Aptera goes belly up

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its sad, but from the posts on the Aptera blog, maybe the 2E can rise from the ashes. There is always hope. I would make a great kit car. If I built it myself I would not worry so much about service.. and since I'll never live in CA, it would be my only hope to own one.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/07/aptera-employees-smash-vehicles-after-company-closes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Videos are still up...

JohnOver said:
cwerdna said:
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/07/aptera-employees-smash-vehicles-after-company-closes/

Videos are still up...

Unbelievable! They show how tough the shells are though...
Yeah, don't believe it. Here's Aptera's response sent to all email list subscribers:
Aptera Motors said:
Greetings!

There have been several recent videos posted on YouTube showing the demolition of a small number of untrimmed Aptera vehicle bodies. The videos were taken approximately eight months ago at Aptera's Oceanside facility, which the company officially exited in May 2011. However, the posters of these videos have tried to portray these clips as an angered response from Aptera employees at the recent closure of the company. These claims are completely false.

The bodies in question were not slated for demolition because on any ill will or malice from any member of the company present or past. These particular 2e's were defective and/or obsolete development properties that no longer had any value to the company. We destroyed the bodies because they were unsafe for use as a vehicle -- with high potential for loss of life if they were involved in a crash. (This is evidenced by the upper body and lower skins separating from each other on impact.)

While the company often engages in technology sharing with academic institutions (area elementary, middle and high schools, universities and museums, we never released vehicle assets that had the potential of being misused and resulting in physical harm or loss of life.

Contrary to the stories that have been written recently, there was no destruction of company property during the closure of Aptera. It is appalling how low journalism in the internet age has sunk in pursuit of sensationalism. In fact, our employees exited the building honorably and professionally. The accusations that have been made to the contrary are insulting and demonstrate the kind of uninformed defamation that diminishes the all of Aptera's efforts and undermines the work of everybody committed to perpetuating clean transportation.

Finally, there are currently seven prototypes of the Aptera 2e concept inside our former headquarters in Carlsbad, Calif. These prototypes reflect every generation of Aptera vehicle body ever created, from the very first tested concept vehicle (built by the founders) to the most recent prototype that was campaigned at the Automotive XPRIZE. An eighth prototype resides at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. Incidentally, none of these vehicles have been damaged in anyway.

Two of my friends and I received our deposits back many, many months ago, thankfully.

I got mine back within a few weeks after placing my deposit on the LEAF ;)

Weird part: I had cancelled my original credit card due to theft. But fortunately, the deposit was with the same credit card company so it was only a couple extra weeks to work out the issue.

I tried for this car Maybe two years ago when it first came out but could not get on the list due to tne Ca only.
It is a real shame as I followed their progress and thought they would have made it Jay Leno got one but how many more were actualty delivered?

nice interview with Steve F. on Transport Evolved:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZRxvU2hzL0&feature=g-u" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I spoke to the liquidation company official by email Saturday. Another company will be selling off the actual 7 vehicles that are left at Aptera headquarters.

Problem: Whomever wants a vehicle has to buy the patents too :eek:

gasmiser1 said:
I spoke to the liquidation company official by email Saturday. Another company will be selling off the actual 7 vehicles that are left at Aptera headquarters.

Problem: Whomever wants a vehicle has to buy the patents too :eek:

I have my fingers crossed that Chris is looking at it very seriously. He has taken the electric vehicle concept and applied it to other vehicles (boats and ATVs). I think his company, Epic, could pull this off.

Apteraforum now goes belly up. I liked visiting this forum once in a while to read and participate in the various alternative vehicle discussions. It has been down for the past week, so I suspect that it is not coming back from the dead unlike Aptera who just never seems to die even though it never seems to go anywhere under the chinese owners.

palmermd said:
Apteraforum now goes belly up. I liked visiting this forum once in a while to read and participate in the various alternative vehicle discussions. It has been down for the past week, so I suspect that it is not coming back from the dead unlike Aptera who just never seems to die even though it never seems to go anywhere under the chinese owners.
Agreed. Aptera, although largely fiction as a product, made me think about owning an EV back in 2008 when I could only dream of a Roadster. I think Fambro and Anthony had some good juju for awhile and the ApteraForum was a great place to learn about EVs. I loved the Aptera concept; efficiency and simplicity. The Greek tragedy that overtook Aptera with Paul Wilbur and company was sad but instructive about how important leadership and vision are to success with risky ventures.

Back