Allocation?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I have another question on this topic. I registered on April 25, 2010. If I order my LEAF with a dealer with a small allocation, does this date give me an advantage against a person who orders with a registration obtained when registration was opened here again late this summer? :?

jimcmorr said:
Okay, I have another question on this topic. I registered on April 25, 2010. If I order my LEAF with a dealer with a small allocation, does this date give me an advantage against a person who orders with a registration obtained when registration was opened here again late this summer? :?
When you say "registered" I assume you mean "reserved" and paid the $99 refundable fee. You would have to ask Nissan CS for a definitive answer, but I've not read in MNL of anyone reporting such a benefit. You may be thinking of when Tier 2 states were first opened for orders. People with heritage Tier 2 reservations made during Tier 1-only ordering period were given 30 days to finalize their orders (the "Request A Quote" process) before they system was opened to everyone.

HighDesertDriver said:
jimcmorr said:
When you say "registered" I assume you mean "reserved" and paid the $99 refundable fee. You would have to ask Nissan CS for a definitive answer, but I've not read in MNL of anyone reporting such a benefit. You may be thinking of when Tier 2 states were first opened for orders. People with heritage Tier 2 reservations made during Tier 1-only ordering period were given 30 days to finalize their orders (the "Request A Quote" process) before they system was opened to everyone.

You are correct. I do mean reserved. I will call Nissan CS to see if my $99 bought me anything but bragging rights. I will report back when I find out something.

jimcmorr said:
I think that the answer may be a qualified "yes". Nissan seems to be delivering cars earlier to some customers who placed their actual orders after my own. In each case I've looked at, they had an early reservation date while I made my reservation just a couple of days before placing the order (in a Tier 1 state, if it makes a difference). But it might also just be the logistics of ships and deliveries.

dgpcolorado said:
jimcmorr said:

I think that the answer may be a qualified "yes". Nissan seems to be delivering cars earlier to some customers who placed their actual orders after my own. In each case I've looked at, they had an early reservation date while I made my reservation just a couple of days before placing the order (in a Tier 1 state, if it makes a difference). But it might also just be the logistics of ships and deliveries.

Thanks dg.. I talked with Nissan CS this afternoon but they were not very clear on their answer. They indicated that they have no control over the dealerships. But what you are saying makes sense to me, Nissan would have control over when cars are delivered.

I am concerned about this allocation system and I don't know how soon after I place my order that it might find its way to Nissan if I am among 4 people that order from a dealer that has an allocatoin of 3 LEAFs. And I had hoped that my $99 reservation fee would buy me something besides bragging rights.

I am getting close to the time where I can feel comfortable financialy with placing my order. It would have been a lot better if we had sold our house and moved to Georgia (GA $5000 state incentive. NH $0 state incentive.) But the house deal fell through and there seems to be little interest in it. I will refinance it late this month. Then I can order my LEAF! :D

jimcmorr said:
...I am concerned about this allocation system and I don't know how soon after I place my order that it might find its way to Nissan if I am among 4 people that order from a dealer that has an allocatoin of 3 LEAFs. And I had hoped that my $99 reservation fee would buy me something besides bragging rights...
That's not how it works. When selecting a dealer and doing the "request a quote" you will be shown a list of LEAF certified dealers within your specified distance of your address (up to 200 miles, IIRC). If a dealer has already used its allocation for the month it will be blocked, your reservation date has nothing to do with it. You can still negotiate with any dealer you want and if the one you like has used the monthly allocation you can just place your order at the beginning of the next month. But if you are allowed to accept a quote from a dealer, your order will count against that month's allocation for that dealer.

Regardless, you should contact dealers and negotiate a price before selecting a dealer and formally requesting a quote. Then once you have accepted the quote your order gets placed in the manufacturing queue by Nissan. At present they seem to be delivering in the early part of the window presented when you first request the quote.

TomT said:
Always remember that the CS folks are generally ill-informed and only one small step above worthless...

jimcmorr said:
I talked with Nissan CS this afternoon but they were not very clear on their answer.

Ya, that is exactly what I was thinking as I was talking with him.

Went to my dealership today to see if my car had come in yet. Was down that way anyhow, no luck. Still have a date of 11/28. While I was there I asked the dealer, why with a demo on the lot for over a month doesn't their web page say test drives available. I would think they would want to advertise. There response was, it's not like a customer can order one, they still have to go thru the Nissan web site. Apparently they don't really want to sell any Leafs. They say they are still hamstrung with allocations. This does not make any sense to me......... :roll:

Back