Anyone get their CA HOV stickers?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got my HOV stickers 63 days after getting the car, and 33 days after mailing the application. My wife is overjoyed to stop driving the Leaf and get ahold of my 2005 Prius. I'll now be driving the Leaf on my commute.

Just got a call from DMV. They can't issue stickers because my registration is on "hold" because the dealer hasn't paid all the fees. Just left voice mail and emailed the dealer. Anyone else having problems?

Update: Dealer didn't file paperwork until 5/10.

2nd Update: DMV called back and said they will hold my paperwork until the registration issue is cleared. The office issuing the HOV ZEV stickers has been very responsive. They could have just rejected my application. Hmmm.... someone at the DMV actually cares.... maybe the world is ending on Saturday?

2011-03-28: LEAF Delivered
2011-03-29: 1st Sticker application mailed (returned as dealer had not yet registered VIN and there was a VIN snafu for a large batch of LEAFs)
2011-04-07: Dealer submitted registration to DMV
2011-04-20: Application mailed for 2nd attempt (Note, License Number not known, only VIN supplied)
2011-04-26: License tags generated in DMV system
2011-05-04: Plates arrived
2011-05-13: Sticker check cashed by DMV
2011-05-16: Stickers arrived

So basically 45 days, give or take. A little fat in the front with the dealer a little slow to get the registration in (depends on when dealer sends batches and whether dealer submits by paper [mine did] or electronically [which may expedite])

Lessons:
  • ask (or even pay) your dealer to get the application in electronically ASAP
  • mail your application with the VIN filled in and "Registration Info in DMV System" in the License Plate field
  • add a cover letter telling them not to return the application
  • Perform a rain dance :)

Cheers
Kuyper

Yeah I got that call on Friday from a DMV consultant... Dealer hasn't paid the DMV fees. Apparently the dealer told me they are waiting for Nissan finance to pay for the lease before they pay the fees. The took my trade in and registered it I bet....Dealer said Monday it should go through. BTW I sent mine in the day I bought it without plate numbers on the app.

5/18 HOV check cashed (mailed on 4/22)
5/21 end of the world averted
5/22 still waiting for sticker

my dealer was a dream. the DMV clerk at the dealership sent my stuff in via overnight and heard back from REG that about $3 of fees were unpaid. she used the dealer credit to pay that got her my license plate number, emailed it to me and I sent in the HOV and EV Parking forms that day.

You can also call DMV and ask for the license number, if your dealer is not as wonderful as Gardena Nissan.

I do not yet have the stickers. I expect them this week--crosses fingers, kisses to the sky and the goddess.

I still dont get why dealer cant file the HOV app (reg 1000) at the same time as the rest of the car paperwork.

so it is three weeks since purchase and I am hoping for the stickers next week.

This is the only even slightly negative experience I've had with Fontana Nissan. They kind of dropped the ball on my registration - and I didn't find out about it until well after the fact - which pushed my HOV and EV stickers out far further than should have normally been the case...

thankyouOB said:
my dealer was a dream. the DMV clerk at the dealership sent my stuff in via overnight and heard back from REG that about $3 of fees were unpaid. she used the dealer credit to pay that got my license plate number, emailed it to me and I sent in the HOV and EV Parking forms that day.

You can also call DMV and ask for the license number, if your dealer is not as wonderful as Gardena Nissan.

I do not yet have the stickers. I expect them this week--crosses fingers, kisses to the sky and the goddess.

I still dont get why you cant file the HOV app (reg 1000) at the same time as the rest of the car paperwork.

so it is three weeks since purchase and I am hoping for the stickers next week.

I found kuyper's format to be the most useful, so I will borrow it:

2011-05-08: LEAF Delivered/Purchased
2011-05-17: Mailed application for California rebate
2011-05-19: Received registration in mail with License Plate information
2011-05-20: Mailed HOV sticker application
2011-05-20: Mailed EV Parking application (separate envelope)
2011-05-23: Plates Arrive
2011-06-01: Checks for HOV and Parking Cashed
TBD: CA Rebate check arrives
2011-06-03: HOV stickers arrive
2011-06-03: EV Parking sticker arrive (same envelope as HOV stickers)

I'm pretty surprised at the fast turnaround from the California DMV. That was impressive. My thanks!

