About to be a 2011 Leaf Owner! Question on service from Public and Private EVSE Charging Stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadget619

Hi Everyone,

I am soon to become the owner of a 2011 Nissan Leaf with a brand new 24kW battery. Who should I sign up with for use of charging stations when necessary?

I am in San Diego, CA.

Get all the access cards available that do not require a monthly access fee. Options in charging is what you want. Then get accustomed to Plugshare.com, because you will then learn what charging stations are around you.

Jedlacks said:
Get all the access cards available that do not require a monthly access fee. Options in charging is what you want. Then get accustomed to Plugshare.com, because you will then learn what charging stations are around you.

Is there a list of all the access cards somewhere on the forum? Thanks!

I recall seeing a list somewhere. Personally I like charge point because most the stations have reasonable rates. There are some free ones. I also have a blink car to use on the rare free station. Most the blink stations I see are about $.59 per kWh, I would only use that in an emergency.

Gadget619 said:
Jedlacks said:

It's best if you look on PlugShare to see what networks are active in the areas where you plan to travel. In my immediate area, ChargePoint is the most prevalent, but I do travel to areas where Blink is more common. I have a Greenlots smartphone app as well as a keyfob and app for EVConnect who runs LA Metro's car charging network. I also have a card from nRG evGO which seems to have the most non-dealer-installed quick chargers in my area, though they tend to be pricey.

Gadget619 said:
I am soon to become the owner of a 2011 Nissan Leaf with a brand new 24kW battery.
It is 24 kWh, not kW.

kW and kWh are very different metrics. It's the same as confusing gallons with horsepower. Think of kW = horsepower, kWh = gallons.

(BTW, 1 hp = ~0.746 kW. And, many .gov sites says 1 gallon of gasoline=33.7 kWh.)
RonDawg said:
Gadget619 said:
Jedlacks said:

It's best if you look on PlugShare to see what networks are active in the areas where you plan to travel.
Yep on RonDawg's advice. EVconnect doesn't exist up here in Nor Cal, AFAIK.

Tonyt said:
I recall seeing a list somewhere. Personally I like charge point because most the stations have reasonable rates. There are some free ones. I also have a blink car to use on the rare free station. Most the blink stations I see are about $.59 per kWh, I would only use that in an emergency.

Anyone happen to know how to find the "list"? Thanks for all those who contributed suggestions/advice!

Back