Accessory Battery -- when is it charged?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happydutch

Hey just started driving a Leaf, and have a L2 charger connected overnight on timer. I charge to 80% during the week.

This afternoon after a short commute I checked the accessory battery and it showed up as 55% charged.

When is the accessory battery charged? I thought it was a part of the battery charging cycle, so expected it to be 90%+. Or could it be that the short commute and the use of the seat warmer drained it?

Thanks!

Thank you! Way too much consideration for car that should just drive, electric or not. It's crazy to lift the hood every week to top off the accessory battery.

Considering the good engineering that went into this car, I am surprised and puzzled Nissan's engineers didn't come up with something better.

Is this an universal problem with the Leaf?

I suggest a hardwired battery maintainer lead, with the plug end terminating in the charge port compartment. We shouldn't have to do this, but given that many do, it's the best way to get charge it without having to open the hood.

happydutch said:
Thank you! Way too much consideration for car that should just drive, electric or not. It's crazy to lift the hood every week to top off the accessory battery.

Considering the good engineering that went into this car, I am surprised and puzzled Nissan's engineers didn't come up with something better.

Is this an universal problem with the Leaf?
Top off the accessory battery? I've never heard of this before.

I'm on my second Leaf as daily drivers for well over 3 years. Most of my daytime trips max at a few miles and evening trips at under 2. I've never had a single 12v battery problem and use seat heaters onstantly in the winter and audio constantly year round. My air pump for tire inflation is run off the 12v battery and I use that every few weeks too without the car "running". Can other people have different experiences? Of course. But theirs do not mean the battery universally needs weekly attention any more than mine means you never have to consider it at all.

happydutch said:
This afternoon after a short commute I checked the accessory battery and it showed up as 55% charged.

How do you check the 12v battery charge percentage?

I assume the solar panel will somewhat help in this kind of situation by maintaining the charge (not really recharge it back to full)?

For low mileage drivers, you might consider charging on L1 instead of L2. I don't know if it will make much difference, but charging for 8-10 hrs L1 overnight, might be better than 2-3 hrs L2 overnight.

@hmmwv my charger has a % display.

Maybe I am overly concerned... I have read somewhere else the leaf main battery will kick in to charge it if the accessory battery gets too low. As long as it doesn't run empty on a trip I'm OK.

As for life reduction due to not fully charged... as long it lasts for 3-4 years, I don't mind.

happydutch said:
@hmmwv my charger has a % display.

Maybe I am overly concerned... I have read somewhere else the leaf main battery will kick in to charge it if the accessory battery gets too low. As long as it doesn't run empty on a trip I'm OK.

As for life reduction due to not fully charged... as long it lasts for 3-4 years, I don't mind.

I see, so you hooked it up to a 12V battery charger/maintainer like the ones for any other cars.

Here in the manual talks about the 12v battery charging scheme:

CHARGING THE 12-VOLT BATTERY
The 12-volt battery is charged automatically using
electricity stored in the Li-ion battery.
When the 12-volt battery is being charged, the
charge status indicator light on the instrument
panel flashes. (except when charging the Li-ion
battery or the power switch is in the READY to
drive position.) See Charge status indicator
light in the Charge section.
While vehicle is driven
The Li-ion battery charges the 12-volt battery as
necessary when the power switch is in the
READY to drive position or ON position.
The 12-volt battery is not charged in the following
conditions.
• When the power switch is in ACC position.
• When the power switch is in ON position and
shift position is in the N (Neutal) position.
While the vehicle is not in use
When the EV (Electric Vehicle) system is off for
an extended time, the 12-volt battery may be
automatically charged for a short period of time
on a regular basis.

I bought my car four months ago. It still has the original battery. I had some trouble with a dead battery in the beginning, but that was after leaving the blue-tooth OBD device plugged into the port for extended periods. I topped off the battery cells with distilled water and charged it with an external charger. I have not had any issues since then. I have the car timer set to start charging at 2am. I normally charge to 80%, and occasionally to 100%. I leave it connected after charging so that I can run the AC using charge power to cool the car down before leaving. I don't drive every day, and have left it plugged in for as long as four days with no problems.

@hmmwv thank you! Seems I am too worried.

I guess I should download the PDF of the manual. I have been using the brick that came with the car (fattest car manual ever seen...).

Thank you @baustin.

---

After a week, really like the feel of my Leaf. I had a Saab 9-3 which I like(d), but I feel a new friendship is shaping :)

OK, after a long ride on Saturday, and having the car in the Garage on Sunday, I needed to run an errand.

Battery completely dead. The charger (a decent quality charger) thought it was a 6V battery; it didn't want to charge it at first at 12V.

Seems battery is pretty much shot. Hope a new one will keep me out of trouble for a few years. But it is concerning you cannot rely on it to be ready. I am going to find one of these Li-ION jump starters and put it in the trunk. It's silly it is needed.

I bought one of these on a daily deal from Amazon for $48 in January. http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000XQ9MGE/ref=sr_ph_1?&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ie=UTF8&qid=1436780681&sr=1&keywords=portable+jump+starter

After the first dead battery incident, I just left it in the car. After the second time, I removed the tie-down and checked the battery cells. All of them were low, so I topped them off with distilled water. I charged the battery, and have not had any problems since then.

I thought about putting in an AGM battery, but they are around $180, and I can get a regular battery installed for $90 at Sam's Club. After the dealer told me the 12v battery is covered by the 3/36 warranty, I decided not to worry about it anymore until it needs replaced.

Back