Advice for installing Level 2 station at the house

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SimplyDan said:
I know there can be a dropoff over distance, could it be this severe?

RonDawg said:
SimplyDan said:
One thing I noticed is according to the app, it is only drawing 27+- amps while charging versus the 40 the JuiceBox can do. Is this normal?

Yes. Leafs can only draw a maximum of 6.6 kW (27.5 amps at 240 volts) and some Leafs (pre-2013, Leaf S w/o QC package) can only draw 3.8 kW.

Moreover, the dropoff you mention will be over Volt, and not Amperage. If the Voltage was sagging, I would expect the Amperage to be higher to compensate (Power = Voltage * Current). You probably have 240V at your EVSE, or darn close to it.

BTW, I like the addition of the extra 120V outlets - a smart move IMO.

GetOffYourGas said:
.....BTW, I like the addition of the extra 120V outlets - a smart move IMO.
Agree........just so long as it's on it's own circuit. IOW not shared with the 50a outlet on the same breaker :shock:

My car doesn't go in the garage, so my L2 EVSE needs to be secured so that no one can randomly use the charger without my permission.

Here's how I did it:

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

I cut a slot in the electrical box housing the 110v 20A plug and the 220v 40A plug and used rubber/metallic Edge Trim on the bare metal edge to protect my cord.

Back