Anyone get their CA HOV stickers?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will probably call, but I was debating whether I should drive it forever without getting the plates! Who would know? No taxes either I guess. On I-680, I would be run over if drove under 60. ;)

fooljoe said:
wishboneash said:
It has been 2 months now. No sign of DMV plates. Ridiculous. Fortunately I drive slow (between 55-60mph on the freeway) and don't intend to get mowed down in the car-pool lanes. However, it would be nice to get it to avoid the wait at the metering lights or the ocassional bridge crossing.

You don't have to wait for your plates to send in your sticker applications. Call the DMV and they should be able to give you your license plate number as long as your VIN is in the system, which after 2 months it should be. Depending on whom you get, they may say that you have to go in to an office to get the plate number, but they gave them to me over the phone on the 3rd attempt (see my earlier post). I still don't have plates but I've been cruising the 405 in the carpool lane for a week now. :)

wishboneash said:
No taxes either I guess.
You will very likely find the clock starting ticking on your sale date. I mailed the form and checks several days ago. The parking sticker is the one I really pine for...

To those who have received the ZEV parking sticker: did you also get some kind of paper certificate showing proof? I have one for the HOV stickers but can't find mine for the parking sticker and I don't remember ever getting one.

malloryk said:
To those who have received the ZEV parking sticker: did you also get some kind of paper certificate showing proof?
No. Just got sticker and a new copy of vehicle registration, but it appeared identical to the vehicle registration I got with HOV stickers (i.e. not indication that I had a ZEB parking permit).

dlich18 said:
malloryk said:
To those who have received the ZEV parking sticker: did you also get some kind of paper certificate showing proof?
No. Just got sticker and a new copy of vehicle registration, but it appeared identical to the vehicle registration I got with HOV stickers (i.e. not indication that I had a ZEB parking permit).

yeah that's what I got too. I just tried calling DMV to see if I could get one and they referred me to the Air Resource Board, who told me to call DMV. I got a parking ticket so I wanted to make a copy to send to them to prove I have the sticker.

dlich18 said:
malloryk said:

I think the DMV has to make a change to the registration which may explain why the parking sticker is taking longer to deliver - they don't have a way to document the parking sticker on the registration. I noticed the registration has the HOV sticker S/N but the parking sticker S/N does not appear on the registration. For proof, I recommend a photo of the EV sticker with S/N in view or send them your vin, plate, and EV parking and maybe they have a record of your application form. When I contacted the DMV about my missing EV parking sticker the DMV special unit contact did not know about EV parking stickers so brace yourself.

dlich18 said:
malloryk said:

+1-----exactly the same with me.

mwalsh said:
Nekota said:
For proof, I recommend a photo of the EV sticker with S/N in view.....
I too was concerned that the only record of that sticker's serial number would be one I'd make myself.
Not to mention loss due to damage or theft. The EV parking sticker seems quite easy to remove, especially when compared to the HOV stickers.

mwalsh said:
Nekota said:
For proof, I recommend a photo of the EV sticker with S/N in view.....

Great minds, etc....! That's precisely what I did. I too was concerned that the only record of that sticker's serial number would be one I'd make myself.

That's what I ended up doing. :)

I received our HOV and parking decals today in one envelope. I sent in two forms one check. The check cleared on 8/3 and the stickers arrived today 8/8.

What is also interesting is that when I sent in application my LEAF was still associated with the standard issue plates but I switched to personalized plates before receiving the stickers. The DMV correctly mapped my VIN to the new plates so the HOV stickers I received had the correct plate number in the certificate.

It looks like the biggest variable in this equation is how quickly and effectively does your dealer get paperwork through to the DMV.

arnold

arnolddeleon said:
I received our HOV and parking decals today in one envelope. I sent in two forms one check. The check cleared on 8/3 and the stickers arrived today 8/8.

What is also interesting is that when I sent in application my LEAF was still associated with the standard issue plates but I switched to personalized plates before receiving the stickers. The DMV correctly mapped my VIN to the new plates so the HOV stickers I received had the correct plate number in the certificate.

