Any PHEV minivans on the horizon?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegGuheert

Our minivan is 14.5 years old and I really have no intention of replacing it unless it completely fails (unlikely) or it gets destroyed in a crash. But I would consider replacing it soon if someone offered a PHEV 7-seat minivan with a non-trivial range of 25 to 30 miles or more.

Is there anything like that on the horizon? It seems like such a vehicle could be popular in the U.S.

The Ford C-Max Energi is a minivan, although it may be smaller than you prefer. It will seat 5 and will be sold starting sometime in 2013, at least in some markets:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C-Max_Energi#Hybrid_and_plug-in_hybrid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John K.

jackncoke said:
The Ford C-Max Energi is a minivan, although it may be smaller than you prefer.
Thanks! Yes, the Ford C-Max Energi is the product that got me thinking about this subject again. I would like to have two additional seats and 5 or 10 miles more electric miles than the Ford currently offers. Apparently they have considered a "Grand" version of the Energi, but that was a gasoline-only version.

RegGuheert said:
Apparently they have considered a "Grand" version of the Energi, but that was a gasoline-only version.

S-MAX. Seats 7 and has been in production since 2006. Gasoline and Diesel only, no plans for Hybrid or EV versions that I'm aware of. Also Europe only, with no plans for a US model that I'm aware of.

Sadly, Chrysler has officially scrapped their plans for a PHEV Town & Country. I agree that such a car could be a hit in the US. Looks like we have to keep waiting...

Only "Vans" announced are
- C-Max Energi
- Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

Both are 5 seater, 20 to 25 mile EV range.

What about the test fleet of e-NV200s? I haven't heard anything more about those of late. And while I know those are ostensibly cargo vans, there is a passenger version in ICE form.

An EV or PHEV version of the Nissan Quest would be nice. That is one fine looking mini-van!

jackncoke said:
The Ford C-Max Energi is a minivan, although it may be smaller than you prefer. It will seat 5 and will be sold starting sometime in 2013, at least in some markets:
John K.
It has been a while since I saw the C-Max locked up tight at an auto show this Spring, but it really didn't seem like a minivan to me. More in line with a RAV or CR-V. Wish I could have gotten inside for a real look!

nogajim said:
It has been a while since I saw the C-Max locked up tight at an auto show this Spring, but it really didn't seem like a minivan to me. More in line with a RAV or CR-V. Wish I could have gotten inside for a real look!

I don't consider it a mini-van. It's like a fat Focus.

mwalsh said:
nogajim said:

I don't consider it a mini-van. It's like a fat Focus.

I got a chance to drive one (Hybrid version) next to a Focus EV, and came to the same conclusion. In my mind, a mini-van has sliding doors and seating for 7.

GetOffYourGas said:
I got a chance to drive one (Hybrid version) next to a Focus EV, and came to the same conclusion. In my mind, a mini-van has sliding doors and seating for 7.

And the S-MAX does.

But I was just looking at Ford's UK website and there is, in fact, a Grand C-MAX, and it does seat 7, and it does have sliding rear doors. I haven't found a tool that will let you compare all three side-by-side yet, but it would be interesting to see how the exterior dimensions compare, if nothing else.

mwalsh said:
But I was just looking at Ford's UK website and there is, in fact, a Grand C-MAX, and it does seat 7, and it does have sliding rear doors.
Awesome! It is even bigger than the MAXimum!

mwalsh said:
What about the test fleet of e-NV200s? I haven't heard anything more about those of late. And while I know those are ostensibly cargo vans, there is a passenger version in ICE form.
Good point! I have the brochure right here. They clearly are making taxis for NYC in 2013, but I cannot tell how many seats there are. It's not clear if they will make a passenger version of the electric van or not. I do think I would prefer a PHEV minivan over a pure electric, however.
mwalsh said:
An EV or PHEV version of the Nissan Quest would be nice. That is one fine looking mini-van!
Agreed! We drove a fully-loaded Quest all last weekend while Nissan was struggling to get the brakes reprogrammed in our LEAF. It was very nice!

What you really want is the Tesla Model X. :) Will seat 7 adults:

http://www.teslamotors.com/modelx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is built on the Model S chassis, so it will be at least as much as a similarly equipped Model S (note that the X won't have the 40 kW pack option, only the 60 or the 80.) Tesla says "2013" -- to which I say Dec 31, 2013 for the first delivery if you're really lucky.

The Model S with jump seats seats 7 (the two in the back should be small.)

(Hey, we can all *DREAM* can't we?)

Available only in the EU is:

http://www.pluginamerica.org/vehicles/smith-evs-edison" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I recommend the PlugInAmerica.Org site for checking out what is / will be available:

http://www.pluginamerica.org/vehicles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back