Anyone get their CA HOV stickers?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sent off all my forms/checks yesterday 10 days after purchase. 1 envelope. No license plate number - just the VIN.

We shall see....I figured after all my posts about doing it this way last time w/my Prius (sans plates), I had to walk the walk...

33 days after delivery my VIN is still not in the DMV database. I'm getting frustrated, even more seeing all those <censure/> abusing the HOV lane on 101

My understanding of the green CA HOV stickers is only the plug-in Prius will qualify. The present version of the Chevy Volt fails the evaporative emission requirement for the gas tank. GM knew it but didn't care. They will fix it on the next revision of the Volt. In either case they aren't available till 2012.

evmike said:
My understanding of the green CA HOV stickers is only the plug-in Prius will qualify. The present version of the Chevy Volt fails the evaporative emission requirement for the gas tank. GM knew it but didn't care. They will fix it on the next revision of the Volt. In either case they aren't available till 2012.
The Volt isn't eligible for the HOV sticker because GM hasn't submitted the Volt for certification, and it hasn't submitted the Volt for testing because (1) it takes a long time to complete the tests and (2) GM would need to provide a ten year/150,000 mile warranty for the Volt powertrain and the current warranty is only eight years/100,000 miles. GM has said that after it completes the nationwide rollout it will submit the Volt for certification in 2012, and no doubt it will be certified. http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/chevy-volt-to-get-california-tax-credit-in-2012/ Given that the Volt has never failed an emissions test, your claim that that the Volt has failed one is so off-base that one has to wonder about your motivation for posting such false statements.

This is particularly true since the issues has been discussed at length and even blogged about by Chelsea Sexton, who six months ago was pointing out the absurdity of CARB regulations that end up denying cars that can run in EV mode at highway speeds an HOV sticker while issuing stickers to cars that HAVE to run on an iCE at highway speeds. http://green.autoblog.com/2010/09/28/chelsea-sexton-sb535-hov-access-for-plug-in-and-the-unintended/

It's been four days since I took delivery and I have the forms all filled out and ready to be dropped in the mail. Has anyone actually received stickers and NOT filled out the plate info? Should I just hold off and wait until I get the plates?

z0ner said:
It's been four days since I took delivery and I have the forms all filled out and ready to be dropped in the mail. Has anyone actually received stickers and NOT filled out the plate info? Should I just hold off and wait until I get the plates?
Quite surprisingly my plates arrived in one week. Can't really answer if you can do it without plates but if they arrive as fast as mine did you won't have to.

Do your best to make sure the dealer's DMV person lists the Leaf as being powered by Electricity rather than Gas. Even though I told my sales guy to follow-up on this when I picked up the car my pinkslip still arrived with the wrong fuel type. They also called it a sedan rather than a hatchback.

I believe this will delay the issuance of the carpool stickers as even though the fuel type is encoded into the VIN, the DMV still requires the pinkslip/registration form to be correct before issuing carpool stickers. The only way to correct this is to take the vehicle to the DMV and go through the vehicle verification process.

Yet another reason (poor pricing, inflated DMV fees,incompetence at filling out DMV forms) to avoid Premier Nissan in San Jose.

I just received the registration. Is MP where power is indicated?

nkole said:
Do your best to make sure the dealer's DMV person lists the Leaf as being powered by Electricity rather than Gas. Even though I told my sales guy to follow-up on this when I picked up the car my pinkslip still arrived with the wrong fuel type. They also called it a sedan rather than a hatchback.

I believe this will delay the issuance of the carpool stickers as even though the fuel type is encoded into the VIN, the DMV still requires the pinkslip/registration form to be correct before issuing carpool stickers. The only way to correct this is to take the vehicle to the DMV and go through the vehicle verification process.

Yet another reason (poor pricing, inflated DMV fees,incompetence at filling out DMV forms) to avoid Premier Nissan in San Jose.

Another DMV snafu:

Bought the Leaf on 3/29/11. Dealership sent my registration to the wrong address. I specified to the finance department in writing that I use my PO Box, instead of the house address (no mailbox at the house, originally at the street, removed for security reasons).

Additionally, I haven't received my payment invoice (payment is due May 3). The dealer said that the DMV no longer lets people send new license plates to PO Boxes as of 6 months ago. Why didn't they tell me this when I picked-up the car? :evil:

So, this will delay my getting the CA HOV stickers.

Fortunately, I received my $5K CA rebate which didn't require a license plate number.

****wife works for the SJ police dept., so everything goes to our po box, including our drivers licenses.****

stickers arrived yesterday. 4 weeks from delivery of car, and some of that waiting for plates. DMV has really been on it, and I'm pleasantly surprised.

I sent in the two sticker-request forms without plate numbers about 2 weeks ago. Checks not yet cashed.

My dealer called to say that THEY had received my plates 2 days ago, so the plates could be here this coming Friday or Saturday.

palmermd said:
gasmiser1 said:
Another DMV snafu:

Seems to me that this is a DEALER snafu not a DMV one.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Possibly, however I feel the problem was a bit of the DMV and dealership sharing of the screw-up. The DMV should have caught the po box issue and rejected the registration. The dealership must substituted my physical address at the DMV counter, rather than call me to confirm.

Ready2plugin said:
I tried since I pre-ordered my plates, but unfortunately it takes just as long because you have to wait for your VIN to be on file with the DMV in order to pick-up your custom plates. Hopefully I will be able to apply soon....still commuting in the hybrid until then.

I assigned my custom plates to another car last October, and when those plates arrived, I went to AAA Auto Club to get normal plates for the other car, and ticked the box on the form to "retain special plates".

When the LEAF arrives, have dealer print you a bill of sale and assign the special plate to the LEAF. You'll have to do this at DMV; Auto Club can't because the vehicle won't be in the DMV system yet.

If your dealer retained money to pay the DMV fees when you buy the car, you will get an "incomplete" registration (looks just like a normal Kalifornia registration, with "incomplete" typed on top).

If the dealer did NOT take money from you, just pay the fees. Congrats, you're done with DMV until next year. Don't forget to mount your plates in the DMV parking lot and remove dealer installed DMV sticker in right front windshield.

SanDust said:
GM has said that after it completes the nationwide rollout it will submit the Volt for certification in 2012, and no doubt it will be certified. http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/chevy-volt-to-get-california-tax-credit-in-2012/
I apologize for taking this off topic but you make it sound like once GM submits a Volt for certification all Volts will then be eligible for the CA HOV stickers and I don't think that will be the case. The other thing is I immediately found the article you linked to suspect because even if the Volt qualified now it would be eligible for a $3000 rebate not $5000. http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/factsheets/clean_vehicle_incentives.pdf

This Bloomberg article about Volt certification seems more balanced to me http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-10-27/chevy-volt-buyers-won-t-get-california-s-3-000-rebate-for-2011-on-rating.html

gasmiser1 said:
****wife works for the SJ police dept., so everything goes to our po box, including our drivers licenses.****

'Confidentially' on your licenses and plates has worked well for me in the past. All address inquiries come back to the PD vs your home addy but DMV communication still goes to the home.

..do I trust the DMV though? hmm, then again - maybe the way you're doing it is better :)

palmermd said:
stickers arrived yesterday. 4 weeks from delivery of car, and some of that waiting for plates. DMV has really been on it, and I'm pleasantly surprised.
It is now six weeks for me and I haven't received the stickers. Three weeks to get plates - now three weeks waiting for stickers. The delay for the plates could have been caused by the dealer (who charged a $100 service fee to process things slowly). The delay for the stickers is probably the state. Since I work in a paper-free workplace I marvel that we still pay state employees to process this stuff.

Back