It looks like the biggest variable in this equation is how quickly and effectively does your dealer get paperwork through to the DMV.

arnold

I sent two forms and two checks in on July 18th. HOV check cleared 8/4...no stickers yet. Hoping to see them today.

-Matt

I'm having a lot of fun with the ZEV Parking Sticker. I first applied back in May for both stickers, one envelope, two checks. Got back both applications and both checks saying I had to wait for my license plates (they still haven't arrived BTW). Once I knew they got my registration, I sent both applications and both checks back in one envelope. Mid July, the $8 check gets cashed, my HOV stickers arrive with my registration. Another envelope with my ZEV parking application with a note that says I have to send it back in with a check. I call them up and told them I gave them a check, they said since it hasn't been cashed, it might have got stuck inside the envelope and was shredded, so I should send in a new check with the application.

I've been busy, hadn't had a chance to do so.. Three weeks later, my check arrives with a note that says I need to send it in with an application.. AYE AYE AYE!!!

xtremeflyer said:
I'm having a lot of fun with the ZEV Parking Sticker. I first applied back in May for both stickers, one envelope, two checks. Got back both applications and both checks saying I had to wait for my license plates (they still haven't arrived BTW). Once I knew they got my registration, I sent both applications and both checks back in one envelope. Mid July, the $8 check gets cashed, my HOV stickers arrive with my registration. Another envelope with my ZEV parking application with a note that says I have to send it back in with a check. I call them up and told them I gave them a check, they said since it hasn't been cashed, it might have got stuck inside the envelope and was shredded, so I should send in a new check with the application.

I've been busy, hadn't had a chance to do so.. Three weeks later, my check arrives with a note that says I need to send it in with an application.. AYE AYE AYE!!!

jeez, unbelievable!

7/3/2011 - Picked up Leaf
7/11/2011 - Mailed HOV and Parking Sticker apps (separate checks and envelopes) without license plate
7/18/2011 - Called DMV, got license plate number, re-sent HOV and Parking Stickers (separate checks and envelopes) with license plate number
7/21/2011 - First Applications denied
8/4/2011 - HOV check cashed
8/11/2011 - HOV sticker received

Waiting for Parking sticker, check not yet cashed.

-Matt

I have just sent my third $8 check to the DMV. The first one went missing along with my original application in early June. I sent in a second application with a second check in mid-July. When I returned from a week on the East Coast, I found an envelope from the DMV along with my second application informing me that I needed to send an $8 check!!!! I rather mildly suggested that if they set up an online application and payment process they could eliminate the problem of missing and lost pieces of paper. I hope to receive the stickers before the program expires at the end of 2015.

Based in part on my experience getting HOV and EV Parking plus from the feedback on others on getting these stickers I would send the HOV and EVParking as separate documents using two stamps and envelopes if I had to start from the beginning. The license plate seems to take about a month. Some are successful at reducing the time by a week or two by using the VIN and Lic/Applied for shortcut.

oakwcj said:
I have just sent my third $8 check to the DMV. The first one went missing along with my original application in early June. I sent in a second application with a second check in mid-July. When I returned from a week on the East Coast, I found an envelope from the DMV along with my second application informing me that I needed to send an $8 check!!!! I rather mildly suggested that if they set up an online application and payment process they could eliminate the problem of missing and lost pieces of paper. I hope to receive the stickers before the program expires at the end of 2015.

I will be happy if I get my CA plates by the time the program ends.

wishboneash said:
oakwcj said:

I will be happy if I get my CA plates by the time the program ends.

I feel your pain. I'd suggest a side bet, but, with our luck, we'd both lose.

I separately mailed in the HOV and EV parking applications July 20th. I got both of them in the same envelope today August 18th. The checks were cashed a week apart. I guess they were waiting for the EV parking stickers and figured they could save $0.34 if held up my HOV stickers.

My original application March 12th was rejected after a month because they wanted a copy of my registration. Of course they being the DMV have access to such information but they never sent my registration or plates so after a month I had to personally go to the DMV to get the custom plates and say I don't know what happened to the plates or registration.

An interesting feature of the registration form is it has my HOV sticker number but not the EV parking number.

Back