Are you sorry you bought a Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Googler said:
... I'm not really sorry I bought it, but I'm also not overwhelmed by it. The Prius seems like a much better car overall. On the other hand, the Leaf seems better than the Volt or the MiEV.

I had no real complaints about the ordering experience. I ordered very early and got mine six weeks ago.
So ultimately, your answer to the question is "no"?
Thanks for taking the time to provide more detail. Interesting comments, since you're a very satisfied Prius owner who's decided to switch to a LEAF.
From what I've read, many LEAF customers will come from that group so Nissan marketeers should also find your disappointment instructive. IIRC you posted that you really wanted the LEAF for the HOV access for which the Prius no longer qualifies. HOV lanes do make it difficult to travel below 65mph consistently. My extrapolation from the published Nissan range estimate:
Highway driving in the summer: 70 miles
Speed: Average 55 mph
Temperature: 95 degrees
Climate control: On
would never make me comfortable with requiring 75 mi range at 65mph when factors like rain, hot days and battery degradation are considered.
Did the EVSE install also sour the experience? I think many of the Prius defectors may run into that as well.
I recall you posting some time ago about canceling your order and getting a CNG Honda. Curious about what happened there.
...For people who are EV fanboys the answer would obviously be no and that is to be expected. For them the only thing that matters is that it's electric.
Gee, we become what we resist, no? IMO there's quite a few EV "enthusiasts" on this forum who've had many criticisms of both Nissan and the LEAF. I don't think having such passion nullifies the value of their comments.

Googler said:
...Newcomers to the forum may have a hard time recognizing the lack of objectivity among some members.
Caution; objectivity of this poster's statements less recognizable than it appears

Ready2plugin said:
He can recharge at work....showed pictures of a dozen or so L2's installed at Google. Also, the length of commute I believe is not a factor...he just does not like the range of the car, even though it is not a factor for him.
That can't be right! He regrets the purchase because the range is a bit less than expected, even though it doesn't make a difference for him personally? That doesn't make any sense.

Stoaty said:
Ready2plugin said:
He can recharge at work....showed pictures of a dozen or so L2's installed at Google. Also, the length of commute I believe is not a factor...he just does not like the range of the car, even though it is not a factor for him.
That can't be right! He regrets the purchase because the range is a bit less than expected, even though it doesn't make a difference for him personally? That doesn't make any sense.

It is, you just can't please everyone. I don't want to speak for him, but my take on the situation is that even though there is no problem making his commute and charging at work, he is just not pleased with the overall range of the car vs. his expectations.

ERG4ALL said:
If the speed limit on your run is like 75 mph, then I can see your reluctance to go 60 mph and the LEAF just may have been a bad choice and your needs may be close to what the LEAF can provide but as the saying goes, "Close, but no cigar" ;)
I drive in a single carpool lane. The speed is pretty much set by the speed of traffic unless you choose to obstruct traffic. The lane next to me typically moves at 0-40mph.

Googler's comments, while have all valid points about Leaf, that doesn't mean that other cars are perfect, including his favorite Prius. I've purchased more expensive cars that I was less satisfied with and Leaf really only has minor issues in comparison.

Googler now we have details and most of your complaints have been echoed here before and several I agree with.

Your math on the range is suspect though.

I don't know what range u r referring to but let me talk about what I do know. Your Prius u get 50 mpg which is essentially epa. The Leaf epa is 73 miles so guessing your commute is less than this. So the only question is expected degradation of range. In your situation I would not go beyond 60 miles in anticipation of that range.

The other thing I would do is slow down to 60 mph which I actually did in my Prius years ago. I get 55 mpg. This should transslate to a long term 66 mile range.

Googler said:
I drive in a single carpool lane. The speed is pretty much set by the speed of traffic unless you choose to obstruct traffic. The lane next to me typically moves at 0-40mph.

If the speed of traffic is exceeding the speed limit, you don't have to follow. There is no 'obstruction/impeding' of traffic (legally) IF you are going the posted limit. HOV lanes are for reducing pollution;they aren't speed lanes.

With our "slow" drivers on 405 I find it hard to drive at 60 mph during off peak hours without having people to pass me, but in bay area going at the speed limit is probably dangerous.

IBELEAF said:
With our "slow" drivers on 405 I find it hard to drive at 60 mph during off peak hours without having people to pass me, but in bay area going at the speed limit is probably dangerous.

I drive fast in the bay area but rarely to 65-70 in my LEAF with no issues so far but that has more to do with times. Googler nailed almost every issue I have with the LEAF.

EVDRIVER said:
I drive fast in the bay area but rarely to 65-70 in my LEAF with no issues so far but that has more to do with times. Googler nailed almost every issue I have with the LEAF.

