Another reason EVs will fail in the marketplace

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DeaneG said:
On the plus side, there are far fewer dangers posed to cats underhood.

I can relate to your comment. Many years ago when I was a student at Berkeley, a cat got underhood because of the heat from the engine. When I went out to start the car, the fan hit the cat and the result was a broken fan belt and an injured cat that ran away. No such problem with my LEAF.

President Gingrich, as his first act on taking office, repeals the $7500 credit on electric vehicles and instead imposes a tax surtax of $7500 on electric vehicles, stating that part of his jobs program is ensuring that the muffler and brake shops, gas stations, quik-change oil houses, and transmission repair shops are on a path to increasing their employment, thereby saving the middle class. "Everyone must do their share", Gingrich stated,"to help solve the unemployment problem created by the Obama administration's EV subsidy. With this surcharge, only liars can claim that EVs make economic sense". He then pushed a button activating a hydraulic ram that shoved a Nissan Leaf into a crusher brought to the White House just for this occasion. "This crusher will remain on the White House lawn until the last electric vehicle is decommissioned as a reminder of what almost happened to the automobile industry in the United States" he told 'reporters' at Fox Noose.

smkettner said:
I hope Gingrich had his assistant type that memo on a manual typewriter using carbon paper to distribute multiple copies :roll:
"I hope Gingrich had his next wife type that memo on a manual typewriter using carbon paper to distribute multiple copies." There, I fixed it for you. :D

EVDRIVER said:
Funny, Reagan actually removed the solar panels from the WH.
Democrats have to give President Bush due credit (and Republicans give him due blame) for creating the $7,500 EV tax credit. President Obama gets credit for expanding eligibility for the credit per manufacturer, so that latecomers to the EV market like Ford don't get left out. http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-in-hybrid-incentives-but-diesel-fans-unhappy

President Bush gets all the credit (or blame) for creating the $75,000 full-size SUV tax deduction. http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2003-01-20-suvs_x.htm

ranss12 said:
President Gingrich, as his first act on taking office, repeals the $7500 credit on electric vehicles and instead imposes a tax surtax of $7500 on electric vehicles, stating that part of his jobs program is ensuring that the muffler and brake shops, gas stations, quik-change oil houses, and transmission repair shops are on a path to increasing their employment, thereby saving the middle class. "Everyone must do their share", Gingrich stated,"to help solve the unemployment problem created by the Obama administration's EV subsidy. With this surcharge, only liars can claim that EVs make economic sense". He then pushed a button activating a hydraulic ram that shoved a Nissan Leaf into a crusher brought to the White House just for this occasion. "This crusher will remain on the White House lawn until the last electric vehicle is decommissioned as a reminder of what almost happened to the automobile industry in the United States" he told 'reporters' at Fox Noose.

Oh contraire, Pierre. EVs will be required by the lunar colony, since gas engines require an atmosphere.

LakeLeaf said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Oh contraire, Pierre. EVs will be required by the lunar colony, since gas engines require an atmosphere.

Touché!

Lunar Rover - ummm yep it used batteries..
from Lunar Roving Vehicle - Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Roving_Vehicle#Wheels_and_power" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wheels and power
Close-up of wheel showing chevron treads

The wheels were manufactured by General Motors Defense Research Laboratories. Ferenc Paulics was given special recognition by NASA for developing the "resilient wheel.[20] They consisted of a spun aluminum hub and a 32 inches (81 cm) diameter, 9 inches (23 cm) wide tire made of zinc-coated woven 0.033 inches (0.84 mm) diameter steel strands attached to the rim and discs of formed aluminum. Titanium chevrons covered 50 percent of the contact area to provide traction. Inside the tire was a 25.5 inches (65 cm) diameter bump stop frame to protect the hub. Dust guards were mounted above the wheels. Each wheel had its own electric drive made by Delco, DC series-wound motor capable of 0.25 horsepower (190 W) at 10,000 rpm, attached to the wheel via an 80:1 harmonic drive, and a mechanical brake unit.

Maneuvering capability was provided through the use of front and rear steering motors. Each series-wound DC steering motor was capable of 0.1 horsepower (75 W). Both sets of wheels would turn in opposite directions, giving a steering radius of 10 feet (3 m), or could be decoupled so only one set would be used for steering. They could also free-wheel in case of drive failure.

Power was provided by two 36-volt silver-zinc potassium hydroxide non-rechargeable batteries with a capacity of 121 A·h each (a total of 242 A·h), translating into a range of 57 miles (92 km).[15] These were used to power the drive and steering motors and also a 36-volt utility outlet mounted on front of the LRV to power the communications relay unit or the TV camera. LRV batteries and electronics were passively cooled, using change-of-phase wax thermal capacitor packages and reflective, upward-facing radiating surfaces. While driving, radiators were covered with mylar blankets to minimize dust accumulation. When stopped, the astronauts would open the blankets, and manually remove excess dust from the cooling surfaces with hand brushes.

Back