Another goodie for you....Nissan LEAF First Responders Guide

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GroundLoop said:
New info:

The Charger is on the Right side of the car, vertical, and looks to occupy less than half of the "hump". There's room for a bigger unit. :)

Also, there is a dedicated backup battery next to it, just for the brakes.

It looks like more than half to me, and the other half contains the UPS battery, so unless you want to remove it there is not double the space. Hopefully a unit of double the capacity does not need double the space. My thought of just having a second identical unit installed to double the capacity looks to be out as well.

GroundLoop said:
Access to the main Service Plug (emergency disconnect) requires removal of the carpet flap, then three 10mm bolts before the lid is removed and the plug handle accessible. So you don't have to worry about your kids reaching down and grabbing it, or some joker saying "what's this do".

I lifted the flap at the Austin event last weekend. The carpet has a plastic trim and is easy to lift to expose the disconnect cover. The front of the cover has a steel bolt, but the back two fasteners are plastic and I could turn them by hand. It wouldn't take much to 1/4 turn the plastic fasteners, lift the metal cover (bending it out of the way) and then removing the service disconnect plug. Maybe 30 seconds for first-timers without tools.

emergency_disconnect.jpg

So, THAT is described as "three 10mm bolts"?

To me it looks more like one 10mm bolt and two plastic "twist-clips".

Apparently made to "self-destruct" if opened without tools.

That's not a normal bolt, either. You probably need a hex bit to get that out. Photo is a bit blurry.

Perhaps they feel that the plug is either going to be removed by an authorized service tech who will have the correct tool, or in an emergency where you don't particularly care if the cover is damaged - and a damaged cover could be evidence of tampering otherwise.

Might even be a Torx head if they really don't want people messing with it!

Edit: Actually, looking at it some more, that might be a normal bold with a flange, too. Boring!
=Smidge=

You folks are too funny. From hyper analyzing to the best pessimism on the planet. :lol: I really tried to make my description as accurate and usable as possible.

The white things appear to be NYLON - no self-destruction necessary. Use a screw driver of either persuasion or a pair of fingers (as I did - that's how I was able to say they can be turned by hand. ;) )

nylon.jpg

The other end? I called it a bolt because, well, it's a regular garden-variety hex-head with attached washer. No need to remove this at all as the metal lid will easily bend out of the way. (Sure - I...I mean 'a properly trained technician' ;) will remove the bolt with proper tools when servicing the battery pack, but for emergencies? Bend that puppy!)

bolt.jpg

wreath.gif

garygid said:
They "totaled" my wife's car using (practicing with) the "jaws of life".

Seems like three half-turn nylon heads would have been better?

And a meteor crash killed off all the dinosaurs - would have been better to have a really big force field all around the planet - then the humans wouldn't have taken over. wait...that's not the right message, is it?

GroundLoop said:
I would expect a first responder to have a crowbar in one hand, and very little regard for your car in the other. :)

YUP! They are there to save your life!

GroundLoop said:
Here's a weird one -- the San Diego Auto Show Leaf had three bolts instead of the nylon twisters:

110101_144102-10463.JPG

They figured it out that people we messing with it.

Update: No one else checked their delivered LEAF yet ?

I checked a real production LEAF an hour ago. It has the bolts as shown in the photo above. Others can confirm.

Back