting on the Volt forum discovered this. He punctured his radiator and the coolant empted out and cooked his battery. Since the puncture was not a warranty item he had to foot the whole bill, but was somewhat pleasantly surprised to see that the total cost including the radiator repairs and a new battery was around $4K. The people on the Volt Forum were just as surprised as everyone else on the low cost of the battery. We all know a new battery costs much more, so how GM is able to charge so low for the battery is a mystery. As I said, I'm guessing they are taking the old battery in exchange and rebuilding them.

Gee, it's a good thing my LEAF doesn't have a liquid battery cooling system to "puncture" and fry my battery... One more issue I can erase from my "worry list"...
KISS = keep it simple stupid... :mrgreen:

It is really fortunate that the Leaf is not liquid cooled for several reasons, there is no risk of a cooling system failure frying the batteries and the liquid in the battery is the cause of the post accident fires. Nissan got it right!

Back