Aptera goes belly up

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yanquetino

December 2, 2011

After years of focused effort to bring our products to the market, Aptera Motors is closing its doors, effective today. This is a difficult time for everyone connected with our company because we have never been closer to realizing our vision. Unfortunately, though, we are out of resources.

It is especially disappointing since we were so close…

Aptera executives had been engaged in exhaustive due diligence with the Department of Energy (DOE) pertaining to an ATVM (Advance Technology Vehicle Manufacturing) loan. Our business plan was examined from top to bottom by internal agency representatives, independent consultants and experts in academia. They did an amazing job of vetting us and they tested every possible weakness in our plan. And after nearly two years of discussions, we had recently received a Conditional Commitment Letter for a $150 million loan.

The ATVM loan would have provided funding for the development and commercialization of a five-passenger, midsized sedan (similar to a Toyota Camry) that would be base priced at less than $30,000 and deliver more than a 190 mile per gallon equivalent. The concept of this vehicle had been in place since the very beginning of Aptera, and we had been wholly focused on its development for the last year. The last remaining hurdle was finding new funds to match the DOE loan.

We were so optimistic that the company would move forward that we were in discussions to reactivate a mothballed automotive plant in Moraine, Ohio. In the past months we had engaged with the labor union that operated that facility to discuss the hiring of 1,400 new job opportunities. These jobs would have reactivated talented workers who had been dismissed when the facility was closed.

During the same time, we continued development of our patent-pending composite manufacturing system that enables energy efficient vehicle production by drastically reducing vehicle weight (by as much as 30%) while tripling its strength. This same patent pending system allowed us to finish the surface of our composites without manual finishing and without the high capital cost of a typical automotive paint shop. In all, the process would save nearly $750-million versus a typical volume auto assembly plant start-up.

We were well on the way to satisfying the vision of efficiency on which the company was founded and we are confident that with time and capital we could still achieve our goal. The Aptera formula: aerodynamics plus light weight design (through composites) delivered efficiency of 206 EPA miles per gallon in tests at Argonne National Labs. That wasn’t a simulation; it was real measured performance. Despite that promise of efficiency, this challenged market – specifically large private investors – did not have an appetite to lead an investment for the perceived low volume return of our three-wheeled vehicle. So we reprioritized our product plan to four-door sedans, which also cost us time.

We remain confident, even as this chapter closes, that Aptera has contributed tech new technologies to build a future for more efficient driving. Through the dedicated staff at Aptera, our board and suppliers we have touched this future. All that remains is for someone to grab it. We still believe it will happen.

Paul Wilbur
President and CEO
Aptera Motors

Contact: Pacific Communications Group – Jeff Green (310) 224-4961 ([email protected])

Well, I can't say I'm surprised. I actually didn't know anything about the sedan they were planing. But I know many people had given up waiting on their Aptera.

I'm still curious if Myers Motors will suffer the same fate before the Duo ever starts making deliveries.

I was reservation #1434. As soon as the LEAF deposits were accepted, I put down a deposit on the LEAF. And, promptly cancelled my deposit on the Aptera. After founder Steve Fambro was ousted, so began the demise of the company.

I blame Paul Wilber (former Chrysler exec), who was in charge of Aptera as the cause of this disaster. He is a cancer.

What a waste of a great EV concept :x

I actually waited until Nissan shipped their first non-lease car before I canceled my reservation (#591). That is when they died. I'm surprised it took so long for them to realize it. Also disappointed. I actually *liked* their Beluga Whale design.

gasmiser1 said:
I blame Paul Wilber (former Chrysler exec), who was in charge of Aptera as the cause of this disaster. He is a cancer.
I've never understood why someone with money at stake would make that change. Strange.

I knew their mission was difficult, but hoped they would suceed. Unfortunately that didn't happen. Sorry to see what's happening to them.

Paul Wilbur and Marcus M = incompetent leeches. They are the primary reason this company failed and the board of directors allowed him to do it. This is one of the saddest examples of the destruction of an efficient EV. Those that have been closely following this know about all the lies, deception, gross incompetence, and pathetic management skills of the team B clowns. I can't wait to see the next company in their path of destruction that is foolish enough to buy their BS. This is a compliment to their efforts, if you could call it that. The details of this company are so crazy it is almost a borderline conspiracy.

