Abandoned Leaf on 405 freeway?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
I can do that and have a good 20 miles left.
Sure, but who wants a car they can never use to do anything else but commute? No going to lunch, or taking a side trip to the hardware store? I think that 30 miles one way commute distance is a good yardstick for someone thinking of buying a LEAF.

There isnt a damn thing in this article that you wouldnt know after driving a Leaf in LA traffic for a month or two.
Why do these magazines persist in sending Leaf virgins out to give advice about how to commute or get around.
Ask us. We'll tell you.
Or just read the forum.

I commute the 405 and drive by the Century exit IN the HOV lane EVERY day.
It is perfect for my commute of 55 miles.
I get home with 20-25 left and that is WITH charging to 80%.

Talk about publishing some wrong information. Why not have a vegetarian cook a whole pig, and then complain that it is raw inside?

and what a pathetic story about whining to the CHP officer about crossing the double-solid yellow line?
You know that is illegal, unless you are a cop.

Nissan should open up an investigation into this matter. After all he was driving their car and he was cited by the CHP. As they investigate they'll learn what his real motive was. New headline reads, "Nissan investigates cited Edmunds reporter who purposely ran LEAF out of charge on highway endangering other drivers".

That's what's crazy, he didn't run out of charge! If you read the 3rd blog post about this issue (the latter one I posted), he indicated that he wasn't sure how much farther he could go, so he preferred if a tow truck showed up. He ended up driving another 5 miles instead of waiting for the tow to another location where he could plug in and charge up.

DarkStar said:
That's what's crazy, he didn't run out of charge! If you read the 3rd blog post about this issue (the latter one I posted), he indicated that he wasn't sure how much farther he could go, so he preferred if a tow truck showed up. He ended up driving another 5 miles instead of waiting for the tow to another location where he could plug in and charge up.
Yes, but that doesn't square with the photo at the top of this post. That LEAF has been abandoned and marked by the CHP. You can see the tag in the back window.

According to the article:

He didn't run out of charge, the dreaded triple dashes scared him into thinking he'd better get a tow. Despite the fact that he could have tried at least going a bit further and pulling off onto an exit. Or attempting the rest of the trip anyway. He would be no worse off than he was then. At least I give him credit for recognizing his idiocy and having the guts to publish it to the world. Either that, or he doesn't realize he just let the world know he was an idiot. :?

But then, as ENIAC has noted, it doesn't square with that photo. The OP didn't mention seeing a CHP either. So, the mystery remains unsolved as of yet...

The tag is so that other CHP officers will know that the car has been checked, it doesn't have to be abandoned. You can't see into the vehicle in the photo, he could have been sitting in it.

davewill said:
The tag is so that other CHP officers will know that the car has been checked, it doesn't have to be abandoned. You can't see into the vehicle in the photo, he could have been sitting in it.
So you think he got a ticket and they marked the car at that point? Possible I guess. The original poster said it was abandoned. Presumably he could see in the car as he passed and didn't notice anyone. Also, I checked the ticket he posted and the licence is the same. So that is the car he was in.

TRONZ said:
If he were a pilot, the FAA would have him in a small room about now asking about basic airmanship, required fuel reserves... while terminating his license/career.

Actually, the FAA is unfunded right now, so those guys are furloughed. Just ATC and a few other "required" folks left.

I sure didn't see any driver in it as I passed, but it wasn't a thorough inspection. Traffic was crawling and I was fumbling to take the photo, plus there was the CHP sticker on the back.

Back