03/30/11 - Leaf Purchased
04/02/11 - CA DMV Personalized Plates Ordered
04/04/11 - CA CCSE Rebated Filed
04/11/11 - CA CCSE Rebated Check Received via USPS
04/11/11 - CA DMV Paperwork mailed off (Carpool & Parking Sticker, one envelope, VIN only)
05/04/11 - CA Plates Received
05/20/11 - DMV Check chased (Carpool & Parking Sticker - license plate # written on back of cancelled check)
05/26/11 - Carpool & Parking Sticker Received!!! (same envelope)
tbd - Personalized Plates Received

DMV told me today that my HOV paperwork was processed on 5/13, the check cleared on 5/18 but I'm still commuting on the non-HOV lane.
If I don't receive the stickers (which I haven't as of 5/26), I was told by the DMV that I need to wait until 6/17 before they would process a replacement form :evil:

Update of prior posts (new info in bold italics) ...

•picked up Leaf 4/21 - PD says it is best to wait for plates
•5/7 - after reading various posts in this thread, decide to mail in forms anyway
•5/9 - while plates have not arrived, pink slip with license plate number does (just "the way o' the world")
•5/11 - license plates in today's mail
•future update for arrival of EV parking decal (estimate of June 10, or so)
•future update for arrival of HOV stickers (5/23 check cashed - est now May 31, or so)

04/27/11 - Leaf Purchased
04/28/11 - CA CCSE Rebated Filed
04/28/11 - CA DMV Paperwork mailed off (Carpool & Parking Sticker, separate envelopes, VIN only)
05/20/11 - CA CCSE Rebated Check Received via USPS
05/23/11 - Title received from DMV.
05/25/11 - DMV Check for parking decal chased
tbd - DMV Check for carpool stickets
tbd - Carpool & Parking Sticker Received
tbd - Plates

03/30/11 - Leaf Purchased
04/02/11 - CA DMV Personalized Plates Ordered
04/04/11 - CA CCSE Rebated Filed
04/11/11 - CA CCSE Rebated Check Received via USPS
04/11/11 - CA DMV Paperwork mailed off (Carpool & Parking Sticker, one envelope, VIN only)
05/04/11 - CA Plates Received
05/20/11 - DMV Check chased (Carpool & Parking Sticker - license plate # written on back of cancelled check)
05/26/11 - Carpool & Parking Sticker Received!!! (same envelope)
tbd - Personalized Plates Received

Latest update of prior posts (new info in bold italics) ...

•4/21 - picked up Leaf 4/21; PD says it is best to wait for plates
•5/7 - after reading various posts in this thread, decide to mail in forms anyway
•5/9 - while plates have not arrived, pink slip with license plate number does (just "the way o' the world")
•5/11 - license plates in today's mail
5/26 - HOV stickers arrived (5/23 check cashed)
•future update for arrival of EV parking decal (estimate of June 10, or so)

it looks like they batched the processing of the EV sticker envelopes:

Car purchased:3/12
PD informed me of License Plate:4/22
Application sent: 4/22
Application approved: 5/13
Check cashed:5/18
HOV sticker arrived:5/26

Here are my details. I am a little late in posting these though.

03/09/11 - Leaf Purchased
03/14/11 - CA DMV Personalized Plates Ordered
03/10/11 - CA CCSE Rebated Filed
03/21/11 - CA CCSE Rebated Check Received via USPS
04/11/11 - CA DMV Paperwork mailed off (Carpool & EV Parking Sticker)
05/05/11 - CA Plates Received
05/11/11 - DMV Check cashed (Carpool & Parking Sticker)
05/14/11 - Carpool & EV Parking Sticker Received (Same envelope)
05/26/11 - Personalized Plates Received (GAS ZRO) after surrendering original plates

Fabio said:
DMV told me today that my HOV paperwork was processed on 5/13, the check cleared on 5/18 but I'm still commuting on the non-HOV lane.
If I don't receive the stickers (which I haven't as of 5/26), I was told by the DMV that I need to wait until 6/17 before they would process a replacement form :evil:

The DMV sent back my original application and my original check, and claimed the decals were issued on 5/12. (Which happens to be the day my parking decal was issued.) Since they never cashed the check, I think whoever processed it was confused by the parking decal. Hmpf. So...I am sending it all back to them.

Back