Arduino AT90CAN128 Project

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
uh Dave,...no phone involved,both soc meters plug directly into (obd iii if memory serves) port under dash to access vehicle computer bus ....your phone would not be affected..kpc

Thinwing said:
uh Dave,...no phone involved,both soc meters plug directly into (obd iii if memory serves) port under dash to access vehicle computer bus ....your phone would not be affected..kpc
Packet was discussing having the board be bluetooth enabled and using her phone for display.

Something like this...?

A phone app would be okay, but it would be awesome is there was an EVSE with bluetooth... The EVSE could display battery info (SOC, voltage, current, Kwh, ETC) and could stop charge say at 9 bars or 93.9% or whatever you want...?

How would the bluetooth-EVSE stop the charging (gently)?

1. Abruptly opening the Power Relay(s) is not "gentle".

2. Perhaps by reducing the Pilot to 4% (an error condition)?

3. What is done with a Ground Fault?
Open the Relay, I expect, but that is rough on the Relay contacts for "normal" operation.

Hi Gary,

It is not too dificult... The EVSE turns off the pilot putting the EVSE in State A, EVSE would give the EV the maximum 3 seconds to respond, allowing the EV to remove the current. Then the relay is opened. Referance: J1772 2010, Page 19, Transition - 7

Ground Fault is different, you want power disconnected quickly so the pilot goes to an error state and the relay is disconnected at the same time. It is not easy on the relays...

chris1howell said:
Hi Gary,

It is not too dificult... The EVSE turns off the pilot putting the EVSE in State A, EVSE would give the EV the maximum 3 seconds to respond, allowing the EV to remove the current. Then the relay is opened. Referance: J1772 2010, Page 19, Transition - 7

Ground Fault is different, you want power disconnected quickly so the pilot goes to an error state and the relay is disconnected at the same time. It is not easy on the relays...

Yes, this is one of the reasons I started designing a SOC meter to begin with. I find the onboard timers to be a pain in the butt to use, and don't like being limited to 80%. There are lots of times when I want 90%. We could trigger it by raw SOC, number of charge bars, etc.

Where is everyone getting AT90CAN128 boards these days? It looks like both boards on sparkfun are discontinued now...

I'd really like to build one of these Arduino based SOC meters...

garygid said:
AT90CAN128 boards from Mouser, but one does not normally
use the AT90CAN128 development board with the Arduino.

Yes, the board I used is here on Mouser: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Olimex-Ltd/AVR-H128-CAN/?qs=hO3QYTFrOd06bAlxO0kDs7XFxAdQ/HmJ

$11 more than Sparkfun's price when they carried it.

It's easy to use the AT90CAN128 with Arduino. Just follow the instructions on my blog:
http://blog.lincomatic.com/?p=398
The only caveat is you need to use Arduino 0023 or older.

They are also on Ebay direct from the mfg in England. I think it was about $40 including shipping. That is where I got mine.

I like the development boards better. They are about $6 on Ebay plus the chip from Digikey for around $12 or on Ebay for around $20 shipped. The only problem is mounting the surface mount chip since the boards are bare. It is a real learning experience.

The more fully-featured Development Board is sometimes helpful,
and costs only a little more:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Olimex-Ltd/AVR-CAN/?qs=hO3QYTFrOd0lnJ4HSuh1L976e0l3x%252baEk9MRJitX7Pc%3d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The choice depends heavily upon what you are trying to accomplish.
For the SOC-Meter, this AVR-CAN Development board "fit right in".

Back