air conditioner problem

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before my lease ended on May 31, I brought my 2013 SV to my local dealer, because the A/C seemed a little weak, but only occasionally. They assured me that the A/C was fine. In the last few weeks I have taken two similar ~50 mile trips, with similar results: the A/C works fine until my last stop (interestingly, at the same grocery store on the way home), but when I start the car back up for the last leg home, at about 35 miles, the A/C is suddenly very weak. It doesn't seem to matter much which drive mode I'm in. It's naturally a little stronger with Recirculate on, but not strong enough to keep the car comfortable cool on a hot day, just cool-er. I bought an extended warranty that covers the A/C so the car is still covered, but this ticks me off. There have been A/C recalls for the S but I was assured that the SV isn't included. Is anyone else having this issue with a 2013 SV?

Leftie,

2 months ago, my 2013 SV blew an A/C hose. Destination Nissan even denied my extended warranty coverage, because the warranty only covers "hard parts." So replacing the rubber parts and recharging the system cost me $600. My local independent said he could have done it for $400. He also could have done better by using a generic hose instead of the OEM hose.

So if you are like me, without a factory warranty, I'd suggest your trusted local mechanic for a/c work.

LeftieBiker said:
... Is anyone else having this issue with a 2013 SV?
My 2011 LEAF developed intermittent AC and blower operation.
It was caused by a very dirty nearly plugged cabin air filter.
Check that first.

But the AC has similar to yours become a bit weak in extremely hot weather.
When new you could sit parked in 100F weather and AC would work forever.
Now it still works most of the time.
But once in a while after 30 minutes or so something gets too hot or too high a pressure and AC will quit working until vehicle is moving again.

TimLee said:
LeftieBiker said:
... Is anyone else having this issue with a 2013 SV?
My 2011 LEAF developed intermittent AC and blower operation.
It was caused by a very dirty nearly plugged cabin air filter.
Check that first.

But the AC has similar to yours become a bit weak in extremely hot weather.
When new you could sit parked in 100F weather and AC would work forever.
Now it still works most of the time.
But once in a while after 30 minutes or so something gets too hot or too high a pressure and AC will quit working until vehicle is moving again.

There was a software update on the 2011s that reduced the maximum allowable compressor speed when the car is not moving. The 2015 is the same way so I believe all years do this now. The effect is less cooling when sitting still, much like an idling ICEV. It is only noticeable during extremely hot temperatures while sitting in traffic or in slightly cooler temperatures if parked for extended time (using LEAF as portable office, for example). I complained to my dealer and the EV Customer Service line about the change made to the 2011, but was told no change was made (by EV line) and that the change was part of the software update by Nissan and nothing could be done (by dealer). As an example, in 100F or higher temperatures the HVAC draws 1.5 kW maximum while sitting still (from NAV screen energy use display in 2015). It will draw over 4 kW when traveling above 20 mi/hr if maximum cooling is needed. The maximum compressor draw will ramp up from 1.5 kW as vehicle reaches some threshold speed of maybe 10 or 12 mi/hr and reach full power once speed exceeds 18 or 20 mi/hr. You can mitigate this effect a bit by switching to recirculate when stopped in traffic if the car is already cooled down.

Gerry

The issue with mine doesn't get better when the car is moving. I'm not even sure how bad it is with the car stopped. Hey, Staque, we're practically neighbors, although I live North of Albany, near Mechanicville. I leased my car at Destination, but I've watched the reviews of that place rise and fall, had service done there once, and am very unimpressed. I'm using Fuccillo (Ick, terrible TV ads, mixed reviews) Nissan in Latham, because they are much closer, and they at least haven't messed up the car yet.

Anyway, the warranty I bought doesn't mention "hard" or "soft" parts, and it does mention the A/C very clearly. It's sold by Nissan dealers, and they have to honor it. I believe it's the "Preferred Plus Gold Plan" or some crap like that. I got it on sale for about $350, paid in 0% interest monthly installments, and can cancel it when I turn the car in. I figure if I bring the car in now they won't be able to duplicate the problem, so I'll have to wait for it to worsen, and if it doesn't, my problem will be solved by climate when Fall arrives, and whoever buys this otherwise-great car will have to deal with it.

GerryAZ said:
... There was a software update on the 2011s that reduced the maximum allowable compressor speed when the car is not moving. ...

Gerry
I did not know that.

Do you know which software change included it?

To the best of my knowledge my 2011 has only had two software changes.
The first was at about six months that changed warning chimes and also tweaked the status of charge display.
Was the AC change in there too?

The other software change was P3227.
Which I finally had done a month back when I lost fourth capacity bar.

Possible cabin filter is fouling again.
Pollen has been heavy this year.

I doubt it's the cabin air filter. When replaced at about 8k miles it was only half dirty, and I only have 14k miles on the car now. I drove about 15 miles in hot humid weather today, and the A/C worked fine. It seems to take a longer drive, with a stop after 30 miles or so, to initiate the malfunction...

Tim,

The early software update that changed the chimes and gave us the "Shift to P Range" dashboard warning with driver door open when not in Park is the one that changed the A/C. The description in the recall notice mentioned changes to the air conditioning system in addition to the other changes, but did not give any detailed information.

Gerry

Back