Anyone get their CA HOV stickers?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave,
I don't have a direct phone number, but at 2.5 weeks, I think it's a little early to investigate. It looks like a person or two above did get theirs pretty fast, but I think the average turnaround time is somewhere between 30 and 60 days.

It took 60 days for me...

davekern said:
Does anyone know the number I would call at DMV about HOV stickers?
Try
916-657-8035 or 916-657-6560 for the CA DMV special processing unit, who handles these stickers. Expect busy signals or waits. The form itself says to allow 3 weeks processing time, and they are probably backlogged a bit with the run of Leafs being delivered, so you might be a little over-amped about it after only 2-1/2 weeks, though.

TT

Ok, thanks for the info. Looks like I will wait a little longer. The Leaf has certainly taught me that skill! Also, thanks for the numbers if that time comes around.

Dave

Final update of prior posts (new info in bold italics) ...

•4/21 - picked up Leaf; PD says it is best to wait for plates
•5/7 - after reading various posts in this thread, decide to mail in forms anyway
•5/9 - while plates have not arrived, pink slip with license plate number does (just "the way o' the world")
•5/11 - license plates in today's mail
•5/26 - HOV stickers arrived (5/23 check cashed)
6/4 - EV parking decal in today's mail (6/1 check cashed)

I am looking for a little guidance here.

1. I picked up my car yesterday from the dealer, who uses online registration with the CA DMV.
2. I ordered personalized plates which are sitting at the DMV now. (I know because I went down to beg the DMV to hold onto them when delivery moved from April to May to June. Yadda yadda.)

Can I walk into the DMV today, pick up my personalized plates, and then begin the HOV sticker application process? Or do I need to let some time pass for the DMV to catch up with itself and send me a permanent registration and plates I will not be using?

Any prior experience you could share is appreciated.

BlueSL said:
I am looking for a little guidance here.

1. I picked up my car yesterday from the dealer, who uses online registration with the CA DMV.
2. I ordered personalized plates which are sitting at the DMV now. (I know because I went down to beg the DMV to hold onto them when delivery moved from April to May to June. Yadda yadda.)

Can I walk into the DMV today, pick up my personalized plates, and then begin the HOV sticker application process? Or do I need to let some time pass for the DMV to catch up with itself and send me a permanent registration and plates I will not be using?

Any prior experience you could share is appreciated.

To get your personalized plates you need to trade in your current plates. The process you used for ordering personalized plates is for replacing existing plates, not new registrations. I think you need to wait until you get your new plates.

I do have a related question. I have personalized plates on order and I just got my HOV stickers. What is the process regarding HOV and ZEV stickers when my personalized plates arrive? Do I need to get new ones or does DMV handle all this when I trade my plates in?

There seem to be so many variables here... I ordered Press Plates for my car and they showed up a week after I sent in my application even though I had not yet received the regular plates or plate number. So, apparently you don't need to wait for the new plates in some cases. There is just no rhythm or reason to what the CA DMV does (or doesn't do)!

jcesare said:
To get your personalized plates you need to trade in your current plates. The process you used for ordering personalized plates is for replacing existing plates, not new registrations. I think you need to wait until you get your new plates.

mogur said:
There seem to be so many variables here... I ordered Press Plates for my car and they showed up a week after I sent in my application even though I had not yet received the regular plates or plate number. So, apparently you don't need to wait for the new plates in some cases. There is just no rhythm or reason to what the CA DMV does (or doesn't do)!

jcesare said:

Press Plates are in the category of "Special License Plates" and require supporting documentation. It's not the same process as personalized plates. The personalized plates sold online require that you swap them for existing plates. You don't need a VIN# or a plate# at the time or order.

This is also true with Ham Radio plates, which I have on my MC...

jcesare said:
Press Plates are in the category of "Special License Plates" and require supporting documentation. It's not the same process as personalized plates. The personalized plates sold online require that you swap them for existing plates. You don't need a VIN# or a plate# at the time or order.

mogur said:
This is also true with Ham Radio plates, which I have on my MC...

jcesare said:

Yes. There are Amateur Radio, Antique Motorcycle, Congressional Medal of Honor, Historical Vehicle, Honorary Consul, Horseless Carriage, Legion of Valor, Pearl Harbor Survivor, Purple Heart Recipient, Press Photographer, and Year of Manufacture License Plates. These plates require the Special License Plate Application, require proof or documentation, and cannot be ordered online. Also, there are Personalized Livery and American Ex-Prisoner of War License Plates that require the Special Interest License Plate Application, and cannot be ordered online.
http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/vr_info.htm#BM2517

I picked up my Leaf on 5.9 in San Jose / Stevens Creek Nissan.
they filed the (regular/not special interest) plate application - and I called DMV periodically to check if they'd recieved it - finally todays 6.8 call response said yes...but they couldn't give me the plate number on the phone - I went to a DMV office and got it, filled in the blank on the HOV sticker application and sent it off - hopefully I'll get my stickers by 7.1!
RickJ

gasmiser1 said:
5/11/11 send in the applications for the HOV and ZEV parking stickers--paid with one check to the DMV. (I had my CA license number and plates in hand)

6/2/11 received both HOV and ZEV stickers in the mail.
------------------------------------------------------
NOTE:

There are 2 separate applications- one for HOV and one for ZEV.

However, the po box for CA DMV is the same for both.

Save yourself a hassle--use one check for both and mail both applications in the same envelope to the DMV. This will speed-up getting the stickers :cool:

gasmiser1 said:
There are 2 separate applications- one for HOV and one for ZEV.

However, the po box for CA DMV is the same for both.

Save yourself a hassle--use one check for both and mail both applications in the same envelope to the DMV. This will speed-up getting the stickers :cool:

I did the same... worked great.

Back when I got yellow stickers for my Civic Hybrid, you could just write NEW in the space for the plate number and it worked fine (I got my stickers within a week, way before I got plates). Is that not the case for the white stickers?

I finally got my plates from the DMV, so then its off to AAA tomorrow to exchange them for my personalized plates!

Then I can register for the HOV lanes and the Parking decal. I am a bit confused about the parking decal, is it just for EV parking spots or can you get
free parking in some areas where you normally have to pay to park?

I sent mine in as soon as i got the Leaf since I had read on here that some people sent it in without putting the license plate number. I received the application and checks back today with a note that said I could resubmit once I receive my registration.

Sigh..

Back