Yeah, I won't exceed 70mph either. If they want to go faster and I don't feel like getting out of the HOV lane (which is happening increasingly)....just too f**in' bad!

mwalsh said:
EVDRIVER said:

Yeah, I won't exceed 70mph either. If they want to go faster and I don't feel like getting out of the HOV lane (which is happening increasingly)....just too f**in' bad!

Correct, you would think with such high gas prices, people would slow down a little, especially some driving big bulky V8 SUVs.

pksd1 said:
Correct, you would think with such high gas prices, people would slow down a little, especially some driving big bulky V8 SUVs.

Slow down...? I don't think public is aware of that, as a matter of fact they are probably thinking "the faster you go the less fuel you use..." and that might be because EPA sticker for HWY mileage was always about 20-30% higher.

I wish I'll be able to drive at the same speed Goggler gets in his commute to MV when I get my white HOV sticker.
I'll happily drain the car each day for a 20 minute commute.
The reality I'm used to, however, is that on 101 (during my commute hours) I'm lucky if I can drive @ 65 for a couple of minutes.

Googler said:

Googler said:
I can't say I regret it completely, but there is also no way I would recommend it to a friend. I think it's accurate to say that I'm completely underwhelmed by it because I have a freeway commute that I was intending to use it for. The range on the freeway is pretty abysmal - about 70 miles under optimal conditions at the speed limit.
If you were expecting a much higher range, then you would not be happy. And it is right not to recommend it to a friend who has similar expectations.

But, I recommend it to everyone who have reasonable commutes (which is almost everyone here in the Seattle area). I tell everyone I talk to that "nominal" range is 100 - but think of it as 70 miles if using freeways.

I have no doubt that people with longer commutes will have to do something about that within a few years.

Googler said:
The range on the freeway is pretty abysmal - about 70 miles under optimal conditions at the speed limit.
I bought a car a few years ago that was rated 21/27 mpg, but all I was getting on average 18-20 mpg. Was I not happy, yes, did I complain about it... not really because I know I was driving beyond the efficiency levels and the car did not have any indicators to tell me about my driving. With Leaf I started with a heavy foot as well, but with so many things constantly in my face telling me how efficient my driving is I started to change my behavior and noticed the range increase very quickly even on a freeway. In the end, YMMV.

i think it should be somewhat expected that we as early adopters will have to make concessions. the charging infrastructure for most is non-existent. that will change. plugging in at work i hope will become the norm instead of the exception it is now. we are the guinea pigs, the bleeding edge, etc but we are also first. Carwings was all designed to basically collect analyze and implement changes for the next model. i knew that. this thing about comparing stats with the world is a thinly disguised ruse to monitor us like lab rats.

but i also have to think about what i would have done, put up with or ignored to drive electric.... and that quite frankly is a lot.

some history; i drove an NEV for 3+ years. it had a range of 20 miles (on a good day) only did 35 mph including only 27 mph up this slight grade i had to ascend on my way to work.

it was a constant battle to make sure it would give me the range to do what i needed it to do. that meant arranging my schedule in order to use the various 120 charging spots scattered around town.

so, i was used to compromise. so when i got my Leaf, it was not perfect. there are things i wish were better, but there is so little to compromise on this car that its like luxury compared to what i had!

sure it sucks to have to shift twice to get to eco. the heater takes forever to warm up and cools off instantly when turned off. i could go on and on, but as far as range. i knew i be lucky to get 70 miles now during winter drives and less later. but i already decided that 50 miles would be great and everything beyond that would be gravy. so far, this car has provided me a lot of gravy

drees said:
Googler said:
There was no range estimate given that matched my typical driving habits (65mph, flat, no climate control). I was expecting to get about 85 miles based on extrapolation from the given estimates. In reality it's closer to 70-75 miles in eco mode.
So - you get turtle mode after 75 miles of 65 mph on the highway on flat land in decent weather? That doesn't match other people's experience which does seem to be about 85 miles from full to empty - perhaps you've got something wrong with your LEAF.
People drive to turtle mode when they like to carry cab fare for their trip home, in order to make some kind of social statement. I bought it as a car rather than a fashion statement.

Googler said:
I think it's accurate to say that I'm completely underwhelmed by it because I have a freeway commute that I was intending to use it for.
You still haven't answered whether you can charge at work, which another poster said you could do. A lot of your minor criticisms are valid, but I am still unable to figure out why the Leaf won't work for your commute.

It's very interesting you like your 2005 Prius so much, I pretty much hate my wife's 2005. I'm very happy with my Leaf, I'm really glad Nissan built this car. I've never owned a Lexus or BMW, etc and have never had a leather interior so the build quality seems quite normal and completely acceptable to me.

Back