All "Future" battery technology thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RegGuheert said:
gsleaf said:
"They expect to bring it to the market within a year."
I'm thinking there must be some universal law of the universe that says if you are writing an article about new battery technology you MUST include a statement like the one above! :cool:
It probably takes a year just to get UL approval.

Herm said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Is this a factor for other battery technology ideas floating around?

Yes it is, they usually call it volumetric density vs energy density. Light weight is important for vehicles but not so for stationary storage.
There are two types of energy density for batteries: Gravimetric Energy Density, aka Specific Energy, which is usually measured in Wh/kg;

and

Volumetric Energy Density, Wh/L.

"energy density" is often used loosely when referring to Specific Energy, and unless specifically stated that's usually what is being referred to when energy density is mentioned in relation to EVs. If you see "Specific Energy" being used, that's usually an indication that the source will use "energy density" when referring to volumetric energy density.

HTH,

DaveinOlyWA said:
Ok, is it April Fools again already?
From what I can tell, the photo has nothing to do with the story, it's just some paint cans someone decided would go well with it. Otherwise, it seems genuine.

davewill said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Ok, is it April Fools again already?
From what I can tell, the photo has nothing to do with the story, it's just some paint cans someone decided would go well with it. Otherwise, it seems genuine.

ya i know. just being funny. i have actually seen the same story in a few different places. charge storage technology is where its at. develop a cheap, efficient way to store large amounts of electrical energy and you will own the world.

lots of announcements. sure its all early, but shows that a lot of minds are on the task.

After a flurry of noise and articles from Eniva systems about getting to 400 wh/Kg at half the price in late Feb, it has pretty quiet for the last few months. The CTO mentioned that they have done 400 cycles with only marginal degradation and they are cycling still to get to 100 cycles and will publish the results.

I haven't heard anything since then and their website has no new information either.

mkjayakumar said:
After a flurry of noise and articles from Eniva systems about getting to 400 wh/Kg at half the price in late Feb, it has pretty quiet for the last few months. The CTO mentioned that they have done 400 cycles with only marginal degradation and they are cycling still to get to 100 cycles and will publish the results.

I haven't heard anything since then and their website has no new information either.

something like this needs to go thru a vetting process of sorts and i would think that would take at least 4-6 months. obviously the more money one has, the quicker this can be done...

DaveinOlyWA said:
mkjayakumar said:

something like this needs to go thru a vetting process of sorts and i would think that would take at least 4-6 months. obviously the more money one has, the quicker this can be done...
I'm sure Envia's Feb. announcement was basically trolling for venture capital to finance development and maybe put them into production, if they weren't planning to license it. Silence since then could indicate that they've got it and are now beavering away, or else that it was all smoke and mirrors like many battery breakthrough announcements and this now goes to join that long list of such breakthroughs that never get commercialized. I'm enough of an optimist to hope for the former, but enough of a pessimist to expect the latter.

GRA said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
mkjayakumar said:

Ya pretty much what I said

Vetting process=trolling for venture capital

I'm sure Envia's Feb. announcement was basically trolling for venture capital to finance development and maybe put them into production, if they weren't planning to license it. Silence since then could indicate that they've got it and are now beavering away, or else that it was all smoke and mirrors like many battery breakthrough announcements and this now goes to join that long list of such breakthroughs that never get commercialized. I'm enough of an optimist to hope for the former, but enough of a pessimist to expect the latter.

No more tofu, if you want a lighter battery:

http://www.aviationpros.com/news/10746226/top-boeing-engineering-award-goes-to-battery-research" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a $12K, 70kW h, 340-mile-Zinc-Air Battery possibly available 2013:
http://gas2.org/2012/07/25/12000-340-mile-zinc-air-battery-could-hit-markets-next-year/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IM-gas2+%28Gas+2.0%29&utm_content=Yahoo!+Mail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm wondering if that chemistry can take the 'heat'. Anyone know? Thanks!

"$12,000, 340 Mile Zinc-Air Battery Could Hit Markets Next Year"

Yes, and I could also be hit by lightning 7 days in a row... but I don't plan to avoid going out side this week.

Stoaty said:

Yes, and I could also be hit by lightning 7 days in a row... but I don't plan to avoid going out side this week.

So you believe the odds are that high huh? That's okay, some of us are a little more optimistic than others I guess. We see the glass half full and I guess you see it half empty. It's okay to be a pessimist.
This one joins the list with the new A123 battery, but I'm willing to bet this one will beat the A123 to market. EOS said that they will use them for electric storage first, then EVs.

LEAFfan said:
So you believe the odds are that high huh? That's okay, some of us are a little more optimistic than others I guess. We see the glass half full and I guess you see it half empty. It's okay to be a pessimist.
Not a pessimist--a realist. I think steady progress will be made in battery technology with accompanying cost reduction, but I also predict that 90% of these "miracle breakthroughs" will never be commercialized. Fortunately, that still leaves 5-10% that may make the cut. However, I think these are more likely to be evolutionary than revolutionary. Of course, I hope to be proved wrong.

LEAFfan said:
Stoaty said:

This one joins the list with the new A123 battery, but I'm willing to bet this one will beat the A123 to market. EOS said that they will use them for electric storage first, then EVs.
Wasn't the new A123 battery the one that blew up and destroyed GM's battery test cell during torture testing?

GRA said:
LEAFfan said:
Stoaty said:

Wasn't the new A123 battery the one that blew up and destroyed GM's battery test cell during torture testing?[/quote

No, that wasn't their 400 wh one.

Back