Anyone else out there constantly shifting between modes

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In ECO it is like 0kW at 0%, 25kW at 45%, 50kW at 90% and 80kW after kickdown button (last 10%).
If you push it almost the the floor, it will be around 50kW of motor power.

2015 S. I've been driving for a week now, and seem to have settled into the following:

• Default mode is D;
  • Shift to B when approaching stop light/sign, traffic congestion, turn, etc.;
  • Use ECO only in low-speed situations where acceleration is pretty much irrelevant (parking lots, for example, where I actually feel more in control with ECO).
Oddly enough, I think this might be making me a safer driver, as I seem to be leaving more distance to the car in front of me in anticipation of shifting to B mode (not relying as much on braking). And I'm slower and probably a little more careful when in ECO.

I stay in D most of the time because range conservation is not an issue for me (daily use about 30 to 40 miles), and I enjoy the responsiveness and "normal-ness" of the Leaf when in D. But I do like using B as an alternative or prelude to braking.

David

Nubo said:
pyromancy5 said:
retrodog said:
I used to drive almost exclusively in B mode. But then I realized the most efficient use of momentum was letting it do its thing. Too much loss in the conversion back and forth. So now I'm actively shifting back and forth between B and D as I change areas I'm driving in. I almost never use Eco because, quite frankly, the lack of responsiveness takes most of the fun out of it for me. And the responsiveness is what I love most about the electric motor.

This

There is no meaningful difference in responsiveness between Eco and Normal. Any power level between 0% and 100% is available at any time in either mode.
I beg to differ. It is very noticeable, and that makes it meaningful.

I have been experimenting more with the ECO mode lately. I've found it to be more pleasurable in high traffic situations. I can't really go anywhere fast so there's no reason to be using up all that extra energy for quick takeoffs.

I also seldom drive my Volt in the sports mode. While I consider the Leaf very easy to control in the drive mode, I think the Volt is a bit too jumpy to be driving it in the sports mode regularly.

retrodog said:
Nubo said:
There is no meaningful difference in responsiveness between Eco and Normal. Any power level between 0% and 100% is available at any time in either mode.
I beg to differ. It is very noticeable, and that makes it meaningful.

I have been experimenting more with the ECO mode lately. I've found it to be more pleasurable in high traffic situations. I can't really go anywhere fast so there's no reason to be using up all that extra energy for quick takeoffs.

I also seldom drive my Volt in the sports mode. While I consider the Leaf very easy to control in the drive mode, I think the Volt is a bit too jumpy to be driving it in the sports mode regularly.

I suppose we're just disagreeing on the meaning of "responsive". From my point of view, I can make the car "respond" equally in either mode. The only difference will be my foot position when doing so. And of course that difference in foot position is noticeable.

For some people, that extra foot movement evokes a very strong perception of "slowness". For me, anything you can do in D, I can do in E; moving my foot doesn't bother me and in fact I like the throttle mapping better in E. The car's motor doesn't care either; when commanded to give X amount of torque, it delivers X amount of torque.

I use E Pedal most of the time except when someone is tailgating then I switch to B (Eco is NEVER turned off) because the brake lights only come on when the brakes are touched. Within a few minutes their following distance triples when they begin to realize I can decelerate without warning... :)

Back