May be there is some life left .... anyone who gets the prototypes etc, can restart.

http://apteraforum.com/showpost.php?p=60638&postcount=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

evnow said:
gasmiser1 said:
I've never understood why someone with money at stake would make that change. Strange.
Simple: Money does not equal smarts.
That said, I'm grateful to Steve Fambro and Chris Anthony for starting Aptera in 2007. I was an early reserver; #303, IIRC.
I liked the original design concept, sat in the prototypes with my kids, but never got to ride/drive one. It piqued my appetite for an all-electric ride and gave me the impetus to buy my first EV (Ford Ranger) while I waited. I jumped on the ApteraForum and learned a lot (I know there's quite a few of us ApteraForum to MNL emigrés). Nissan showed up looking like the real deal; I sold the Ranger EV but committed myself to the idea of electric transportation. I can say with certainty, if it wasn't for Aptera, I wouldn't be enjoying the LEAF today. Sorry to see them go and sorry such a beautiful concept got so thrashed by bad leadership and vapid boardroom values. It was fun for awhile there.

I had an Aptera reservation for...oh...the 45 or so seconds the website took to realize I wasn't in California. ;)

So long Team B. No - keep walking. We'll tell you when to stop. :lol:

Bring on Team A Part Deux - this car needs to be on the road!

The cost of developing a start-up car company of any type, electric or otherwise, is astronomical. There is no way any of them can compete against the advantages of a large pre-existing manufacturer. With so many mainline companies planning e-vehicles there is no room for these companies in the market. I don't see CODA or Tesla surviving without at the very least a merger with a larger company. The one exception might be a Chinese built car where start ups are much less costly, but even there the bigger companies like BYD are much more likely to survive than the tiny company that builds 10 year old Mitsubishi rolling chassis for CODA.

I think these companies were effectively killed off by the Leaf. How can they compete against Honda (efit), BMW (i3 and i8), Ford (efocus and etransit connect), GM (eSpark) and sooner or later we will see the eFiat 500 and a serious offering by Toyota, VW and Mercedes.

For those not close to the situation or the employees there is nothing short of a good documentary here or at least a story about how to f**ck up a really good company and product. The chief marketing officer (if there is such a thing) can't spell even with a spell checker, the CFO conducted one of the biggest accounting frauds since Enron (really) and the CEO is a control freak with the people skills of Tony Soprano. Make no mistake, Aptera was on the fast track with money in the bank (team "A") until PW and his buddies came into play. Don't blame the failure of this company on anything short of utter incompetence and greed by a fraternity of fools. If team "B" never emerged I believe Aptera could have succeeded and possibly redefined or reshaped the direction of the modern automobile in many ways.

AndyH said:
I had an Aptera reservation for...oh...the 45 or so seconds the website took to realize I wasn't in California. ;)

So long Team B. No - keep walking. We'll tell you when to stop. :lol:

Bring on Team A Part Deux - this car needs to be on the road!
I didn't let that stop me. :) Still managed to secure reservation #591 despite not being a resident. Was planning to switch residency to CA for a month for the pickup (and live with the tax consequences), etc. Luckily/unluckily, they kept slipping schedule year to year so I never had to put my questionably legal plan into action. :)

Somehow RV and boat manufacturers manage to get products out on a smaller scale. I know there are differences, but there are also a lot of similarities.

Maybe someone can take over the assets and make a less ambitious business model work for getting these cars out, even if its just for hobbyists or in kit form.

On the flip side maybe it's better the major manufacturers got mainstream products out ahead of Aptera. I'm not convinced their unconventional design was a positive for EV adoption. For Aptera to have been the iconic EV would have resulted in endless lampooning. On the other hand, five or ten years from now when EVs have a significant market share, a product that comes out with a super-aero-composite design that doubles the range could get some real traction in the market. Sometimes you have to think about moving the masses in small steps.

sparky said:
evnow said:
gasmiser1 said:
Simple: Money does not equal smarts.
That said, I'm grateful to Steve Fambro and Chris Anthony for starting Aptera in 2007. I was an early reserver; #303, IIRC.
I liked the original design concept, sat in the prototypes with my kids, but never got to ride/drive one. It piqued my appetite for an all-electric ride and gave me the impetus to buy my first EV (Ford Ranger) while I waited. I jumped on the ApteraForum and learned a lot (I know there's quite a few of us ApteraForum to MNL emigrés). Nissan showed up looking like the real deal; I sold the Ranger EV but committed myself to the idea of electric transportation. I can say with certainty, if it wasn't for Aptera, I wouldn't be enjoying the LEAF today. Sorry to see them go and sorry such a beautiful concept got so thrashed by bad leadership and vapid boardroom values. It was fun for awhile there.

+1

evnow said:
May be there is some life left .... anyone who gets the prototypes etc, can restart.

http://apteraforum.com/showpost.php?p=60638&postcount=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It gives me hope that Steve Fambro is saying this: "To lower an enemy's guard you must act in the open and hide your true intentions under the guise of common every day activities". Go Steve, GO!

I would buy an Aptera in an instant! ESPECIALLY one from the company that Steve (& Chris?) were running.

Back